Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257083 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2011, 22:23:45 PM »

hmmm not the best move imho guys, are u looking at this in the right way?  cash is about extracting value, is just shoving all in going to be the best EV move?
of course it can be player specific, there is always that, but, really [dramatic pause] shove??

Sorry for taking so long to actually put a response to this together but I wanted to make sure I did a good one. (because Noble has an excellent point here)
Is shoving to go be the most +EV move? I think it is.

He has called a standard raise preflop so I have no idea what he could have at that point. Flop comes down fairly dry (an unlikely straight draw). The King is a good card for me as it hits some of his range.

I "c-bet" for around 3/4 pot and he calls. With so few draws out there, he could have a King or a pair like nines or tens. Yes he could also have a set and if he does it"s nh at this point.

The turn changes nothing but puts a flush draw out there but unless he has something like KQs then it doesn"t help him. We have a pot that is around $5 and he bets $1.50 into it leaving him with about $10 behind. I really do think he has something at this point and calling just seems terrible (there is just not enough air in his range that he is going to barrel on the river). I also think it"s likely he has the king. So I am going to raise. The most sensible raise size is going to be a shove. It would be really unusual for him to call a raise to say $5 but not call an allin. Also even if he does then the river might make the board more scary and even if we are still ahead we may miss value.

I would therefore suggest than in this spot shoving for value is the right play. The only reason to not to raise is if we think he has nothing and will bet the river, I think we lose value with this play.

Rodders look out any material on the subject of the way ahead way behind concept, in position and out of position..
I really think judging by various hh"s i"ve seen you post over time that this will help your game a lot. The biggest leak imho at these stakes is that players over play there over pairs and forgive me if i am wrong but [totally honest sincere etc opinion] it won"t surprise me at all that if you analysed all your hh"s that you maybe a tad leaky with them based on your current thought process. [not just losing to a set etc but losing value in spots when way ahead plus add in minimising your losses, it all adds up to those extra bb"s you can put on your win rate]
Honestly i"m not a big fan of in a vacuum with no reads analysis but on the above hh villains action does not suggest strength imo.. With no reads in general at these stakes villains will cc cc top pair or ch/r turn maybe the flop etc so to shove just lets him play [make his decision easier] his range better.. He can fold all his pp"s [only has 2 outs] his weak FD"s can now find a fold etc etc.. Until i had reads of sorts or a general feel on villains style then i"d treat his weak donk bet as a check and base/treat my action on the turn as that. A smaller bet say $4 may get one more call out of a weak king, a weak FD or 9T 99 TT JJ etc.. Flatting his weak turn donk may get extra on the river from a king etc etc... All in all it would be far easier to assess with some idea/read on villains style etc, so full circle back around to concepts etc, understanding these better than others at your stake level will help you categorise opponent ability and get better general reads/feel with every showdown that you see..

A general quick thought on turn donk bets, it can be used to get value from opponents that you think checks behind a lot. Against opponents that barrel turns frequently, the turn donk bet can hinder there turn bluffs. [all dependent on board texture etc there level of thought] A turn donk can induce some types to over play, bluff or go to far with tptk or over pairs :) etc when you do it for value..
The cc flop lead turn is just a variation/different line on rather than check raising air on a dry flop for instance, we just mix it up, cc lead turn looks more like you have something, it makes it harder for the opponent to put as much air in your range. Its a line you can use for all sorts of purposes, be it bluffing, value or when you pick up draws..
I am definitely not suggesting this opponent grasps the uses of turn donks by the way :)

Sorry in advance if you think you are ok in the over pair department, another stat you could look at [if you have a tracker] is your position stats, look at all hands played ip and oop... [not just losers but winners as well, could"ve you got more value etc, lost less on the losers]

ASK, QUESTION, QUERY + BE CREATIVE. KNOW WHERE THE FOLD BUTTON IS ;)  work on those reads fella :)

Break your game down, if you can afford it then hire a good well regarded coach at the stakes you play. This may help a lot getting the building blocks/thought process/leaks you maybe over looking fine tuned.. Sometimes things just get foggy or we get stuck in a rut and all we need is a nudge in the right direction..

Also ask other friends/poker colleagues who know your game better far more than i do for there no fuss frank opinions on possible weak/leaky areas in your poker style/game etc...

Wales won OMG  :o  England may only score 3 or 4 Tuesday lol  ;)

regards
noble

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2011, 23:03:54 PM »
make sure you sit in the right seat when your playing

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2011, 00:13:58 AM »
Noble, good post again fella. Agree with most of what you say and am well aware of some of the leaks that have come into my game recently (and some that have always been there). As usual your points are well made however in this spot I still like the shove. It"s not as I really think I get called by worse quite a bit.

Obviously I know about the way ahead way behind concept although it entirely possible I don"t apply it well enough. In general what you are saying makes sense.

As for England Vs Wales, I have no idea what the score will be however I would be surprised if it turns out to be much of a contest unfortunately. Really hope I am wrong on that but will not be holding my breath.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2011, 14:11:11 PM »
Well, played around 800 hands today and am somehow down just over 1.5 Buyin"s.

I don"t think I have made a major mistake (which is unusual) and my EV graph shows that I am running more than 4 buyins below EV. This is how I have run this week. The 4 biggest pots I have lost I have got in with at least 60% equity including a 400BB pot where my opponent hit a gutshot on the river.

Looking back at the hands I have played this week and how I have done, I can"t see that I am doing anything wrong, but I have lost every day.

Not too sure how I have managed to be only 1.5BI down today to be honest, hopefully I will start running better soon.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2011, 13:10:48 PM »
So this is what a winning session feels like *lol*

Made a couple of buyins back this morning. Still think I am playing really good PLO at the moment but I seem to be missing a lot of big draws and opponents are hitting them against me, it happens of course. I am arranging a Teamviewer session with one of the really good PLO players over at Blonde and spoke to another one of them last night and he seemed to think this was pretty standard for this game which is good.

Will just keep going more hands to be played this afternoon.

EDIT: Just out of interest what are people opinion on how I play this hand?

Seat 1: freddy spitz ($19.19 in chips)
Seat 2: DaNuts90 ($12.43 in chips)
Seat 3: AAroddersAA ($9.83 in chips)
Seat 4: birbidon ($10.30 in chips)
Seat 5: rhaelor ($10.97 in chips)
Seat 6: Holdem8282 ($7.97 in chips)
DaNuts90: posts small blind $0.05
AAroddersAA: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to AAroddersAA [Ad Ac Qd 5h]
birbidon: folds
rhaelor: raises $0.25 to $0.35
Holdem8282: folds
freddy spitz: folds
DaNuts90: folds
AAroddersAA: calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [Ah 3d 9c]
AAroddersAA: checks
rhaelor: checks
*** TURN *** [Ah 3d 9c] [Kc]
AAroddersAA: bets $0.65
rhaelor: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.65) returned to AAroddersAA
AAroddersAA collected $0.72 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $0.75 | Rake $0.03
Board [Ah 3d 9c Kc]
Seat 1: freddy spitz (button) folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 2: DaNuts90 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: AAroddersAA (big blind) collected ($0.72)
Seat 4: birbidon folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 5: rhaelor folded on the Turn
Seat 6: Holdem8282 folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 15:30:31 PM by AAroddersAA »

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »
Prob re-raise to about 0.85 pre, or given the way you disguised your hand pre, pop in a 45c bet on flop. It"s a dry flop but for a small amount some villains will come along to see a turn. Doubt anyone puts you on AA hole cards betting out on that flop after you flatted pre..............but then again I"m sh** at Omaha and still inexperienced  :D
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »
Had a rest from poker yesterday, Back in work on Thursday, had a nice rest but starting to get bored so will be happy to be back. I am currently playing PLO on Sky Poker 10p/20p was doing really well until I got it all in (for a £60 pot) pre with AAJ9 with one of the aces suited and lost to TTQ9 when he made a straight.

Think something must be wrong even though I can"t see what it is, it really looks to me like I am consistently getting the money in good and getting outdrawn. My hands in Poker Tracker seem to back this up and I am not really getting any back in the way of winning hands from behind either. I feel like I am playing really well but keep losing.

EDIT - and I come off 2 buyins down - straight beaten by a rivered full house (90% of the pot in by the turn, I called his small allin on river).

I am starting to think I should give poker a rest period. My live game is shockingly bad at the moment and I can"t see why I am losing here. It might be time to leave this game alone.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:44:07 PM by AAroddersAA »

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2011, 13:16:57 PM »

Had a rest from poker yesterday, Back in work on Thursday, had a nice rest but starting to get bored so will be happy to be back. I am currently playing PLO on Sky Poker 10p/20p was doing really well until I got it all in (for a £60 pot) pre with AAJ9 with one of the aces suited and lost to TTQ9 when he made a straight.

Think something must be wrong even though I can"t see what it is, it really looks to me like I am consistently getting the money in good and getting outdrawn. My hands in Poker Tracker seem to back this up and I am not really getting any back in the way of winning hands from behind either. I feel like I am playing really well but keep losing.

EDIT - and I come off 2 buyins down - straight beaten by a rivered full house (90% of the pot in by the turn, I called his small allin on river).

I am starting to think I should give poker a rest period. My live game is shockingly bad at the moment and I can"t see why I am losing here. It might be time to leave this game alone.

TBH Steve I"m probably going with villains hand as well (would be keen to know the suits of opponent as well though). Yeah your aces are ahead and yeah one of them is suited but villain has a hand which would be smacked firmly in the face with any reasonably high/paint flop (again would be keen to know were they suited/double suited etc). I had a similar spot when I was all-in pre against Steve Redfern in the PLO at DTD (Think I had a single suited KKxx and he flipped TTJQ double suited) and i commented to Steve that I"d rather have swapped hands before the flop was dealt. Thankfully I doubled up but I"m sure only because we had a really raggy board.

I also had a turned straight in 888 PLO game a couple of nights ago rivered by flush, it"s harsh at the time but you"re favourite with 1 card left so don"t beat yourself up.

Stick at it mate, going through similar running bad spell at the mo myself, so just continue analysing, learning and improving. I"m sure I remember you have a few medals to remind you that you"re generally doing things right  8)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »

TBH Steve I"m probably going with villains hand as well (would be keen to know the suits of opponent as well though). Yeah your aces are ahead and yeah one of them is suited but villain has a hand which would be smacked firmly in the face with any reasonably high/paint flop (again would be keen to know were they suited/double suited etc). I had a similar spot when I was all-in pre against Steve Redfern in the PLO at DTD (Think I had a single suited KKxx and he flipped TTJQ double suited) and i commented to Steve that I"d rather have swapped hands before the flop was dealt. Thankfully I doubled up but I"m sure only because we had a really raggy board.

I also had a turned straight in 888 PLO game a couple of nights ago rivered by flush, it"s harsh at the time but you"re favourite with 1 card left so don"t beat yourself up.

Stick at it mate, going through similar running bad spell at the mo myself, so just continue analysing, learning and improving. I"m sure I remember you have a few medals to remind you that you"re generally doing things right  8)

:-)  Cheers Grant

All very true mate, just felt like a silly rant after a bad week *lol* - it is allowed I checked and everything :-)

Actually I am pretty sure I am playing OK at the moment (not my best but my tracker graph says I am +EV) and I just need to cut out a few silly mistakes I am making. Back at work now anyway so will be forced to take a break from Poker which is not a bad thing.

I have decided not to go to Ireland as there is a football game I am going to that weekend but hopefully will be back for Luton (if Blonde still want me in their team that is *lol*). I am saving the holiday days from Ireland to allow me to play the Pro/Am in London in Dec if I want too.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2011, 18:12:02 PM »
Going to play the £22 8pm on Sky Poker today, I qualified for £4 so that sounds like a good deal. Will also probably play the mini £3 version.

Currently 3/18 in the mini £1 re-buy as well

EDIT - Now 3/4

Busted 4th - Re-shoved with 2-2

Decided not to play the ones tonight, so unregged the £22 one expected it to refund the buyin, but it didn"t wp me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 20:03:50 PM by AAroddersAA »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2011, 18:31:56 PM »
OK, I have had better weeks. I am now not able to make the team event in Luton, which is a great event as I have double booked myself with a trip to London. Oh well. Then England won today FML.

Currently watching the football in ESPN, this season looks like a big Manchester Vs Manchester battle. I think Man Utd will prove to be a little stronger across the season but its going to be hell of a battle.

A couple of friends of mine are going to watch Newport County away to Mansfield today, they are currently losing 2-0, very disappointing start to the season.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Not a good week from an APAT point of view. Looks like I am going to have to pull out of the trip to Vegas, I just can"t find a solution to the problem I had getting some of the time off work. I am also away in London on the week of the Luton event so I am not going to get to that one either. Looks like the next APAT event I am getting too is the Euro"s in Jan. I wasn"t going to go to that one but might have too now.

I have arranged another Team Viewer session tomorrow to work on my PLO cash game with a very good player from over on Blonde. I also had a small result in the mini Primo on Sky last week came 7/360 for about £100, which isn"t bad for a fivers entry. I think I am going to try to play a few more tournaments on there.

I also need to look at my approach to live poker. At the moment my live play is made up entirely of APAT events, which I no longer take seriously. When I go to them I am not even really thinking of them as a poker tournament but more as a mini holiday with some poker mixed in. Therefore I am going to start playing more local events which I reckon I might be able to take more seriously as I think I am hurting my game. I will obviously still play APAT just need to stop playing it exclusively.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
Bored with poker at the moment, played a little bit of PLO yesterday broke even but could not get my best game going, I"m sure it will come back though.

A couple of my mates went to Braintree to watch Newport county yesterday, long trek down the M4 and M25 that. The fact the team coach broke down is funny, but not as funny as the replacement coach they sent them also broke down. Newport lost 1-0 and things are not looking good in the Blue Square Prem. Will do well to get a mid-table finish at the moment.

I am also setting myself a little challenge. I have put £100 into my Betfair account and have to get to £200 on the exchange. I am a massive favourite to go broke but fancy giving it a go. I am going to go the following to begin with:-

Mark Webber to come top 3 in the F1 drivers Championship (2.0) £5
Michael Shumacher to finish above Nico Rosberg in the drivers championship (2.52) £3

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2011, 19:07:16 PM »
Been meaning to post an update here for ages but have been doing loads of stuff.

Away from poker, Newport County have sacked their manager? I don"t see what this achieves, sure the start to the season has not been great but performances have been much better than results. I would have liked to see him given more time but you do have to ensure you stay in the division and give the new man a chance to maybe even get a playoff spot. Although I don"t live in Newport any more for the first time for a few years I have made an effort to get to some of their games now they are in the conference again.

It"s strange how football grounds in the lower leagues are a bit like a time warp in a lot of ways. Newport Stadium is the same as the old ground (Somerton Park) used to be nearly 20 years ago, same kinds of people. The bar is a lot nicer though we go in there after the matches on a Saturday and watch whichever premiership game is on.

I have decided that over Christmas this year I am going to try and do something nice for people, something better than just giving some money to something. I don"t know what yet but will think of something.

I am also going down to London in a few weeks, mainly just to spend time in as many pubs as possible (seems sensible). I quite like London but have not been there for years.

Madras is my new favorite type of curry.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2011, 21:22:12 PM »
Find your way towards Tottenham Court Road mate, lots of nice pubs with cask ales, foreign beers etc and half the price of the majority in London. Nice eaterie"s in the area as well at good prices, though also been a few years since I was there.