Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257053 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2011, 23:12:59 PM »
Steve,

Fully appreciate your predicament, but APAT is about craic (for me anyway) the poker is secondary. Live life as it should be lived, make your choice as regards poker but don"t bin APAT tournaments. You are great company and treat the APAT as a chance to meet up with good people and if the poker clicks so be it.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2011, 23:17:41 PM »
Very sad that you"re feeling like this Steve. I"m sure you"ve made the correct decision for the right reasons and suspect you"ll be back playing (certainly APAT's) sometime in the near future. With 3 medals to your name and solid performances over the 2 seasons you"ve proven you"re playing very well and doing something right. You"ve also become a very well liked and respected APAT"er so we"ll all hope to see you again grace the tables. I"m sure you"ll continue to progress in the online game as well mate so stick at it.

All The Best
Grant
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2011, 00:25:28 AM »
You do realise you sound precisely like i did before we went to vegas dont you? :p

i would say keep plugging away mate, stopping going to APATs would be one of the biggest mistakes you ever make in my opinion

i agree with what Ger said to be honest.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2011, 08:49:01 AM »
Deffo give yourself the space you think you need, but don"t give up the APAT's altogether ffs!  You"ve friends here and we"d miss you.  Would be like cutting off yer nose to spite yer face if ya decided to go totally missing.  Plus I"d have to hunt ya down.  Just sayin"...

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
Hey, Rodders I for one will miss you. Still I respect your decision and wish you all the very best online.
Hope things go as you plan and maybe we"ll see you again playing live very soon.

P.S. Do not give up the blogging.

Cheers Paul MAc :)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2011, 13:04:45 PM »

APAT is about craic (for me anyway) the poker is secondary. Live life as it should be lived, make your choice as regards poker but don"t bin APAT tournaments. You are great company and treat the APAT as a chance to meet up with good people and if the poker clicks so be it.

This really  ::)

Take some time to chillout after the Vegas trip and reconsider in a few weeks. We"re all knackered and not thinking straight.

Will miss you though mate if you do stick to the decision. Hope its only temporary x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2011, 13:21:21 PM »
p.s. something to make you smile  ;D

http://minus5mc.zenfolio.com/p12141660/e3cbd8605
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Sunseekers

• Silver Member
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2011, 13:56:13 PM »
ditto to above comments.......

when texas foldem gets boring switch to PLO, PLO8 and stud, play the side events.

Anything to keep your juices flowin man.
2009 WCOAP PLO BRONZE
2010 WCOAP STUD BRONZE
2010 IRLAND BRONZE
2011 ooooops
2012 ECOAP STUD BRONZE

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2011, 15:26:11 PM »
I might change my mind when I see season 6 anyway, although what I said is currently true. As I said I have more than less had my life arranged around poker for the last two years and that has probably caused burnout. Last thing I want to do is end up hating the game. If it gets June time next year and I want to play again then I will.

I will certainly be going along to APAT Wales in season six, not intending to be playing but will come along just to see everybody. Also if there is another one within driving distance I would be likely to do the same. Love that side of APAT.

I might just make one exception anyway in the WCOAP.

Certainly will be keeping this thread going and will pick live poker back up at some point, even if it is not until this time next year, Vegas 2012 would be a good time.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Supernova

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #294 on: November 28, 2011, 15:44:06 PM »

APAT is about craic (for me anyway) the poker is secondary. Live life as it should be lived, make your choice as regards poker but don"t bin APAT tournaments. You are great company and treat the APAT as a chance to meet up with good people and if the poker clicks so be it.

This really  ::)

Take some time to chillout after the Vegas trip and reconsider in a few weeks. We"re all knackered and not thinking straight.

Will miss you though mate if you do stick to the decision. Hope its only temporary x

Ditto xxx
APAT UK Team Championships 2011 18th
APAT Welsh Championships 2012 13th
APAT European 2012 6max 3rd Bronze Medal
APAT Home Internationals 2012 Omaha S/E 3rd
APAT WCOAP 2013 Stud S/E 14th
APAT WCOAP 2013 H.O.R.S.E S/E 7th
APAT English Championship 2013 3rd Bronze Medal

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2011, 17:39:37 PM »

... As I said I have more than less had my life arranged around poker for the last two years and that has probably caused burnout....

A bit of balance would probably be the key, fitting poker into your life rather than fitting your life around poker would be a much better approach for the future.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2011, 18:50:31 PM »

ditto to above comments.......

when texas foldem gets boring switch to PLO, PLO8 and stud, play the side events.

Anything to keep your juices flowin man.

This ... and ditto to other comments

xx
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2011, 19:09:58 PM »
We all love you Steve, hurry back.

Dawn and I are likely to be largely absent too but for different reasons.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2011, 21:54:47 PM »
Right back to business then.

Played a small PLO session today, first proper online cash session for a couple of months but felt I played very well and also ran good. I won just under $100 in about 2 hours so that has to be good. My PLO game is different to my NLHE game and I play a lot looser and see a lot more flops. I think this has a lot to do with playing much deeper and therefore being able to play a flop much better and there is a lot of play on the later streets. A lot of PLO players also play their hands face up after the flop. If fact a lot of them also seem to assume everybody else does as well so very exploitable. It"s a very good game and I would recommend everybody try it, even though I am very much still learning it. Try and make notes on people who can"t get away from over-pairs after the flop as these are like ATM"s when playing very deep (not so much when only 100BB deep).

Hopefully this will be the start of a good run which will see me doing well in both cash games and tournaments for a while. I am off work on Friday this week so will be putting in some poker time then as well. I want to try and get in at least three sessions per week on December. Ideally one of Hold "em, one of Omaha and a tournament session. Maybe next year I will even try to learn that silly PLO8 game properly.

Stats for today were

VP$IP = 44%
PFR = 23%
3-Bet = 9%

The 3-bet is most likely too low but happy enough with that for now. It"s a tiny sample.

I ran well above EV. The session was +EV by just over $30. Biggest pot I won was a cooler for the other guy but god mode is fun:-

PokerStars Game #71287450827:  Omaha Pot Limit ($0.05/$0.10 USD) - 2011/11/28 20:01:33 WET [2011/11/28 15:01:33 ET]
Table "Stearns V" 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: AAroddersAA ($48.76 in chips)
Seat 2: maxim torque ($19.10 in chips)
Seat 3: CaptanPoker ($26.85 in chips)
Seat 5: ElDoctore ($27.07 in chips)
Seat 6: Yokker25 ($24.90 in chips)
Yokker25: posts small blind $0.05
AAroddersAA: posts big blind $0.10
K2AA72: sits out
AAroddersAA: posts the ante $0.02
maxim torque: posts the ante $0.02
CaptanPoker: posts the ante $0.02
ElDoctore: posts the ante $0.02
Yokker25: posts the ante $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to AAroddersAA [Ad Kd 5c Ac]
maxim torque: raises $0.20 to $0.30
CaptanPoker: calls $0.30
ElDoctore: calls $0.30
Yokker25: folds
AAroddersAA: raises $1.35 to $1.65
maxim torque: calls $1.35
CaptanPoker: calls $1.35
ElDoctore: calls $1.35
*** FLOP *** [Kc 5h 7c]
AAroddersAA: bets $5
maxim torque: folds
CaptanPoker: raises $16.42 to $21.42
ElDoctore: folds
AAroddersAA: raises $16.42 to $37.84
CaptanPoker: calls $3.76 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($12.66) returned to AAroddersAA
*** TURN *** [Kc 5h 7c] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [Kc 5h 7c 6c] [9d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
AAroddersAA: shows [Ad Kd 5c Ac] (a flush, Ace high)
CaptanPoker: shows [4s Th 7s 7h] (three of a kind, Sevens)
AAroddersAA collected $55.11 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $57.11 | Rake $2
Board [Kc 5h 7c 6c 9d]
Seat 1: AAroddersAA (big blind) showed [Ad Kd 5c Ac] and won ($55.11) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 2: maxim torque folded on the Flop
Seat 3: CaptanPoker showed [4s Th 7s 7h] and lost with three of a kind, Sevens
Seat 5: ElDoctore (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Yokker25 (small blind) folded before Flop

*NB - Pokerstars screen id changed in hand history (it is not AAroddersAA). I will change it to AAroddersAA on all hh in this thread and on the PHA on Blonde. I don"t want anybody to be able to identify me at the table.

I can"t find any mistakes worth posting so will just stick with the above hand for now. Obviously neither of us are folding on that flop.

Friday will probably be a NLHE day (or maybe tournaments if I feel like it).

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #299 on: December 02, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
OK, going to try unlimited Holdem today. Not been playing that game so well lately so going to improve on that today.

I need to try and get my Goldstar back this month as well. I used to get that every month, if I can get 665 VVP then I will also get $50 stellar reward and a $50 bonus so that is a pretty good rakeback along with the freerolls.

Pokerstars is still the best site to play on so it seems. I have tried a few alternatives this year but have kept coming back. Will edit the post later with results and somelinks to some hands on the PHA board.

Watched a good video about small stakes leaks recently and think I have some new improved stuff to use on the cash tables.

Will edit the post later with results, one question for other MSNL players how many tables do you find to be optimal? Will only be playing four today but Know I can go to quite a few more than that.

EDIT:

Ran horrible today, KK into AA twice and a straight into a rivered FH (might have made a bad play calling on the river as the flush hit as well). Don"t think there was much I can do about any of that. Lost about $100 in the process will call it a day for today early as probably would not play my best now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 14:52:27 PM by AAroddersAA »