Author Topic: Poker by Numbers  (Read 88776 times)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Poker by Numbers
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2011, 13:14:19 PM »

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
I decided to book a few days off work last week and am currently relaxing in a haven of roast dinners, hot baths and 60"s swing music - otherwise known as my parents house. I always find it strange but beautiful to return home... I feel like I could easily be 15 again (not that it was that long ago). Arguing with my brother, sitting around a dinner table every night, being brought a hot mug of tea in bed. It always makes me feel nostalgic for a childhood that has not long passed but seems a lifetime ago. I feel lucky to have such a caring family, it just sucks that I have moved away and don"t get to see them as much as I should.

A personal and albeit grandiose thought of mine recently is that I want to start treating those close to me better - my parents, my brother and my girlfriend. It is so easy to get consumed in work, poker and general day to day stuff while ignoring the things that matter the most. It"s not like I need a big overhaul, just a revaluation. I moved out nearly a year ago and haven"t really established a great lifestyle balance.. yet.

On a less profound note - I decided to go for a swim the other day. I have basically done zero excerise in the last 4 years and its another part of my life that I want to get right. I am still skinny as anything and seem to have such a quick metabolism but sure that won"t last for ever. So, not to do things lightly, I decided to swim a mile (roughly 64 lengths). I did 65 in lengths in roughly an hour, will time myself properly next time. I found it pretty tough, particularly after about 40 lengths but got through OK. It is something I am going to try and do regularly when I get back up to my place. I have never enjoyed the gym and, like many people, have wasted money when a new year comes around on memberships I am never going to use. I found my first swim really relaxing so going to give it a shot - at the moment will stick to 65 lengths and try and improve my times - next swim will be this afternoon.

Poker front, I haven"t been putting in tonnes of volume but still doing the online grind. In contrast to my opening paragraphs I may go for a big cash month of another 20K hands in November and try and get my bankroll continuing in the right direction. Not long till WCOAP and can add the 2 £15 DTD tourneys to my schedule to give me a 4 day schedule of potentially 6 tournaments.

Friday - Heads up
Friday - DTD £15
Saturday - Main Event
Sunday - 6 Max
Sunday - DTD £15
Monday - Omaha

Lots of potential in there and like every player - will be dreaming of that one time...

Currently all over this:-

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2011, 17:38:34 PM »
Nice post  :)

See you there and best of luck with poker and more importantly life!
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2011, 19:11:12 PM »

Nice post  :)

See you there and best of luck with poker and more importantly life!

+1 see you at DTD Mark  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2011, 20:23:12 PM »
One more day at work and then ready to rock! A long weekend of wall to wall poker, not sure it gets any better. Looking forward as usual to seeing everyone and putting more names to faces. Discovered APAT almost exactly 12 months ago and watched a lot of last years WCOAP on the live feed. Hope to show how far my game has come in a year. As the hotel seems walking distance ish, I may have to indulge at the bar with some of the regs (no names) I need an overdue induction to the coveted APAT drinking club! :)

Next update will be a coming of age victory story like no other... or just a tale of bad beats. Either way its gonna be EPIC.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Sigh..... back for day two with barely a bowl.... cruising on 70k with a couple of hours left on day 1 and then a bad couple of levels and lost a crucial hand with jacks that knocked all the wind out of my sails.

Couple of quick double ups today would be nice...

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2011, 13:53:03 PM »
Blogging from lovely Cornwall, have been near enough "off the grid" for the last few weeks since the WCOAP. I had written a massively long post after DTD but ended up scrapping it and going for the much shorter trip report of:- played the best poker I have ever played live but didn't make any cashes although made my second APAT day 2 (albeit three hands of day 2). Feeling so much more confident playing live now but still making errors that I spot afterwards... need to cut these out to go really deep in one of these.

I have spent the last two weeks down here in Cornwall doing some work for a local school helping them implement new I.T kit at the start of the new school year. Very hectic but really enjoying it and a nice break from the monotony of sitting behind a desk every day. Done the sightseeing thing with the girlfriend as well which was cool - Eden project, Lands End, St. Ives.

Heading back to reality this weekend. Going to plan some more live poker before the end of the year and get an online grind going again. Need to set myself a challenge... will have a think.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2011, 23:04:25 PM »
Did my first 12 hour online Sunday grind yesterday - 9am until 9pm playing micro MTT"s on stars [ ] Went well

Finished and wondered where the day had gone... must do that again.

I have twitter - @mporter123. Will do chip updates and stuff mostly I expect.. gotta keep up with the trends. Oh and will be avaliable for the Team Championships should anyone need a player..

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2011, 22:12:32 PM »
Sat with numerous cups of tea over the last 2 and a half hours reading the blatch grimming thread on Blonde after hearing cliffs at APAT Cardiff earlier this year..

:o

Just wow.

Was wondering the other day why APAT didn"t have staking threads, now wondering why any forum would have them!

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2011, 20:36:01 PM »
Grass roots Sunday grind at its best.....

$1 tourney - started at 4pm

16/129 - out of 5939

$924 up top and guaranteed $4.75... time to do a win

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2011, 20:58:34 PM »
Nearly broke the clutch, I went through the gears so fast that level

At Break 5:-

6/95

267K v 125K average at 2K/4K

$5.93 banked

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2011, 21:22:50 PM »
Good luck Mark, FT where"s the money"s at so get it sorted mate. Nice preformance so far  8)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2011, 21:58:34 PM »
17/42

229K v 282K Ave @ 4K/8K

Strangled by aggro monsters on my right, and getting no action with AA, 1010 and JJ.

Need some good spots now, make or break next level

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2011, 22:41:56 PM »

17/42

229K v 282K Ave @ 4K/8K

Strangled by aggro monsters on my right, and getting no action with AA, 1010 and JJ.

Need some good spots now, make or break next level

Still fine mate, almost 30BBs so no carnage needed just yet. Just keep doing what you"re doing and absolutely pick the right spots against the aggro monsters. I got action twice yesterday with JJ and take my word for it you don"t necessarily want that  :D

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 22:58:01 PM »
17/24

334K vs 494K ave

Interesting level, doubled with AA>AK

Fairly quiet apart from that. Going into 10K/20K, all about getting the shoves right now.