Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257102 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #420 on: April 19, 2012, 07:34:17 AM »
Good post as usual Paulie :-)

Flat calling with this hand on the button is perfectly OK but a 3-bet is better in my opinion. We can take the initiative in the pot and when he four bets we can near 100% define his hand and we can indeed be very sure he has aces. 4-bets are almost always AAxx especially when they are pot sized. We are still going to flop enough equity often enough to call. Having the betting lead and position in PLO is massive, much much more important than in unlimited holdem. So I can flop good and my hand is pretty disguised, again something that is much more common in this game. Also because I have position I can often represent something and take down a bigger pot than I would have if I had flat called. I actually think that preflop is fine. However I maybe should fold on the flop? But the pot odds are good, meh I got lucky. The flop is probably a fold but I was just thinking I have 13 outs which is incorrect. What do you think? Make sense? Load of nonsense :-)

I managed to lose $90 playing HU last night anyway, I was getting it in good but losing. Thats PLO for you though and I have run good recently so can"t complain. I am going to make a few posts in the Strategy section today. I keep saying I should contribute to that section but I never do. It"s a very under used part of the board imo. I am busy for the next two days so probably won"t play much poker. Will try and fit in a couple of the little 180 manners I like.

I have a few hands I do want to post but will stick them on the Strategy board to see how they go down over there.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #421 on: April 19, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

However I maybe should fold on the flop? But the pot odds are good, meh I got lucky. The flop is probably a fold but I was just thinking I have 13 outs which is incorrect. What do you think? Make sense? Load of nonsense :-)

Even though you"re probably not favourite on the flop, I"d still play it much like you did.

The $5 lead into a $20 pot screams (to me) some weakness. Even though the non-AA player he had decent overs he clearly didn"t like the flop THAT much. Playing it cool with those odds and just flatting the flop bet is fine.

After that it plays itself and, as it happens, it worked out for you.

My "issue", if you will, was with the description of your hand as "super strong" or similar. It"s pretty but very vulnerable and incredibly flop dependent. Not that I wouldn"t play it (I"m looser than a whore"s drawers at PLO) but absent flopping the stone cold nuts, I play it somewhat slower than you did.

Different styles obviously.

I"m keen to see more of your posts in the Strategy section...it"s been lacking a bit recently.

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #422 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »
I just had the worst 24 hours of poker I think I have ever had. At the beginning of yesterday I had $600~ sat in my Pokerstar"s account.  That is not down to $0 *lol*. I normally don"t even leave that much money on there and cash it into my poker account. That will be this month well and truly in negative figures then.

The thing is I am looking through the hands and I just can"t see I did much wrong. I was playing PLO HU which can be swingy at the best of times but 80% of the hands where I get the money in I am ahead, I just lose almost all of them. It started last night when I was playing a HU games again in which I dropped about $250. Two of those buyins were my fault but I am pretty confident I was not -EV in the game. After that I jumped into another game where I lost another $75. One of those was my own fault. So I was down $325 and probably should have called it a night but went on and played some more (I honestly thought I was playing pretty well). Then then managed to lose another $100 again mainly down to spots I could do nothing about I don"t think.

Decided to come back to it this morning and played a game against a player I know I have an edge on but every time I got it in with the best of it I was losing again. Strange game but never mind :-)

The thing I am slightly unhappy with is that normally I would have cashed the account down to $300 that way if anything happens to the account or I have a really bad day my liability is limited but I did not bother thinking I would do it at the end of the week.

I reloaded the account but probably best to give it a rest for today as I will end up tilted (although I don"t think that"s why I did badly). Just Skyped somebody about it and have been told it is fairly standard in those games and huge swings happen all the time anyway. A 24 Buy-in downswing is not fun though.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #423 on: May 01, 2012, 21:43:13 PM »
Was bored last week and noticed that the SPT was coming to Cardiff. I tossed around the idea of playing it but just did not like the structure. If I am playing a £110 tournament I at least want to be able to have some room to play, that tournament does not give it to you.

After work on Friday I popped off to Les Croupiers anyway to see how the cash tables were playing. I thought that with the SPT there would be Sky Poker players and that should be +EV. I didn"t play that well, my seat was awful, and I should have got up a lot sooner than I did, I had a good local LAG to my Left and Darren Shallis to his left this is not a good spot and I was down to them both and probably should have been more so. The table was not as soft as I expected but still worth playing overall and I won £50, if I had been playing well it would have been more like £200 but I kept trying to invent spots that were not there. Live poker is simple, find a good hand and then keep betting until somebody raises. I was trying to make it as complex as possible when it is very easy.

Anyway after playing live for the first time since returning from Las Vegas last November and not being bored to death I am now probably ready to play a live tournament again, that SPT was such a poor structure though. I want to play a good structure, maybe I will find one in Swansea or Cardiff soon they don"t seem that common. Any suggestions?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2012, 23:16:14 PM »

I want to play a good structure, maybe I will find one in Swansea or Cardiff soon they don"t seem that common. Any suggestions?

Here"s one I came across that you could try:     http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=11025.0
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Newportlad

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2012, 21:38:11 PM »
Saturday night tourney at Les Croups.  £35+£5 for 10K starting stack and 25 min clock. All the levels as well.

Really good cheap tourney.

APAT Ireland 2008 Champion
APAT European 2010 Runner-Up
6 Final Tables
Captain of Team Cardiff. Online Southern Division Winners 2009
Team Cymru 2008
Team Cymru 2009
Team Cymru 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2012, 23:01:41 PM »
Just reading through my previous posts on this forum as a result of a conversation with some non poker playing friends who were reading this thread. I first posted on the forum in 2007 but only made 8 posts before 2010 and did not make a single post in 2008.

The tone of them is very different to how I would expect a post on a poker forum from me to sound and I guess it shows how my feeling towards poker have changed over the last few years, even though in APAT events I have run ridiculously good, I sound far to happy and cheerful most of the time, pretty sure I am not really like that *lol*

I tried to buyin to the Welsh Event this week but some silly problem with my account on William Hill which was registered via some mentoring site years ago I cannot buy into tournaments with more than 1% of the money I have on the site. So to buy into an APAT require me to deposit about £8.2K  just to buy into one tournament then withdraw. Needless to say I won"t be doing that. I expect a seat will pop up on the seat exchange at some time they usually do.

I can"t win at poker at the moment, seem to have been doom switched by "Stars and cannot get a hand to hold up. Played for a couple of hours tonight twice got all-in preflop with AA (Hold'em) for 100+BB and lot both, ended up $60 down. Got all in with the nuts on the flop in PLO (hand straight and flush draw) and lost 250BB there, he had the nuts as well and hit back door flush draw, so lost $35 there. Ended session down $90.

Will put 50p in the tin later :-)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #427 on: May 05, 2012, 14:53:40 PM »
Bored with playing cash again at the moment, not playing too bad but I am not feeling so confident at present. That"s fine as my tournament game is much better at the moment. I am therefore going to play a run for 100 $4.50"s on Pokerstar"s got the first batch of 3 running now.

Maybe it is time to mix a bit of online poker back in as well, going to play the APAT at Les Croupiers assuming I do get a seat. Maybe I will finally take Darren"s advice and play the Saturday night tournament at Les Croups as well.

I am off to Wembley next weekend to watch Newport County Vs York in the final of the FA Trophy. Using it as an excuse for a long weekend at the West End of London so will be going down on Friday and spending the night in London. I honestly think County are a good bet to beat York as they are the outsiders but in the last couple of months beat York at home and were unlucky to only get a draw away from home. York also have to worry about the playoffs whilst County have been able to prepare for the final since the end of the league fixtures. County will be outsiders but are at full strength and have been strong in the form league in the second half of the season.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
RIGHT. I am officially excited now. I have booked a long weekend off work and tomorrow I am heading up to London for a weekend there which will include a trip to Wembley to see Newport County try and win the FA Trophy against York. I really like the County"s chances, especially with York distracted by the playoff final Vs Luton. I will be placing a bet of £50 on them just to make it even more exciting. 12/5 Looks too good to me I can"t believe County don"t win this game one time in three.

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/924/English-FA-Trophy.html

Also spending the afternoon/evening in various West End establishments will be great. I love visiting London. Game of poker arranged on the train also.

In poker I have played some of the 100 180 manners I was planning on playing the results are not inspiring:-

Total game = 7
Total buyins = $31.50
Total cashes = $8.85

Going to play another 4 today before getting ready for tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfgGhSWb06o

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2012, 13:05:31 PM »
Glad you got a seat reserved for Cardiff mate, would"ve been very strange without you
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #430 on: May 17, 2012, 14:42:49 PM »

Glad you got a seat reserved for Cardiff mate, would"ve been very strange without you

This...

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #431 on: May 17, 2012, 20:02:59 PM »
Cheers Grant and Paulie

I was pretty much coming anyway if I had a seat or not but if I am going to be there might as well play I guess. See if I can last longer than the 20 minutes I managed in the event last year :-)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2012, 17:01:44 PM »
Why does the forum think I posted the last post on here last night, sure it was earlier today ???

Anyway I am now looking forward to playing the APAT again. Hopefully it will be well attended I am very out of touch with what is going on as I have stepped back from live poker for quite a while and not been playing much online either. For a while I felt I would prefer to stick pins in myself than play live poker but that has passed for now.

I finally managed to show a profit in the $4.50"s I am playing on "Stars current state of play is

Played: 12 (volume has been really poor)
Cashed in: 2
Total Buyin Spent: $54
Total prizes: $107
Total profit: $53

My sharkscope (33teetwo33) shows I have an ROI on those things of about 20% - is that good for those games does anybody know? I kind of assume it"s pretty good but am not too sure as the fields are not really very tough.

Poker this year and towards the end of last has been really strange. I am doing well in MTT"s and not too bad in Heads Up cash but 6-max cash which was always what I was really good at I seem to have slipped at a bit. I have started playing PLO a lot more than hold"em as it is a better game, especially for cash. I am still a few hundred up for the year overall so not moaning but not sure why the format I would expect to do best in is suddenly the one I am struggling with.

I did make 4 buyin"s at zoom earlier today so that helps as well but still about 8 buyins (just over) down on the year which is annoying me as online cash is the only format I really care too much about and is the only format I am down at. I am up at live cash (1 session) and online MTT"s, have not played any live MTT"s as yet.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2012, 17:32:29 PM »
Good to see you getting back into APAT's Steve fella. Hope that this means you are going to make a showing in Nottingham in August please thankyou!!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2012, 18:11:09 PM »

Good to see you getting back into APAT's Steve fella. Hope that this means you are going to make a showing in Nottingham in August please thankyou!!!!

Yeah, DTD is pretty much nailed on. Not sure what I will play but will be there, time off work is confirmed and everything.

I am thinking about Cork as well, depends on work though to a certain extent, hopefully not too busy in July so may well be OK. You in Wales next weekend mate?