Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257094 times)

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #480 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

You know it makes sense ;-)      Unlike Bolton, there will be no major puddles to avoid ... avoiding Stuart though might be more of a problem  ;D

Have you seem the weather lately, reckon there might be puddles, everywhere. Stu will be no help in avoiding them and Ger is playing the team event. I suggest you come up on the Friday as well to ensure we don"t wander into any zone that might have puddles. 

Jack and Dawn should also come (sure do remember the last time I was in Nottingham with them).

Shame Asa can"t make it as well (can"t work cope without you for just a few days?)

It ties in with the busiest few days of the year :( That, and my head office has decided it"d be a great time to take my boss out of work and put her on a training course for a week. Which means I"ll probably being doing 5/6long days. All it means is I"ll just have to win it all at Glasgow and at the worlds in late March/early April!
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #481 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Wiiiiiiiiiii congrats on the 1000 rodders!

Yip will be there Friday, I will have my "what the feck is this stud malarkey" book with me, will be drinking from midday. Friday evening I"ll be having incredibly witty conversations in my head whilst probably looking on the outside like I"m in a coma / a little bit simple. So no difference really.

Happy days. Please come  ;D
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #482 on: August 08, 2012, 14:41:54 PM »

You know it makes sense ;-)      Unlike Bolton, there will be no major puddles to avoid ... avoiding Stuart though might be more of a problem  ;D

Have you seem the weather lately, reckon there might be puddles, everywhere. Stu will be no help in avoiding them and Ger is playing the team event. I suggest you come up on the Friday as well to ensure we don"t wander into any zone that might have puddles. 

Jack and Dawn should also come (sure do remember the last time I was in Nottingham with them).

Shame Asa can"t make it as well (can"t work cope without you for just a few days?)

Waaaay ahead of ya .... I"m there with bells on ... well, not literally, unless you bring bells obv.

See you Fri night  ;D

Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #483 on: August 08, 2012, 15:14:13 PM »
Feck, I fully intend to go deep (ooer) in the Stud on Friday.

That might delay my appearance at the bar...or not.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #484 on: August 08, 2012, 22:05:21 PM »
Pointless post alert

Phil just to answer the question, studs are something on football boots, nothing to do with poker to the best of my knowledge. Not sure what Paulie is taking about with something delaying his arrival at the bar, maybe he is coming by steamer? (or was that Carl?)

Jack and Dawn are not coming to Nottingham until Sunday this time so I am likely to remember more than being in a hotel bar and Chambers before waking up in my room the next morning. Unless they change their mind, if they do can everybody please buy Jack lot"s of full fat beer.

Hopefully it will be sunny therefore Michelle will forget all about the puddle and not mention it all weekend. Not that she reminds me of it that often anyway.

Great news is that both Ger and Dan Owston are playing the team event which they are likely to take quite seriously so the bar will remain fully stocked on the Friday. However Scouse has managed to gain entry to DTD so may have the reverse effect on that.

Asa needs to plan better in April but can follow online and see us all in Glasgow.

Stu will be Stu all weekend, somebody once told me he once did quite well in the European Championship once. Made the final table or something like that.

-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2012, 17:16:35 PM »
So last weekend was DTD. The weekend was one of the really great APAT weekends, so many legends there, Jaxie, The Stockton Massive, BCPC, Michelle, Paulie_D, Ian T, Curly, Grant, JP, Suzanne, Dan, Rudders, Paul Mac and of course Ger "The Duke" Smyth. Loads more as well sorry have not got space to name that many.

The weekend started a bit strange. I wanted to go up Friday but could not get away due to having this week off work also the front screen heater on my car stopped working and I didn"t want to drive up not being able to see where I was going so go a lift with Darren Shallis (APAT great of about 143 final tables). We drove through the sea for some reason (although we both agreed the M50 should have been there). We got to DTD and it was like it used to be. All the people were there, we don"t have enough of these any more.

I entered the six-max, played with some card and chips got knocked out somehow, not that I actually remember how. Then sat at the bar chatting with various people well into the night. Eventually got a lift back with Paulie at about 3am.

Woke up in the morning, 10:30am what to do for the next 4 hours, ah that"ll be the Waters Edge then. We all get food and the beer flows, we wonder if we should go and play poker or just stay here, then go and play poker. Don"t know why we keep having to do that on APAT weekends. Anyway I spend the next 13 hours playing poker, manage to actually take it seriously, get some chips lose some chips then get them back. Everybody else goes off to Chambers, I don"t as I am still playing poker. Mind you that might not be a bad thing, I remember the last time I went to Chambers, I blame Dawn... and Jack.

Anyway I had lots of chips at one point but the blinds kept going up so I had to get some 3-bets through which I was able to do made day two with about 22 bigs which I thought would be enough. Find the boys and girls who have made it back to DTD. Phil_TC disappears into thin air which is a great trick. Stuart who has been drinking all day but can strangely still stand and talk drinks Phil"s pint for him. I then stand in the smoking area talking to Stu and Michelle before we get a taxi back.

Day two I make a good start and get up to close to average with a few well timed 3-bet shoves, then I make an error by putting the wrong colour chips in the pot and end up flat calling with KK and losing all my chips on a raggy flop. This is really poor play and I think I was clearly unhappy about it..... for about 10 minutes.

I watch Dan playing the PLO for a while but he was more interested in his PLO game on his ipad, from what I know about him it was probably a bigger game than the one he was playing at DTD. I eventually left, I can"t really put down in words how good this weekend was and I have not done it justice here. The APAT people are LEGENDS and a better group of people you will not find. I know it gets said all the time but it"s true.

Call out to Asa who was missed, therefore the WCOAP in April will be improved by his presence. I will see you in Glasgow mate.

Many Congratulations to Suzanne for her Six-max win and of course to Carl Pilgrim (Fandango) for taking down the main event - well played. DTD is a great place to be playing a final table there is something extra too it that others don"t have, they are so hard to get and few and far between so it"s really important to enjoy them. I think they did.

I got back and went to watch Newport County Vs Hereford a game we won 2-0. That won"t mean much to many of you but it is a bit like a local derby and we had not played for 20 years. It was the biggest crowd at Newport since their football league days and the whole thing was just something else #comeonthecounty.

Well I now had 3 days to get the 750 FPP"s needed to gain Silverstar status on Pokerstars. I have got 600 so far with a little bit of profit as well. I will do a proper poker update later on with some interesting hands.

Still not sure I actually LIKE live poker but at an APAT it really doesn"t matter. I seem to usually play quite well at them, even though most of the time I am not in the least bit bothered if I am still in or out, maybe there is something too that?

Play of the weekend in my opinion goes to Brendan though who made a great lay down with KK after correctly putting his opponent on AA, great effort by him as well in the main event, top bloke and a good player.

I will do a proper poker update later.

Oh and we are looking for a few good men or women for this

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=11860.msg188560;boardseen#new

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Is it really September already? I mean really thats crazy I am sure the year only started a couple of months ago. Well August was a good month. Newport County made a great start to the season winning five out of five, The ECOAP went off well and APAT arranged to take over Yarm. All excellent stuff really.

I have also booked my Hotel for Glasgow which whilst smaller than the last one will still be a good weekend. So what am I going to do in September. Playing some online poker will be good. I am not going to the football today as the coach was leaving at 9am and I had stuff to do in Swansea at 10am. Therefore I am going to start playing a bit online. My goal is to get enough FPP to attain Silverstar without playing cash. Actually I want to do it just playing the 180"s. That will be mainly the $2.50 and the $4.50 versions. I want to get a good start today and play about 50 of them and see how I do. I reckon I can do this and make a profit whilst I do it. Sharkscope has changed it"s mind about how much I am up in between yesterday and today. It now reports me to be £793 up at the start of the month so the goal is pretty simple the amount has to be above that at the end of the month having played enough of them to get silverstar.

The rake on the smallest ones is 22c so playing 50 of then should net me 77 points making the target number for the month somewhere around 500. Not sure if this can be done or not. If I am not making it at the end of the month I will most likely add some tournaments in to speed up the rate of getting the points.

Right let"s get started now.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
Good luck with them!!!

Was great to see you last week-end too.  Always a smile on your face and take the manic with the calm.  lol

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »

Good luck with them!!!

Was great to see you last week-end too.  Always a smile on your face and take the manic with the calm.  lol

tytyty

Now stop wasting your time on this silly thread and go and post confirmation of your attendance on the Yarm one :-)
How can we have an invasion without you and Jack?

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »

Anyway I had lots of chips at one point but the blinds kept going up so I had to get some 3-bets through which I was able to do made day two with about 22 bigs which I thought would be enough. Find the boys and girls who have made it back to DTD. Phil_TC disappears into thin air which is a great trick. Stuart who has been drinking all day but can strangely still stand and talk drinks Phil"s pint for him. I then stand in the smoking area talking to Stu and Michelle before we get a taxi back.

That was indeed an awesome trick ... I would have appreciated it more if I hadn"t spent the best part of half an hour stumbling round DTD looking for said Dynamo  :-\  

As for Stu .... the amazing drinking all day and still standing up trick also comes with the end of night cab sleeping trick .... how on earth can someone announce ""I am going to sleep now"" then head drop and literally fall alseep in a nano-second?????  

Another fantastic APAT weekend ... my ribs hurt so much from laughing, esp with the Curly convo"s and Walkabout frebreeze convo.    Next time I really should concentrate on the poker ;-)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2012, 13:43:38 PM »

Another fantastic APAT weekend ... my ribs hurt so much from laughing, esp with the Curly convo"s and Walkabout frebreeze convo.    Next time I really should concentrate on the poker ;-)

I wouldn"t bother, you get to sit at a table all day whilst everybody else sits in the bar drinking beer and generally having a great time, then they go off to the Karaoke bar and Walkabout, return after a few beers to tell you what a great night they had. Lose people and cigarettes due to an unexplained black hole at DTD. They sometimes reappear which is also strange.

So yeah, don"t worry about poker, not sure why we always have to have these games going on at APAT weekends to be honest they kind of get in the way :D

PS - Book Glasgow now please.

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2012, 14:37:40 PM »
Totally forgot about the disappearing/re-appearing cigarette!

GLASGOW FLIGHT BOOOOOOOKED  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #492 on: September 02, 2012, 05:18:27 AM »
Ran pretty badly yesterday. Could not win an allin, Pokerstars kept taking the piss out of me by letting me get to the river ahead before crushing me.

Tournmanets played: 34
Profit: $1.58

I was quite happy with the result given the fact I really did not run well. I did get a third but even in that one which could have been a first but I couldn"t win the flip at the key point.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4529300

Pretty standard spot there I think, every hand was a shove pre and I am clearly ahead of his range and there are not enough chips for me to fins a better spot.

I also got a 4th place where I ran AK into KK to lose most of my chips so standard spot again. I won"t post any other exit hands as they are pretty standard like I said.

Don"t think Silverstar can be done just on the silly little tournaments though so will have to play a bit of cash to keep that up. Played a short session of that (only about 200 hands). Won $6.80. Should have won more but could not lay down TPTK on a dry flop when my opponent almost always has a set.

So basically spent a whole day clicking buttons for a profit of $8. Up is up and all that.

In non poker events Newport County lost for the first time this season 2-0 away to Wrexham and I managed to break a coffee table. M"eh first world problems and all that.

GLASGOW FLIGHT BOOOOOOOKED  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well done, that weekend is now shaping up well also.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #493 on: September 02, 2012, 18:20:01 PM »
$2.50 Turbo"s

Tournaments played today: 19
Tournaments played Month: 53
Profit/Loss today: -$42.58
Profit/Loss Month: -$41
VPP: 100

Ran pretty bad today again and don"t think I played that well either. The turbo games are different to the non turbos in quite a few ways. I think by shoving and calling ranges are quite good though. I want to try and keep my volume up throughout the week. Plan is about 10 of these each evening.

Also played 300 hands on $25 Cash (This is holdem not PLO)

Hands: 304
VP$IP: 20.72%
PFR: 19.08%
3-Bet: 9.91%
Profit/Loss: +$15.66

Nothing exciting happened.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #494 on: September 02, 2012, 20:46:10 PM »
Something popped into my head today. I have been off work this week and am back in tomorrow. I am lucky enough that I quite like my job and enjoy working with most of the people I work with. It"s quite a laid back not too stressful role which is unusual in the environment I am in. So I am quite happy to be going back in tomorrow and don"t get the thing that other people tell me about where they dread going back after a week off. I suppose I run quite good there.

Now I was reading some updates and blogs on Blonde Poker earlier today and it came to my mind that the way I have spent this week ie played the ECOAP met up with a number of the other apat people had lot"s of fun. Spent lots of time playing online, also did some other cool stuff not related to poker. Seems like a decent way to spend a week off. It"s quite natural to think I suppose it would be good to just do this all the time.

Then I thought, well some people actually do. This is how they spend their life their life. It reminds me of the lyrics to a song.

Is it a blessing, or is it a curse?
Does it get any better, can it get any worse?
Will it go on forever, is it over tonight?
Does it come with the darkness, Does it bring out the light?
Is it richer than diamonds or just a little cheaper than spit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vddn9S7HHXg