Author Topic: Poker by Numbers  (Read 88813 times)

sharky_uk

• Bronze Member
Re: Poker by Numbers
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 21:59:51 PM »

I could probably write a book with my thoughts on the final table and a sequel about the heads up. It was fascinating to watch and it's amazing how much you can take in when you take a step back from the action. Everyone played really well, a special shout out to Mike who finished in 4th, a good result for us young'uns. I thought that the heads up was EPIC. Both guys played it great with really contrasting styles and either one would have been a deserving winner.

If you decide to write the book I would buy it! Seriously though I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the final table and especially the heads-up play.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 22:37:15 PM by sharky_uk »

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 13:16:17 PM »
I decided when I started playing poker regularly six months ago that I would keep a spreadsheet detailing all my tournament results and cash game returns. First of all I would recommend this to everybody, its been massively useful for me as a tool to review my spend and general analysis of where I am making and losing money. It has now become even more useful with money on a number of different sites.

I realised last week that in the 6 months I had been playing, I had only won 1 tournament. That was a $2 buy in 22 runner Furness game back in October. To make some excuses, I don't have massive tournament volume and I have made a few final tables with 2 decent second place scores but it was clear that there was a definite lack of wins. Thankfully, like buses, two have come along at once this week. I won the Furness game on Monday (only 14 runners but still a win) and the PLO bunch of fives last night. My bottom line for 2011 is looking very respectable now. I have recorded 3 back to back profitable months and a first live cash which is more than I could have hoped for. I should be able to follow that up with a profitable April after this weeks results. Most importantly I have had 3 months of profitable cash game play. I still believe it is almost free money at the micro stakes if you grind. Usually play 3-4 90minute sessions a week and keeps me ticking along.

I love Pot Limit Omaha. It was only my second PLO tournament last night but already feeling fairly comfortable playing now. In truth there seem to be a lot of comparisons between PLO and Texas holdem with the core skills of hand/boarding reading, understanding position and ranges and bet sizing being all important. It is just seems to be a little more taxing on the brain! PLO is a nice change from the norm though and will try and play as much as possible. Nothing planned on the live scene for a while so will just keep pushing online with the bunch of fives, online league, online championships etc. Been some great banter at the tables recently so look forward to more of that.

Off to the greyhound racing tonight with work, ***must not blow bankroll***.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 13:37:45 PM »
Nice run at the moment Mark, long may it continue mate. Impressive win in the PLO considering your lack of experience  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
My run good continues, managed to make a profit of £76.50 at the dogs yesterday. Did £5 stake for each race. 12 races and managed to find 6 winners including a 4/1 and a 5/1. Didnt think I would enjoy it that much but the gambling bug did take hold, I expect I could get excited for a snail race if there was money on it.

Final week one bunch of fives tonight. 5000 chips, twenty minute blinds, could be a long one.

The sun is out, all is rosy.

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
Final week one bunch of fives tonight. 5000 chips, twenty minute blinds, could be a long one.

This post was obviously a jinx  ;)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
Variance is such an odd thing.. got knocked out of the bunch of fives in 12th after playing pretty decent. Similar story in the online sat when I lost a big flip. Then managed to win the Furness game for the second week running. Less glory this week though, sucked out when three handed with AJ when I rivered a straight against AK. The cards were with me in the relatively short heads up battle. Still a good win and will be going for three in a row next week. Worth pointing out for people that haven"t played it... last 2 weeks there have been 13 & 14 runners with $25 added and cracking banter. Plus it seems at least half of the people playing are called Ian so lots of VALUE.  8)

Going to try and put a calendar of poker events together for the next 6 months. Dying to play as much live as possible but need to hunt out the value. Still haven"t been to DTD yet, may have a shot at the 1600 runner event, pretty sure a few APAT"ers will be giving that one a whirl.

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 15:34:25 PM »
The cards were with me in the relatively short heads up battle.

I don"t think I helped myself much by three-betting you whilst trying to represent a king on a king-high flop, when you had pocket kings  :D  

Still a good win and will be going for three in a row next week. Worth pointing out for people that haven"t played it... last 2 weeks there have been 13 & 14 runners with $25 added and cracking banter. Plus it seems at least half of the people playing are called Ian so lots of VALUE.  8)

I hope that Mr Selkirk and Mr Matthews also read this  ;)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 16:15:10 PM »
The Bunch of Fives promotion seems to have gone down really nicely. The structures of all the events are really good with sensible finishing times for those with work with the next morning. The banter and table chatter has been top notch and I like it that you can rail and chat after your knocked out, I hope these continue in the future. I know I will certainly be playing them. Saying that, the short handed tourney last night went terribly, I played like a total donk. I always tend to over think when playing specific short handed tournaments more than I would do if I got to that stage in a generic MTT. I always 3 and 4 bet too light and generally try and push people around and act like a maniac. I was out in 15 minutes. I feel more confident 6 handed but I like playing these tournaments as its where I probably have the most to learn.

I have been running really good this month in general and hope I can carry this through to the online championship tourneys tomorrow. Doing well in $2 - $5 MTT's is only ever going to get you so far. Still trying to plan poker weekends and struggling. I may try and target some satellites into £100-£500 events. There seems to be a wealth of these sort of tourneys over the next 6 months, just don't have the bankroll to buy directly in though. Booked off work ready for Cardiff, planning on staying the Friday and Sat night and going back Sunday evening no matter how I run in the Main event and 6 max. It just seems so far away! I have a week off from work over Easter as well so can put in some table time playing cash which I have neglected in the past couple of weeks.

I spent 3 years at uni being a complete bum with no commitments and endless time on my hand. I graduate, get a demanding job and discover poker! Epic Fail.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 21:16:07 PM »

I spent 3 years at uni being a complete bum with no commitments and endless time on my hand. I graduate, get a demanding job and discover poker! Epic Fail.

:D Love It
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »

VBlue

• Silver Member
    • Northern Poker Stars
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2011, 15:55:05 PM »
When I play live tourneys locally, or not, I look at in two ways.  One, if I want a good structure, and am playing to win money, then I get involved with the running/set my own up, or ensure I know the craic with the game on offer.  Two, if I am just out for a few beers and a social, then it"s not really poker bankroll.

I always like to spend time thinking about my goals (to win money), how am I going to do so (seek out profitable games and play them a lot, work on my game every week) and keep refining and defining, always thinking what can I do next to get better and make more money.

GL and keep focused on your goals.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2011, 13:13:58 PM »

mfcrocker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2011, 14:37:13 PM »
Is the $11 Stars deepstack daily now? I thought it was Sat/Sun only.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2011, 15:16:14 PM »
I thought it said in the info, "daily deepstack" but I may be wrong.

Have you played it? Interested to know how it plays.

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2011, 16:55:59 PM »

Is the $11 Stars deepstack daily now? I thought it was Sat/Sun only.

Unless you fancy playing for 7-12 hours to cash $10-$20 I would leave these tourneys well alone