Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257074 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2012, 18:23:14 PM »
Well I didn"t win the Silverstar freeroll but I did cash. I bubbled another 180 manner, then I cash in two tournaments on Sunday night, the $3.30 at 19:00 and the APAT league event. In a massive turn up it seems there is a downside to being Welsh. I scored 39 points in the league which would be enough to get top 3 in any other team. Where did I finish in the Welsh team? 7th :-)

I also won $40 at Zoom and £100 on Skypoker cash tables over the weekend, so this is all good. I have some good notes and stats on the Zoom regs now and seem to have a good read on the tables. That puts me back in profit for the year on online cash games at least (I am $0.57 up *lol* and £100 up). However in online tournaments I am now $634.23 up so happy enough with that. Live I am £60 up in cash (1 session) and £122.50 down at live tournaments (2 tournaments). Will post some hands in the Strategy section at some time this week.

I also want to try my hand at some sports betting, I have seen some writing from some people who have done quite well at it but I have never really been very good at it. If I start with 500 points I wonder what I can get to by the end of the year (smart money is on 0).

Today I like 5 points on England to beat Ukraine @ 2.06 (Betfair) so that is going to be my first bet on this

I even started a thread on this http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=11395.0 would be good as the Sports section does not get a lot of traffic these days.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2012, 17:55:32 PM »
I won said bet unfortunately, stupid England ball was clearly over the line and who cares about offside :-).

New Balance is 505 points.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #452 on: June 21, 2012, 17:54:37 PM »
5 points on Portugal @ 1.72 (Betfair) might look short but I just can"t see Portugal not winning tonight

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2012, 20:46:28 PM »
Rodders my old bean, how the devil are ya?

Decided to play some 180 man $2.50"s on stars tonight (played 2, one 4th place for $32 so far, 24th in the other one)

Any advice? What is expected cashing rates n ROI n stuff?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2012, 22:26:30 PM »

Rodders my old bean, how the devil are ya?

Decided to play some 180 man $2.50"s on stars tonight (played 2, one 4th place for $32 so far, 24th in the other one)

Any advice? What is expected cashing rates n ROI n stuff?

Well they are a long term proposition but you should be able to crush these. Sharkscope says me ROI is 19% (Pokerstars name is 33teetwo33). I have tracked these from the start of the year and Poker Tracker tells me I am only 5% ROI on $4.50 180 manners this year but I have run/played badly in them lately.

Games: 73
ITM: 5
ROI: 5%
Total Buyin: $328.50
Total winnings: $346.17

I normally play the non turbos. The traffic is not as good but I only play about 4 tables of them so it is not too much of an issue. If you have a good post flop game (which I would say you do) then it is worth seeing a few more flops and playing a bit more aggressive as you will easily see the spots where you can pick up the pots and gain some chips early on most of the time. Don"t try anything to elaborate though most people play their hands face up. I would not usually bluff too much but (for example) if somebody checks to you three times then you can bet the river and be confident of picking up the pot. This is just an example of where you can pick up a pot I know I don"t need to teach you to suck eggs and you already know how to spot this kind of thing. If you prefer you can just play very tight early on, this strategy works as well but I would favour the other way which I reckon would be more your style anyway.

You can do this and be pretty successful until the antes come in. Then you have to be nicking pots. Most people fold quite easily and you can make little raises and pick up pots really cheaply often showing a profit by picking up only half the pots you try too, realistically you should do a lot better than that as people generally play too tight at this stage (ie they have the classic back to front strategy). Min raises will often be enough, so you are basically risking 500 chips (at 125/250) to win more than 500 chips (625 at a full table with the antes and blinds) in a situation where the bet works more than half the time so it is really +cEV. You can have a loose range in LP as you will win the pot uncontested so often.

As times goes on and stacks get shallower look for people who are doing the same as you (my HUD does this for me) and you can exploit the fact they are trying to pick up pots by 3-bet shoving light and find really profitable spots. Obviously it is best to do this from the blinds and if you have a chance to increase your stack by about 20% then it"s worth having a look to see if it is profitable to 3-bet shove by checking your opponents PFR percentage, ideally in line with recent levels of play as often players are raising more pots late on than early (as you should be).

As you get to the money and the final table you start to get deeper stacked again sometimes and this means you can often find really good spots to 3-bet light and pick up more chips. People fold to 3-bets too easily and you don"t even have to 3-bet that big. Even if you get called a c-bet will often win the pot and you can really chip up this way.

You are still always going to need to win a couple of big flips to win one of them but this is a basic outline of the best way to play them in my mind. Make sure you are happy with shoving and calling ranges in the various spots you will get and you can expect to do very well.

If you want to make some notes look for the normal stuff, bet sizing tells and how players react to certain boards, how they play their draws etc. Will increase you edge a bit.

I would add I am no expert in these things and there are far better players than me about. Still fairly confident in the above though.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #455 on: June 22, 2012, 18:02:19 PM »
Cracking post as always Steve fella :)

My first impressions.... early doors is mental, middle bit slows a bit, then people need to know their shoving ranges (which i still struggle with) Its not the most skillfull of games and you HAVE to run good in the early parts of it due to it being a turbo. Mildly tilting but i shall try and stick at it!
England C Captain 2012

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #456 on: June 22, 2012, 18:32:54 PM »

Cracking post as always Steve fella :)

My first impressions.... early doors is mental, middle bit slows a bit, then people need to know their shoving ranges (which i still struggle with) Its not the most skillfull of games and you HAVE to run good in the early parts of it due to it being a turbo. Mildly tilting but i shall try and stick at it!

Any reason you don"t just play the non turbos. You do still need early run good but it becomes less important. I might try some of the turbos this weekend as I have not a lot to do. I wish the football season would start.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #457 on: June 22, 2012, 18:54:15 PM »
There is no $2.50 non turbos lol!
England C Captain 2012

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #458 on: June 22, 2012, 22:26:32 PM »

There is no $2.50 non turbos lol!

I know

There are $4.50 non turbos though, still cheap enough and I think more +EV

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #459 on: June 23, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »
I now have 508 points on my betting experiment. Although looking back maybe the Portugal bet was not the best one although I am happy the England bet was good.

Today I am going 5 points on Vettel to get pole @ 3 on Betfair
1 point on Rosberg to win the European GP at 17

Today also looks like a good day to break my bad run in the 180 manners so gonna reg for a few of those as well. Probably play a bit of zoom as I still need to get a few more FPP this month.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #460 on: June 23, 2012, 14:42:03 PM »
Got the FPP I needed this morning but broke even (very slightly up by 90c) after doing my very best yoyo impression. Got unlucky, then got really lucky so likely to be a fair result. Just playing the $3.30 Saturday Micro at the moment. and after nearly two hours have starting stack.

Vettel won me my bet so I am now on 516 points with the Rosberg bet open, I will try and find an opportunity to lay that tomorrow.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #461 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »
Will be playing a session today. Will do a better one next weekend as I don"t have to work next Monday but have to be in the office for 7:30am tomorrow so want to be done by 11pm tonight really. So just a small session:-

12:30 The Hotter $4.40
12:35 $4.40 PL Omaha
14:00 The Bigger $5.50
16:00 The Bigger $8.80

Probably adding in some $4.50s

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #462 on: June 24, 2012, 19:33:58 PM »
current points 516

2 points on Italy to beat England @ 2.96 - Betfair

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #463 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
514 Points on my Betting plan.

Poker

Lost $40 at cash in the month of June only played about 3000 hands though so I will live with that. Down $26 in PLO and $14 in NLHE. Not playing cash very well at the moment but will probably spend some time looking at it and should put it right quickly enough.

Made a bit of a come back in the $4.50"s at the end of the month but still ended up down for the month on them by $26 over 33 tournaments but that after a run of not cashing in the first 24 and being down $108 on them.

I actually played 34 other tournaments and won $317 in them which saved the month a bit.

I was down $17.58 in the $2.50 turbo"s, only played 9 and min cashed once.

The total for the month was $233.42 in profit. This month I want to do 6000 cash hands across NLHE and PLO. I want to play 60 $4.50"s. I will also try to post some hands in the Strategy section and link them from here.

Will do a Sunday schedule today and update on The Rail Thread

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #464 on: July 02, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
Opening Balance 514 Points

The Open Championship

1pt Lee Westwood @ 16.5 on Betfair
1pt Rory McIlroy @ 18 on Betfair

Closing Balance 512 Points