Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257073 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2011, 21:37:34 PM »

We need a Llorett Return for APAT this season

Shhh....don"t mention APAT going abroad.  ;D

I mentioned it a little while ago, I think I got away with it but you can"t be too careful these days
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2011, 21:39:19 PM »
LLORETT AND VEGAS NEXT YEAR AGAIN PLEASE!!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #332 on: December 23, 2011, 18:33:34 PM »
Lloret this year - Vegas in 2013 please, all plan a massive trip and invade.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #333 on: December 23, 2011, 18:49:08 PM »
Pleasure to meet you too this year Rodders.

Avoid big puddles plz/ty

xx
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #334 on: December 23, 2011, 19:30:37 PM »

Avoid big puddles plz/ty

xx

Damn, you just reminded me I forgot somebody - will edit.

And you would not say that if you were there I"m sure, James, Jack, Des, Sian and Pitchie all confirm it was hilarious. Stupid place to put a puddle, right in the middle of that pavement. Not the funniest thing that happened that weekend of course

Tallinn
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #335 on: December 23, 2011, 19:37:22 PM »

Avoid big puddles plz/ty

xx

And you would not say that if you were there I"m sure, James, Jack, Des, Sian and Pitchie all confirm it was hilarious. Stupid place to put a puddle, right in the middle of that pavement. Not the funniest thing that happened that weekend of course

I WAS there ... just not right there .... and stop trying to deflect your puddle stories with "not the funniest thing that happened" teasers  :P
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Supernova

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #336 on: December 23, 2011, 22:50:26 PM »

Off Topic post

OK so it appears to be Christmas again here in Swansea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj3m1hkWCIY (mods delete that if its not allowed, APAT's kinda a respectable forum) **DO NOT CLICK ON THIS IF THERE ARE CHILDREN PRESENT - SERIOUSLY **

So it"s time for peace and goodwill to all men etc etc. Nah run out of goodwill this year, I will get a new lot come new years day and be back to normal. Will lose the negative slant and everything :-)

The Rodders player and community person of the year award goes to.....

Richard "Curlarge" Baker........ for being super duper consistent during APAT this year with more day twos and deep runs than John Murray has cashes at APAT events (well not quite but he was good). He also got some really good results elsewhere. He was also responsible for sorting out the deal we got for the hotel in Vegas and helped sort a venue for the event. As well as playing every event in season five. He doesn"t get a prize or anything but at least I mentioned him in the thread so he kinda like famous now.

The other good thing about Christmas is we can all set poker goals. Like most new year resolution they will be forgotten by about 15th January but we get to set them. I of course will rise above most and keep to mine. I will post them before the end of the year.

Next year I am going to keep this as up to date as I can, it fell apart last year as at the start of the year I had ideas way above my station in the poker world, the game spent a whole year reminding me that I"m still a fish *lol*.

So what would people like to see in the blog next year. I will try and keep monthly profit and loss records for online cash and online tournaments. I will post "interesting" hands from cash sessions from both PLO games and NLHE and lins to hands I think I could have played differently on the PHA board. Anything else people would be interested to see?

*********************************************************************************************

OK I will make one part of a post slightly positive.

The good thing about APAT is you meet lot"s of cool and interesting people, below is a list of people I have met this year. In some cases I kind of knew them before but they were just there and I never really took any notice of them, I am pleased to say I got to meet them properly this past year.

Stuart Ward, Dan Owston, Grant Speirs, JP Round, Steve Bayliff, Max the barman, Craig & Beth MacInnes, James Barber, Mark Gregory (sort of), George Bedi, Michelle Gascoine, Nellie Gascoine, Sharon Roberts, Matt McKinlay, Paul Pitchford, Warren Jones, Will Young, Steve Harrison, Dylan Herbert, Rudders, Mary Martin, Glen Lammings, Don Roberts, Don Logan, Brian Harland.

I reckon about four of that lot are likely to actually read this *lol*

:o nah more I think x
APAT UK Team Championships 2011 18th
APAT Welsh Championships 2012 13th
APAT European 2012 6max 3rd Bronze Medal
APAT Home Internationals 2012 Omaha S/E 3rd
APAT WCOAP 2013 Stud S/E 14th
APAT WCOAP 2013 H.O.R.S.E S/E 7th
APAT English Championship 2013 3rd Bronze Medal

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #337 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:45 AM »

Avoid big puddles plz/ty

xx

Tallinn

FYP - just one of the funny incidents that happened that notorious weekend that I don"t remember.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #338 on: December 24, 2011, 20:10:40 PM »

OK I will make one part of a post slightly positive.

The good thing about APAT is you meet lot"s of cool and interesting people, below is a list of people I have met this year. In some cases I kind of knew them before but they were just there and I never really took any notice of them, I am pleased to say I got to meet them properly this past year.

Stuart Ward, Dan Owston, Grant Speirs, JP Round, Steve Bayliff, Max the barman, Craig & Beth MacInnes, James Barber, Mark Gregory (sort of), George Bedi, Michelle Gascoine, Nellie Gascoine, Sharon Roberts, Matt McKinlay, Paul Pitchford, Warren Jones, Will Young, Steve Harrison, Dylan Herbert, Rudders, Mary Martin, Glen Lammings, Don Roberts, Don Logan, Brian Harland.

I reckon about four of that lot are likely to actually read this *lol*

:o nah more I think x

I certainly did read it and listened to that song as well, hopefully continue to have more discussions with you in 2012 Steve. Until then I hope you and the family have a superb Christmas and New Year mate. See you in Brighton  :)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #339 on: December 26, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »
Stone cold. Quick question if you dont  mind.

Started playing (mainly) 18man sngs on stard last night, gonna give them a good grind, or so was my intention.

Had success so far, but when you play, do you not find the seemingly very very very small winnings you can have at micro stakes life tilting?

hope you had a good christmas :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »

Stone cold. Quick question if you dont  mind.

Started playing (mainly) 18man sngs on stard last night, gonna give them a good grind, or so was my intention.

Had success so far, but when you play, do you not find the seemingly very very very small winnings you can have at micro stakes life tilting?

hope you had a good christmas :)

Did have a good Christmas thanks, working all this week :-(
But off all of next to make up for it :-) So after the New Year festivities are over and done with I will be starting the 2012 grind and am looking forward to smashing it next year.

The seemingly very very small winnings are indeed a massive issue. Yes, I agree, it can be really tilting. It"s also easy to start letting your expectations get out of control. As I have mentioned previously I did that at the start of this year based mainly on running like god for the second half of 2010.

In my case this has lead to me playing for too long and playing at times where I am just not in the right frame of mind or when I am not feeling 100% (for example a little bit tried after a long day in work). This makes a losing session more likely and this has happened to me time and time again, you then think you will just play a little longer to try and get it back to even, which is the worst thing you can do. As I have said before I have lost more money this way than any other this year.

What I think the best thing to do is plan out what you want to achieve each month and check it is realistic. In my case I know that playing $25nl cash games I tend to run at about 4BB/100 hands when playing well. So if I play say 10K hands per month (which is very doable) . Therefore my expectation per 100 hands is $2. So my expectation for the month is $200. But I don"t always play well so I may actually only run at 3BB/100 so realistically I can only expect $150. Which is less than £100. You need to decide if this makes it worth your while.

Another problem is that you can swing more than the monthly expectation is a day relatively easily, I have had 3 days this month where I have won or lost more than 4 buyin"s). When you win you have to keep expectation in check and when you lose you have to not get to tilted by it. I think (hope) I have learned a bit about that this year and expect to be much better at this in 2012. I am going to post goals before the end of this week.

In your 18 man sit n go"s I am told that an ROI of 20% is really excellent (can a sit n go player correct me on this if I am wrong my knowledge on this is not great). So you can expect to win $1 per sit n go. If you multi table them using tools like Table Ninja and of course Poker Tracker/Hold'em Manager then your ROI will go down but you play more so your actual monthly profit goes up as you play more. If I was to play 18 manner"s I would set a target of an ROI of 10% for the first month and see if that can be achieved. If you play 200 of them your expected profit is $100.

So I guess what I am saying is the best thing you can do is set your goal at the start of the month and keep it in mind throughout. It"s not easy to do and far to easy to get carried away with short term good results and tilted over short term bad result"s. Try to limit a session to x number of sit n go"s and stick to that (if you lose accept it as you will get more good sessions than bad one"s and this will wipe out the bad sessions but they WILL happen). Don"t get too down on yourself over mistakes everybody makes them.

So with micro stakes it is a question of if you can be bothered to grind out the small wins and hot your monthly target. I would say though this is the best way of making a consistent profit at online poker. 

I went on for much longer than I meant too there but I am fairly confident that it is accurate. Hope you do decide to make a go of the $5/$10 sit n go"s. Would be very interesting to follow your progress.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #341 on: December 26, 2011, 23:12:23 PM »
That Ace of Spaces that comes up every time you try to use the word as at the start of a sentence is infinitely more tilting though. Not bother with capital letters from now on :-)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2011, 23:26:38 PM »

That Ace of Spaces that comes up every time you try to use the word as at the start of a sentence is infinitely more tilting though. Not bother with capital letters from now on :-)

It"s a grammar filter...perhaps. ;D

One should not start a sentence with a preposition.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #343 on: December 28, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »
Goals and Ambitions for Poker in 2012

I have given these a fair bit of thought. I want to make them achievable for myself without having to spend every spare second I have playing online poker (which was my initial mistake this year). I am therefore spliting it into monthly goals depending on how I am doing at the beginning of each month.

I will also have an overall set of goals for the year to work towards. The goals are definately going to be online based as I am still unsure how much live poker I am actually going to play, it"s not likely to be much at all, probably just main events at a few APAT's, so best leave it out of any goals.

Firstly a volume goal. Goldstar is too hard to achieve every month at the levels I play. Therefore I just need to do enough to get Silverstar so I will say the below:-

On Pokerstars

120K hands at $25nl Hold "em.
12K hands at $25 (250bb deep) deep stacked PLO
300 180 man sit n go"s at $4.50
25 Big $11 Tournaments

A mistake I have made this year is trying to play too much online poker, just to get even for the day, or because I am bored. This leads to playing when I am not in the right frame of mind. This is -EV and I need to stop it now. This is probably the mistake that costs me the most money. It is very important to remember when playing $25 nlhe the long term expectation for 100 hands is about $1 max when multuitabling. So the goal here is to maintain discipline as often as possible. Each month I may do an upper limit on cash hands played.

Play some online APAT's if they continue to run and win an online APAT medal. I have 3 National Championship medals and I have won one team medal from the Home Nations. They are all live medals. I have always considered online poker to be of a better standard than live poker and even though in this case it is very much the same player pool. I consider myself an online player so would like an online medal. If it was gold, well all the better.

Keep an accurate record of profit and losses for the whole year and keep it updated in this thread. Profit and loss for Cash Game"s / sitngo and MTT

Make 50 strategy posts in the APAT Acdemey section with the goal of contributing to the community

Finish 2012 in profit.

I will post my goals for Jan some time this week but believe these are good objectives for the whole of 2012 imo.

An Overview then - over the course of 2012

1 )  120K nlhe cash hands
2 )  12K PLO cash hands
3 )  300 180 man sit n go"s
4 )  25 bigger $11 tournaments
5 )  Stick to allocated volume each month don"t play too much or when not in right frame of mind
6 )  Keep an accurate record of all wins and losses online each month
7 )  50 Strategy post in the Acdemey
8 )  Win an online APAT medal
9 )  Finish 2012 in profit

Smart Objectives FTW
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:45:27 AM by AAroddersAA »

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2011, 15:59:43 PM »
120K hands at 25nl is decent volume and worth about 1k a year rakeback on a euro site offering a decent rakeback deal. Some 50% deals still available (I can point you to a decent affiliate). Playing this volume on Stars is -EV.  
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."