Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257070 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2012, 20:00:58 PM »
I can"t believe it"s a week since I last played. Had a really good week away from poker though so that is good. I have been offered that job that I mentioned somebody was coming to speak to me about, it"s not a great deal different to what I do now but does extend my area of responsibility a bit further so means life would be more interesting and busier. Going to be having a closer look at what the job involves before saying yes or no. .

Anyway back to a weekend of hard work on the old poker game. I might need a day off to watch the football tomorrow but hey ho. Going to have a little game now going to try and make some interesting hands which involve plays properly trying to exploit certain players. I don"t feel I did it very well last weekend but that could be a bit results orientated .

Will post here so Noble/Brendan/anybody else who wants to can make their ever welcome comments.

Inb other news APAT is hosting the final event of season five in Brighton this weekend. Good luck to everybody playing in it.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2012, 22:31:27 PM »
Short session played tonight with another poor result. I really do feel like I am running really bad but don"t know if it is really down to that or down to playing badly. Lost $33.78 tonight. $10 of it I can put down to bad play. This hand was the first hit I took.

Opponent is playting 41/15 and I have seen him slow play a FH when he hit it on the turn. He seems to call too much.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/3996490

Preflop is pretty standard and the flop is a good one for me. He unexpectedly leads into me. I could flat call here but I likely have the best hand and have seen him calling down light so opt for the raise which I think is best. I am not that surprised when he calls and still believe I have the best hand. The turn card is pretty much a blank (unlikely str8 draw got there) I then bet the turn and he min raises. As I know he has slow played in the past this feels really strong. The only hand I have seen him raise post flop is the full house. The pot odds are really good but mu hand can"t improve and there are loads of bad rivers which put me in a tough spot. It seems very likely he will shove the river so I fold.

Not long after this hand happens

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/3996493

Preflop is again standard and given the stack sizes I don"t see a way of getting away from it on the flop. Can I just call the raise and see what happens on the turn if a safe card comes down?

At times I can see what some people in the thread have said about flop texture and the way certain opponents play but it is very hard at the moment and I seem to make a lot of mistakes. I am finding it very annoying as I consistently seem to get decisions wrong when trying to base them on what a player should do. Most of the time it turns out bthey were just playing their cards and nothing more. I suppose I need to improve on identifying different types of player though.

Hands Played = 248
VP$IP = 17%
PFR = 15.25%
3-Bet = 3.23%
Total Loss = $33.78

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2012, 00:14:25 AM »
First hand i probably play the same way, is definately a fold for me to the min raise.

Second hand is tricky, cause that flop smacks his BB hand right in the kisser, but then you cant give up on a 9 high bored with AA there really.

I have always found that min raises at this level are just Uber strong, they have it 1000000% of the time and i have done so much money in these spots!!

Like you have said, players generally play their cards at this level, so thinking about how they "should" play is very very dangerous IMO. There actually could be such a thing as being too good for them!!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2012, 15:23:42 PM »
Skipped playing poker yesterday in the end, went to the football instead. It was PROPER Saturday afternoon football, watching a Blue Square Premiership game (with the associated standard of reffing) in the freezing cold then all gathering in the bar after to warm up and dissect the game. Obviously we have smart phones these day which contributed to me and my mate doing £50 gambling on random games at half time and after the game. Some of the guy"s over there are pretty much summed up by this song (unsure if I have posted it before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPWwuRFdjw

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2012, 21:34:59 PM »
Mini session tonight, not worth writing about as nothing happened, I won nearly two buyin"s by getting AA when my opponents had KK. Easy Game

Hands: 142
VP$IP: 7.9%
PFR: 5.2%
Profit: $42.21

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #395 on: January 24, 2012, 20:08:59 PM »
*LOL*

I am so bad at this game sometimes. Played PLO and manged to do $80 in about 25 minutes, for some reason thought it was a good idea to get it allin with KKxx preflop TWICE. Like I said I am a fish sometimes.

Might try Brendans suggestion of trying ipoker again. I have spent great amounts of time trying to write up notes on players etc but the Pokerstars player base is so damn big they are useful so rarely. Will leave it until next month though, at least I was still up overall of January if only a very small amount (was down in cash but tournaments saved me). I will post the full result at months end.

I have a small bet on Palace tonight to win their game at Legoland as well. They are 1-0 down after 5 minutes.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2012, 21:47:51 PM »
Due to really REALLY struggling for motivation recently I have decided an extended break from poker is needed. Not sure what the problem is but right now I can"t be bothered to actually make an effort and play properly whenever I play. Last night played and lost two buyin"s by basically just playing silly and making calls for large amounts when I knew I was beat for the sake of it (not even thinking there was any chance of being good but - well I have no idea why). This was about 15 minutes after sitting down and there had not even been any poorly played hands or anything to annoy me just basically started playing and that"s how I was playing. At the moment I quite simply no longer enjoy playing poker.

To be honest I have known for quite a while that something was not right and it was more than just being off form or needing to bring it up to date. I have just finishing cashing out of the sites I had money on, removing every bit of poker software from my main computer and my laptop. Poker Tracker, Poker Stove and all the poker clients, all gone.

I will certainly be back but could do with a few months without playing. I also have a new role in work that is going to keep me very busy for a while so now is a good time to do it. The motivation will probably come back soon enough but I am not going to come back to playing until I actually want too as I have been forcing myself to play a bit. All of the software can be downloaded again when that happens.

Good luck to you all and I hope season six of the live tour is a great success and I will be watching with interest and hoping that the usual suspects do really well this year :-)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2012, 22:57:32 PM »
If i might say so, and please dont take this the wrong way mate, i think you have kind of brought this on yourself.

In vegas doing stupidly long cash grinds, when you admitted yourself you werent enjoying it....

Playing ALOT online...

It seems like you managed to suck the enjoyment out of it all for yourself to me. I think you are doing the right thing in taking a long break from it, hopefully when you come back you will decide to play some APAT live events, and try and get back to playing the game and having FUN while you do it, hopefully making a bit of cash on the way :)

Good luck with the work thing dude, am ssure you will crush it :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2012, 23:32:54 PM »
You need a break..

So... Pick a weekend, stay with me, go to the aquarium, get hammered and get the love back....

If not just relax enjoy your break and come back stronger.....

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2012, 00:55:25 AM »
Glad you are taking a break steve. Grinding low stakes cash can be soul destroying and your soul seems a bit destroyed.

come back when you feel it isn"t a chore

And take ger up on his offer. I might even tag along if stu comes down the same night as well
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2012, 04:02:16 AM »

And take ger up on his offer. I might even tag along if stu comes down the same night as well

Ger and the aquarium is going to be over run soon ... I got an invite tonight as well ?
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
I as getting to that stage recently (not cash) and was also going to have a break but 1 good night and things change.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #402 on: February 10, 2012, 17:44:45 PM »

If i might say so, and please dont take this the wrong way mate, i think you have kind of brought this on yourself.

In vegas doing stupidly long cash grinds, when you admitted yourself you werent enjoying it....

Playing ALOT online...

It seems like you managed to suck the enjoyment out of it all for yourself to me. I think you are doing the right thing in taking a long break from it, hopefully when you come back you will decide to play some APAT live events, and try and get back to playing the game and having FUN while you do it, hopefully making a bit of cash on the way :)

Good luck with the work thing dude, am ssure you will crush it :)

See Stu can talk loads of sense when he wants too. You are 100% right mate, obviously I will be back but planning on talking a decent break from it first.

You need a break..

So... Pick a weekend, stay with me, go to the aquarium, get hammered and get the love back....

If not just relax enjoy your break and come back stronger.....

Ger, you are a top man. I may well accept this very kind offer would certainly make playing poker interesting again.

Ger and the aquarium is going to be over run soon ... I got an invite tonight as well ?

For when? If everybody else is going I definitively wanna come.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2012, 17:57:23 PM »
Date"s not set yet...probably towards the end of July.

Get yourself over to the Chezger forum and get your name down.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #404 on: March 11, 2012, 15:21:36 PM »
Anyway last weekend I was in Newport, and Friday afternoon I was at a loose end so thought I would try playing a little bit. I wanted to focus on playing against opponents so I tried playing a bit of heads up PLO. This worked quite well and I ended up winning 8 buyins ($200). Here are some of the pots that I played

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137648
http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137650
http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137651

Nothing really interesting to be honest, the first two are standard the last one is a move that goes wrong. Overall I was very happy with how I played and think I played the players pretty well.

I then decided I should play a little bit of 6-max. The deep stacked 6-max plo games are currently my favourite form of poker. There is a lot of play involved and you have to play well on all of the streets. People who can read the texture of the board well and understand how other players think can find plenty of oppotunities for Value bets and bluffs. I have recently been talking to a very good PLO player about the game and some of the considerations you should make during one of these hands are mind blowing. I am certainly a long way from having a full understanding of this game and the way the equity works. Position is also very important.

Here is a naughty little hand that I am not sure I can do much about

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137659

Can I get away from top set here? I don"t think I can although a set is very unlikely for him and there is not a lot else he can go mental with here. It would be a really tough fold though.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137663

I quite like how I play this hand against an aggressive player who does not give up on his draws easily. I actually did not think he had a draw at the time as I would honestly expect him to raise and I had blockers to the flush draw. Quite an easy hand to play but getting this stuff right is the "bread and butter so to speak.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4137667

This is another cool hand, me and my opponent in the hand had been 3-betting each other very wide and I felt I was getting the best of it and had taken him off a few pots by barrelling. I suspect he had done the same to me. He certainly was not afraid to put a bet in. I had seen him make the nuts twice earlier in the game and he had fired the full pot both times.

Preflop I raise from the button and am not at all surprised when he three bets me. I put in the four bet, the great thing about this game is even to a four bet all of the streets are going to have play on them. Hecalls my four bet and we see a flop.

It"s not the best flop for an overpair but I am likely to be ahead at this point although my equity in the hand is uncertain. I bet out and he calls, the turn card is bad for me as he could easily have two pair now or some kind of weird straight. He can also have a flush draw still. It goes check/check which I think is fine. He then bets out 3/4 of the pot on the river. This makes KQ seem unlikely as I know how he bets the nuts. He could still have two pair looking for value against AA but two pair is marginal in this spot, a check call is the play I would expect him to make as he knows I can have nothing here and may well bet the river if I do, and a set should have raised me on that flop. I make what I think is an excellent call on the river.

The vital Stats for last weekend were as follows:-

I did not use Poker Tracker for the Heads up games as it can sometimes be misleading but made $197 at that

PLO 6 Max

Hands = 472
VP$IP = 53.35% (this is too loose so I need to tighten the ranges up a bit which I am looking at
PFR = 36.86%
3-Bet = 11.79%
BB/100 = 11.61
Total Profit = $54.80

Tournaments (180 man sit n go"s)

Total Played = 3
Cashes = 0
Total Buyin = $13.50
Total loss = $13.50

More to follow.