Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257090 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Back to reality - 2011
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2011, 21:28:37 PM »
A lot APAT business to take care of at the moment for me.
I have booked up Newcastle flight and hotel. I have booked time off work and flight for Vegas.

Now to the business of selecting the Welsh team. Unlike the Team Championship in January this team event is extermely serious but to be one of the Captain of the Welsh team is a major honour, especially considering how successful the Welsh have been. Myself and Darren have the ideal two teams in our mind but it depends on if those players are available and who else puts themselves forward but we want to get the teams selected soon to give everybody the chance to book up their flights and hotels.

I played another hour of poker tonight and was able to make just over a buyin, but it was all pretty standard stuff tbh.

btw @Brendan or whoever else wants to answer, back to the QQ and 3-Bet of flat. What if it is not QQ but AK? Does that make you more inclinded to 3-Bet/fold? I have been trying doing the flatting thing in position with QQ and JJ and it seems good, still not 100% convinced it is optimal though. I think you can be +EV using both methods but suspect the 3-Bet is more +EV.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2011, 23:03:27 PM »

btw @Brendan or whoever else wants to answer, back to the QQ and 3-Bet of flat. What if it is not QQ but AK? Does that make you more inclinded to 3-Bet/fold? I have been trying doing the flatting thing in position with QQ and JJ and it seems good, still not 100% convinced it is optimal though. I think you can be +EV using both methods but suspect the 3-Bet is more +EV.

The previous discussion and any points made were solely relevent to the very specific scenario......

Early position (ep) unknown raiser, it is wise to give him credit for a tight range until you see evidence to the contrary, likewise expect an even tighter range for continuing versus a 3bet.

That all adds up to flatting over 3 betting and keeping the hands we dominate in the hand.

The other end of the spectrum is the raiser with a wide ep raising range and 3 bet calling range, this is a 3bet spot for sure since he continues with lots of hands we dominate.

Cliff notes:

• 3 bet the hands that do well against his 3 bet calling range

• As their 3 bet calling ranges get tighter, add in 3 bet bluffs

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2011, 17:54:41 PM »

The previous discussion and any points made were solely relevent to the very specific scenario......

Early position (ep) unknown raiser, it is wise to give him credit for a tight range until you see evidence to the contrary, likewise expect an even tighter range for continuing versus a 3bet.

That all adds up to flatting over 3 betting and keeping the hands we dominate in the hand.

The other end of the spectrum is the raiser with a wide ep raising range and 3 bet calling range, this is a 3bet spot for sure since he continues with lots of hands we dominate.

Cliff notes:

• 3 bet the hands that do well against his 3 bet calling range

• As their 3 bet calling ranges get tighter, add in 3 bet bluffs

Sounds about right the more I think about tbh

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2011, 20:10:02 PM »
This last four days I have been sticking to a pretty good disciplined schedule as far as poker goes. I have been getting back from work at around 4:30 - 5pm and have played each evening for about an hour. My results playing the £10nl tables are as follows:-

Tue = +£4
Wed = -£2
Thu = +£13
Fri = +£17

Obviously the figures are rounded up and down to the nearest whole number but I have made 3 buyins over the week for this level and I think I have played well. In the past this used to be pretty standard for me and I will see how I do now this weekend  Even in terms of real money won based on my results so far this week that is a good week. Playing the lower limit takes the actual money out of it more (which becomes a concern even when playing inside your bankroll when you are on an bad run) and makes you more focused on playing correctly and making the right plays. It is not very exciting though and wins and losses mean less. Which is actually a good thing.

What I think I should do here, what I would advise somebody else to do is stay playing at this level for a couple of weeks, maybe a month. Setup a schedule that you stick too and record your results. If you are getting good results then try that same schedule again at the next level up and slowly work your way back to where you are playing confidently but don"t go outside your bankroll. Hmm that sounds like a good idea, I"m good at this pokerz business.

The problem is I have no inclination to do that. I still have more than £600 sat on Sky Poker (so I am actually up on the year which is pretty amazing considering I have been playing useless, I am down at holdem cash but am up at tournaments and Omaha cash) so my brain is saying just go back and play the £30 buyin games again, they are within your bankroll in theory and you know you can beat those players. I am well aware this is not a good idea at this point though.

Well I am going to give my advice a go anyway and see how I do. If my discipline holds out I hope that my game will start to come back together. The plan is from now until the end of next week and I am going to play £10nlhe tables only. I will multi table 4 or 5 tables at a time. I will then record the results and see how I do.

26/03/2011 = 8pm to 9pm (+£19.21)
27/03/2011 = 6:30pm to 7:30pm (+£4.54)
28/03/2011 = 6:30pm to 7:30pm (+£6.39 - changed session time to 9pm to 10pm due to being stuck at work)
29/03/2011 = 5:30pm to 6:30pm (-£12.56)
30/03/2011 = 5:30pm to 6:30pm (+£23.78)
31/03/2011 = 7pm to 8pm (-£5.21)
01/04/2011 = 10am to 12pm (+£5.29)
01/04/2011 = 1pm to 2pm (Did not play)
01/04/2011 = 4pm to 5pm (-£7.21)
02/04/2011 = 10am to 11:30am (Did not play)
03/04/2011 = 4pm to 5pm (Did not Play)

This is 12.5 hours
They say the average winning player should make 5BB/100 - I should point out I have never met they so I have no idea if they has the qualifications to decided this. A suspect you should have a high expectation at this level.

Anyway lets say that I get dealt 250 hands per hour (50 per table) that's 3125 hands
If I can run at 5BB/100 that's 50p I should make per 100 hands

So the expectation based on this should be to win around £15.60 for an average player at this level. Well OK we will see how I go compared to that. I have to be honest and say that sounds ridiculously easy are my calculations even right? I know I may have under estimated the hand per hour but even if it was 70/table then the expectation is still only around £22. Basically what this seems to be saying is that I should be very happy with anything over £25 profit.

Edit for update ended up with a profit of £34.23, but did put in an extra session during which I lost £33.55 so it ended up being basically a break even run.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 13:01:19 PM by AAroddersAA »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2011, 20:06:44 PM »
What an interesting little session today. Again I am pleased with how it went and how I played. As always it came down to how a few specfic hands were played. First one is a QQ hand.

I raised in EP to 40p and get reraised by a player who has not really been out of line, it folds back to me and I flat. Flop is Jack high. I check, he bets 2 and I vall. I check again and he shoves. I don"t see what he could be reraising me with here pre then playing that strong on the flop and turn, so I fold and think that is a good play.

Next hand of interest was when I raise with KQ. I get called and the flop comes queen high. I bet out and again get called and turn turn pairs nines on the board. I check call his shove (he did not have much left) and he show 89. I lose about £4 there.

i then raise again with KQ and get called by another short stack who has about £5 behind. The flop comes queen high. He checks to me and I bet, he shoves and I call. He shows A-Q.

I lose some other small pots and end up down about £12. Then I get KQs. I am OOP in the small blind but when the pretty active button raises I decide to 3bet light.I don"t do this often but it felt like a good spot. He just flats and the pot come A-7-x with two clubs including the ace. I bet as I reckon I can rep the ace and have the nut flush draw. He calls and the turn completes my flush. I think he might have an ace so I make a pot size bet and he reraise me back. I wonder if he might even have two pair or a set so shove he calls with a set of sevens. The river does not help him and I take a pot of about £25 there.

I win a few more pots with cbets and by double barrelling a player who always seems to callc-bets on the flop and give up on the turn.

So yes, good session and I seem to be on my way to recovering my game.

I need to practice by sit n go"s. I have played plenty of PLO cash games but never really played PLO sit n go"s so will get a bit of practce online. MIght do the Blonde sit n go league if there is one next month.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011, 20:43:07 PM »
Poker is going along quite nicely. Even though I lost just over a buyin yesterday I think I played quite well made one call that was not great on the turn but other than that was fine, won"t bored you with some fairly standard hands. I did well today though and won just over two buyins, which was nice. Now I am playing the Take on Tikay for a change from cash.

Over all with my little "experiment" I am now up by £41.36 after playing 5 hour long sessions. If i could just find a way of getting Sky poker to tell me how many hands I have played that would be useful.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2011, 15:13:11 PM »
Finished work early so put in a quick session did not go too well and ended up down £33.55. Hmm should have stayed in work.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2011, 23:21:49 PM »
I have been neglecting this for the last week or so, I have lots of posts I want to make but have been quite busy with non poker related matters. Oh and sorting out the Welsh Home Nations team

Anyway an update on the online cash games is required. One thing is certain, but it"s not exactly anything we don"t already know. If you are not focused on the actual money you do better. I have seen on various media suggestions you should set a target and try and hit it, I am sure this is incorrect. You should play for however long you were going to and come off and be happy if you have made the right plays. This is a lot easier said than done but it is true.

Over the last month or so (about 5 weeks actually) I have been playing 5p/10p and have been doing a good job of being disciplined and not getting hung up on results. In tis time I have made 21 buyins (£210). Not wonderful I know but I would happily make £210 each month for the rest of the year, although I would hope for more to be honest. Once you add the little bit I won in the Take on Tikays for the Blonde league I won about £250 since starting the attempt to improve my play to good disciplined play.

I have the next two days off work and am planning to do 3 one hour sessions each day and see how I do. I will also play the Blonde League and Chezger League tomorrow. I may or may not update this thread on how it goes depending on how I feel. Posting all of my results is not something I like doing as I feel it has a negative impact on my play (I don"t know why).

The Home Nations is coming up in less than two weeks and Wales are in with a great chance of taking it down. We have two excellent teams and will be very hard to beat, in this game though you never really can tell, I just hope the cards are with us.

More posts are coming soon including:-

My thoughts on the APAT Online League
The conclusion to my how it all began story
A little piece of creative writing (I used to write shirt stories) I want to do about APAT

Oh my APAT results this year are not great but I will be trying to improve those in the next couple of weeks as well.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2011, 21:47:01 PM »
How can this possibly be right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRH47J_zuI

I mean Darth Vader would obviously win - silly you tube :-)

Ludovician

« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2011, 18:18:24 PM »

"(I used to write shirt stories)"

Can we expect a short sleeve story or a T-Shirt story or more of a formal evening wear shirt sort of story

;D

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2011, 18:23:23 PM »
So I am driving to work this morning, feeling a bit bad about the fact that next week at the Home Nations there are six teams and only one bronze medal for them to win, when I go to drive into the office car park and somebody jumps out in front of my car. So I brake sharply wondering what emergency could have caused this.

I open the window and some CWU union rep is trying to give me a paper (which it turns out didn"t even have a sports section) and wants me to fill in his form so I can give away some money every month. I politely told him I needed to get to work, what with having a real job to do and eveything and drove around hmm.

In retropsect that was a poor read by me. I should have just driven through him.

Ludovician - I will try when I get the chance, although I how put myself in a bit of a tough spot now - proof reading posts FTW

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2011, 18:09:31 PM »
Had planned to go and watch Newport County today but then realised that it was the APAT UK Online Championship so will be playing poker instead.

19:00 - 40K Gtd on Pokerstars (was hoping for an overlay but does not look likely) - Out, KK lost to AK AIPF for the world
20:00 - APAT Game (KK < AA)
20:30 - Blonde League Deep Stack on Sky Poker (shoved with J5 and lost to QJ)
21:00 - APAT Omaha Game (KKTT < AAxx)

Will add a couple of cash tables on Sky. Won a bit at cash but not much.

Some of the play in these tournaments is pretty poor, surprising.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:05:22 AM by AAroddersAA »

Newportlad

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2011, 22:59:45 PM »
Didnt miss much at County Steve.
They only won 5-0
APAT Ireland 2008 Champion
APAT European 2010 Runner-Up
6 Final Tables
Captain of Team Cardiff. Online Southern Division Winners 2009
Team Cymru 2008
Team Cymru 2009
Team Cymru 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
OK, going to have a go at restarting this properly this month. I have been pretty busy lately withnon poker related stuff (mainly work) but want to start doing updates on each session again and posting hands. Had a great month last month. Won a little bit in live cash (about £80), Wales A won the Home Nations (so was up £250 on that weekend) and I was about £400 up online which is much more like it.

However I did have a problem last time I was trying to do that and whenever I try to do this I don"t seem to do as well as when I am just keeping the results private. I have no idea why. Will start this up tomorrow though and see how it is doing.