Author Topic: Poker by Numbers  (Read 88781 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Poker by Numbers
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2012, 15:23:47 PM »
40K hands in a month is a sick target, even for Zoom. Personally I found that giving volume targets just encouraged me to try and play when I should not have been playing. As long as you can aviod that though and do take breaks when you know you need them I reckon you will do well.

Good luck with it.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Its about 40 hours worth as can get through 1K hands per hour 3tabling 6 max zoom.

I have taken to playing 1K hand sessions with a 5 min break after 500 hands. Its been fairly easy so far but expect I may struggle this week as lots of other stuff going on. I am sure I will get to the target though - might even take me to Silverstar.

I like volume targets although agree that it can lead to playing when we shouldn"t be. I usually play fairly long tourney sessions anyway though so this seems much easier. I always need the motivation though.

If anyone has a spare 5 minutes today read Olivier Busquet"s latest blog entry - http://olivierbusquet.com/Blog/

So many talented writers and great blogs in the poker industry.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2012, 17:05:00 PM »
I hate cash, why would anyone want to play cash? What seemed therapeutic last Saturday has quickly becoming mind numbingly boring. Yes we are losing.

Challenge cancelled as got a couple of busy weekends coming up and would rather play tourneys. Got through 10K hands, not that volume was really the issue.

Also my girlfriend is unwell and has been signed off from work so I am going to be the caring boyfriend. My poor parents house below...

First one taken from the roof looking forward:-

and the back garden:-

I wish I lived closer to my home as my parents are both really distraught. The bottom floor of the house needs to be completely gutted as was under 1ft of water. All that water in the back garden got their through the lounge! It seems they will not be able to move back in for potentially 18 months.  :(

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2012, 18:33:49 PM »
Wow, that"s awful Mark.  Where abouts do they live ?

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2012, 19:17:41 PM »
Shocking, really feel for anyone caught out in those circumstances.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »
They live down in Bognor Regis. It was a strange one really, lots of rain and the street just started to fill up. Our house is at the lowest point of the street so took the full brunt of it.

Every time a car came down the street it just sent waves through the lounge! In the middle of the street it was waist deep, humorous scenes of my dad with the dog on his shoulders trying to take him out for a "walk".

It is awful luck as we were the only house in the street that actually got swamped. It was made worse as the police refused to close the road until cars started getting stuck and needing to be towed out (sending more waves into our house). Also the clever decision was made to open a man hole cover initially to try and drain some water away. That unleashed a whole heap of poo pain that led the health authorities to getting my parents to move out.

Frustrating as its going to be stressful time for my parents for the next x number of months. Insurance will pay at least.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
Finally managed to find a NL Holdem result last night.

Finished 4th out of 1437 runners in a $3 6 max for $280. My biggest online cash and kicks the bankroll up above $750 ish.

Very pleased with the result - love playing six max. Just frustrating not to close as was $730 up top..

I may put 50% ish up of a Sunday schedule this weekend. Can somebody ship me $0.01 cent on stars and I will send back when I get in tonight? I want to check that I can receive transfers ok. Send to Mark_Port157. Taaa

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2012, 14:32:51 PM »
I may put 50% ish up of a Sunday schedule this weekend. Can somebody ship me $0.01 cent on stars and I will send back when I get in tonight? I want to check that I can receive transfers ok. Send to Mark_Port157. Taaa

Sent you a silver dollar Mark  ;)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2012, 14:46:49 PM »
Thanks, got an email confirming and I have received.

Bankroll is now $751....

Will send back when I get in Ian  :)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »

Viva Las Vegas!!

Finally booked my Vegas trip! 8 nights in The Mirage from the 11th September to the 19th. Less than two months to go and its going to come round fast. So so excited!

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2012, 21:13:58 PM »
Travel Money - A mix of cash and card (depends how much poker you want to play, the more you want to play, the more cash I"d recommend). Avoid debit cards unless there"s an emergency. I"d recommend a Travelex cash passport (or similar currency card). No charges for ATM withdrawals, can reload online and not linked to your bank account. Credit card would be good if you can find one that doesn"t charge for FX, but it"s far more hassle than a currency card. You"ll probably need one to check in though.

GC/HD - Worth it, even if just to say "been there". Am told best way to see it is via helicopter. Myself and family did an excursion, minibus from the Strip, via Hoover dam to a ranch, bit of horse riding, then a helicopter flight from there. There are loads of trips available on the Strip, not sure which is best or whether it"s best to book prior - but don"t pay more than £200 (my excursion was most of the day and was around $200-250 I think a couple of years back. Hazy memory).

Car Hire - Don"t bother imo, there"s nowhere to go anyway. You"ll pay a surcharge if you"re under 25 I expect, but car hire out there is pretty reasonable if you do decide to take the plunge. Buses are frequent and easy to use, $7 per 24 hours. Only worth hiring a car for a day if you want to drive to a Wal-Mart to shop and save money on eating out, or to drive to the Hoover Dam/GC yourself.

Shows - There are discount ticket sellers on the Strip (Tix 4 Tonight). Get your tickets either the day before or on the day and you"ll have up to 50% off. Definitely don"t go via a box office. You can also get discounted buffet and restaurant vouchers. I"d recommend the Rio buffet, and Hugo"s Cellar downtown at 4 Queens ($3 will get you 25% off the total bill, and it"s incredible food + romantic old school atmosphere for your missus. They"ll give her a rose on entry so that"ll keep her happy I"m sure ;) )

Downtown - Definitely worth going. It"s cheaper, dirtier and more genuine than the Strip. Freemont Experience (LED light show) every hour and free music on the stage there (not all year though). Get there via bus.

Attractions - Don"t do the CSI Experience, or the Treasure Island buffet. Woeful. Depends on your tastes, but you won"t struggle to find stuff to do, free or otherwise.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2012, 21:46:15 PM »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2012, 13:55:37 PM »

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2012, 14:40:32 PM »
Ah, that"s so harsh bud! Nothing quite like taking a shot (I know you freerolled your way there, but still) to ensure you run like dog**** when it matters.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.