Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257136 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #495 on: September 03, 2012, 21:36:13 PM »
So played a very short cash session only 99 hands and won $6.57.

VP$IP: 28.28%
PFR: 26.26%
3-Bet: 13.16%

Month

Hands: 403
Profit: $22.23
VP$IP: 22.58%
PFR: 20.84%
3Bet: 10.74%

Hold'em cash is difficult on Pokerstars at the moment even playing just the $25 buyin games. I am really struggling with my PLO at the moment unfortunately. Hopefully I can do something to help sort that out soon, got a few ideas,  but will just keep playing NLHE until then. Played a few of the $2.50 turbos as well.

Played - 11
Profit/loss : +$26.25

Bit disappointed with that as I had the chance to do better, in a few of them. I also probably made a huge mistake here by not raising pre, problem was he was usually calling my raises. Pretty sure I should still raise, end result probably same in this case.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4534429

Monthly total

Played 64
Total Loss = $14.75
FPP: 117.27
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #496 on: September 04, 2012, 19:55:57 PM »
Another quick session tonight with 101 hands of cash and 10 turbo $2.50"s. Results in cash were as follows:-

Today

Hands: 101
VP$IP: 26.73%
PFR: 25.74%
3Bet: 17.50%
Profit: $1.83

Basically a break even session. I am now $24.06 up for the month in cash over 504 hands though. This is running really good as it is 9.55BB/100 hands.

Also played 10 of the $2.50"s ran pretty good in one of them to pick up a second place:-

Played: 10
Profit: $87

Month to date

Played: 74
Profit: $47.25
ROI: 25.53%

VPP: 135.92

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #497 on: September 05, 2012, 19:46:27 PM »
Played a little session again today. Started with 100 cash hands which went well. Second hand I raised T6s from the SB and flopped 7-8-9 with 4 to a flush. Got it in against a player who was only playing $14, he had A8 so that made for a good start. I then proceeded to hit most of what I needed, got AA for the first time in cash this month and made a few dollars, flopped a set against KK, I kept running these hands into shortstacks but not complaining, in the small session to end up with these stats for the day:-

Hands: 100
VP$IP: 25%
PFR: 24%
3-Bet: 25%
Profit: $46.65

Month to Date

Hands: 603
VP$IP: 23.71%
PFR: 22.22%
3-Bet: 14.03%
Profit: $70.71

I then played 11 $2.50 180 manners, failed to cash in 10 of them and got a 3rd in the other one. Profit for the day on those was $21.33.

Month to date

Played: 85
Profit: $68.58
ROI: 32.27%

Total Profit: $139.29
Total VPP: 165

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2012, 19:53:59 PM »
Pretty uninteresting day today to be honest. I have one semi interesting hand from cash where I most likely make a bad call on the flop.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4543853

Not even sure about my preflop play here, I call but I am not really going to be good unless I make a set. I don"t make a set and the flop comes ace high. It checks around so I try to rep an ace on the flop, after calls and I check the river and he bets I am not sure what I beat on the river that could call the turn. Anyway the final stats were

Hands: 100
VP$IP: 23%
PFR: 19%
3Bet: 4.56%
Profit: $2.62

Switch to the 180 manners played 10 of them. Got some hands which are kinda interesting I suppose. First one is an exit hand:-

A call that is clearly +cEV but should I call in this spot? I only have 3 hands on my opponent and he has raised 2 of them.

Average stack is about 10K and we have less than 30 players remaining, can I lay this hand down (I don"t think so).

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4544335

Played 10 of the 180 manners did not cash in any I had another hand very similar to the above where I had AQ and called a shove and lost to 77. I probably could have folded both and min cashed in both tournaments but I have more chance of making a really deep run by making the calls here.

Month to Date

Cash Hands: 703
VP$IP: 23.61%
PFR: 21.76%
3Bet: 12.5%
Profit: $73.33

180s Played: 95
Net Profit: $45.58
ROI: 18.75%

FPP: 186
Total Profit: $118.91

The idea is to get 750 VPP using this method of very short sessions. This is the first time I have actually been playing mid week for quite a while as I have really just played on weekends recently. I am going to try and hit hard on the weekend, even though I want to go to the football on Saturday and do need to nip into work for a couple of hours on Sunday. Will try not to over do it though as I am pretty happy with how it is going.

In other news I have booked the time off work for Stoke (I used to live up that way) and for the WCOAP. I used Paulie"s link to get the cheap deal for the hotel for Stoke, enough people staying there so getting taxi"s to the venue and back should not be an issue. The only problem is I can"t get that Friday off work (can get a half day) so will drive up and play with the M6 after work.

Newport County lost to Dartford away last night which means they have lost two straight games after winning the first 5. Hopefully they will recover and beat Stockport on the weekend. I will probably go to the pub to watch Wales lose to Belgium tomorrow night as well.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2012, 22:23:29 PM »
The TT hand, im just not sure hes shoving that wide of a range for that many bbs utg that TT beats, i think were going to run into overpair (maybe not AA and KK as will assume he will open raise these as opposed to open shove a larger percentage) a lot here or be flipping :\ If he shoves it in from later position obv his range gets wider and the tens is a much more comfortable stack off. Do you have any stats on the player?

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2012, 22:30:26 PM »

Pretty uninteresting day today to be honest. I have one semi interesting hand from cash where I most likely make a bad call on the flop.

Not even sure about my preflop play here, I call but I am not really going to be good unless I make a set. I don"t make a set and the flop comes ace high. It checks around so I try to rep an ace on the flop, after calls and I check the river and he bets I am not sure what I beat on the river that could call the turn. Anyway the final stats were

Calling pre to hit a set is fine, sets are gold in these games but keep in mind that it"s an implied odds spot and we have better implied odds versus tighter opening ranges, they will more often have a hand that can stack off versus our set.

If the preflop call is based on the plan to setmine, you need to stick with that plan and not get involved in tough marginal spots that drain on the overall profitability of that plan. No set no bet!

For some perspective on the "bad" river call, that one bet is 10 bb"s lost and turns your session from +15bb/100 to +5bb/100, thats from good to great in one decision over a 100 hand session.

I"d also make a note on villains half pot river value bet with 2nd pair, suggests he"s somewhat capable and is likely super transparent and exploitable.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2012, 22:50:37 PM »
Yep 100% agree with you there Brendan, Good post again etc etc :).

I have made a note of the player of course and think your assessment is spot on.

Problem with tighter opening ranges is everybody opens looser these days, we both remember the days when these games were limpfests, now you almost never get an unraised pot. It means you have to play better post flop, which I definately did not do in this hand.

It happens, and it always will, but the idea is to minimize it so if you could just keep reminding me how silly this sort of thing is when I post them I would be most grateful

btw Brendan - at ECOAP I was a bit dismissive about your fold of the Kings in that spot. Thinking about it it really is an excellent fold (not one many people can make) and the correct one from how you described it. It was a horrible spot but if ou can consistently get away from that sort of spot you are going to do really well long term. So yeah, fantastic play, don"t think I said that at the time.

Hope to see you at Glasgow (though ideally not at my starting table). I put Team Viewer back on my new PC if you are ever interested in watching a short cash session, no doubt you could offer some great advice, would also be happy to reciprocate of you want.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #502 on: September 06, 2012, 22:57:53 PM »
Happy to do a session on teamviewer, probably better to review some hands on HM replayer. I can jabber on and thats distracting when you are playing ;D
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2012, 23:24:33 PM »
Another pretty uninteresting day on cash which is how we like it. I did play a few more hands today but tend to think 100 hands is enough after a day in work. Hopefully be able to put in a decent session in the morning before going to the football.

Hands today: 201
VPIP: 20.4%
PFR: 18.41%
3Bet: 6.02%
Profit: $10.89

Nothing worth mentioning happened. Best win was $5.75 when a short stack shoved A9 into my AK BvB. I have not had many big hands but have just been winning small pots and am quite pleased with my red line.

I then lost $13.03 in 180 manners, played 8 and came 9th in 1. Still feels like I am flipping really bad but can"t be too bad as I am still $30 up over the month in them.

Total Cash profit: $84.22
Total 180 man profit: $30.55

Not too bad really.

Happy to do a session on teamviewer, probably better to review some hands on HM replayer. I can jabber on and thats distracting when you are playing ;D

That"s also fine by me mate

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #504 on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:39 AM »

Not even sure about my preflop play here, I call but I am not really going to be good unless I make a set. I don"t make a set and the flop comes ace high. It checks around so I try to rep an ace on the flop, after calls and I check the river and he bets I am not sure what I beat on the river that could call the turn.

Right, this is my last attempt to get you thinking and and looking at/reviewing ranges..

I dont mind the bet on the turn, why?
because if say villain is raising say 15% from MP 6 handed -
22+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,ATo+,KJo+

if you think he will cbet all his ace x hands then thats 33% of his range gone already..
what can he check back? - Qx AA QQ

how much of his range after checking the flop back consists of Qx ?
only 12% - KQs,QTs+,KQo
how much of range will be mosters including the deuce turn? 12% - AA,QQ,44,22

so you may get a fold 67% of the time, even if he has checked back some of his weaker aces, betting that much on the turn as you did will show a profit as long as you get 35%+ folds.. [and yes you can even taking into account the 3rd player in the sb, he has checked twice, so you figure it out]

right the river - even if he has checked back the flop with some of his weaker aces, combine that with monsters then he will have a range of about 33% at best, i"m allowing for a % for him to bet flop or to re-raise your turn bet with his stronger hands [AA,QQ,44,22,ATs-A9s,KQs,QTs+,ATo,KQo] , look at his bet sizing, what would you weigh his range as most likely to be?  look at the pot size, if you check raise he may fold from 50% to 64% and maybe more, thats allowing for the odd hero call with a Queen or KK you could check raise to $10 and show a profit, you would need him to fold around 58% to break even, make it $7.5 then you need about 50% folds, do some maths for the check jam, how often do you think he will call? allow for to be called by monsters and the weaker aces he checked behind on the flop, then for fun start to allow for a % of when he will bet his monsters on the flop, re-raise your turn bet with 2pair+ etc etc to see how often your check jam would be called...

get pokerstove and a calculator and start breaking these scenarios down, always think about your opponent’s range of hands and how he will play that range, use a bit of deductive reasoning to determine what hands are likely [never auto pilot]... making the best decision is mostly improved away from the table, add in experience/volume of play so then that your assumptions of various players ranges and how they would play them will improve, then you"ll be on your way to beating whatever stake you are playing at..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:59:16 AM by noble1 »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #505 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »
Check raising the river never entered my head. Is this really bad?
Will try and do what Noble suggested on that hand which sounds really complex and come back to it. Here later.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #506 on: September 08, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
I might see if noble1 fancies writing Poker"s Ten Commandments  :D

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #507 on: September 08, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »

I might see if noble1 fancies writing Poker"s Ten Commandments  :D

Reckon he could as well, definitely should do it !!!!

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #508 on: September 08, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
So decided to pop a session in this morning sticking with the formula I have been using this month. Thought I would play a bit more cash to push the VPP points up a bit as I have decided 750 can"t be done with just the 180 manners.

Cash went pretty well, ran good in a few spots when I needed too. The hand coverter is not working at the moment but I got it in on the flop with AA against a loose player. The flop was a monotone and I had the nut flush draw. I was pretty sure he was calling with a worse flush draw and also a worse hand so over bet the flop slightly to set him in. He called and had top pair with no flush draw. I hit the flush on the turn to lock the hand up, but was well ahead anyway.

I got lucky when I tried to steal a pot on the turn after raising J8 OTB got called by AT and the flop came Ace high, I chcked the flop, he checked to me again on the turn so I bet the turn which was a J as I did not think he had the Ace. He called so I thought I was ahead and was going to check behind OTR I think. The river was then a jack so I was 100% in front I bet the river and he called and for some reason had AK. He should not turn up with this hand here but it made me a little money.

I lost a pot when I bet the flop and the turn after hitting TPTK with AK. I honestly thought he had a worse ace so probably should be betting the river as well. I checked the river and he showed a worse ace but had hit two pair on the river. I felt very clever at the time but looking at it again the check on the river is bad and bet/fold is much better as he has a lot of worse aces there as well as certain other hands he has decided not to believe me with.

I seemed to encounter a lot of 3 betting, and had to fold to most of it. Was quite happy with a play I made against a player where I shoved the turn on a stone cold bluff (see what I did there Stu?). He 3 bet me which he has done a lot (you build up hands pretty quickly on the regs in zoom) I called him with 55 and missed a dry flop. I check raised him, I knew he was calling me pretty wide but think I get enough folds to make it worth doing. I know he will shove on me with a strong hand. He calls so I know he does not have sets or good two pairs, an overpair is possible but he should see that I am repping a strong hand and can"t have a draw on this flop. His call is pretty weak here. I shove the turn and he quickly folds. I quite like that hand as I think it is a good example of how to pick spots.

Did get a bit coolered when I ran QQ into KK pre, it did not all go in but I did call the 3-bet before having to call flop and turn bets before we both checked the ace on the river (river may have saved me another bet). Don"t think there is too much of an issue there.

Hands Played today: 306
VP$IP: 20.86%
PFR: 18.86%
3Bet: 6.25%
Profit: $22.32

So cash goes really well. This month I am up $106 over 1200 hands which is running really well. I have played the best I have played for a while though.

I played 10 of the 180 man sitngo"s but did not cash, now pretty much break even for the month on them ($5.50 up). This is a hand on the bubble of one. There are a few shorter stacks than me, is anybody doing anything different?

PokerStars - $2.28+$0.22|500/1000 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: 8,855.00
Hero (BTN): 9,534.00
SB: 33,272.00
BB: 29,073.00
UTG: 14,476.00
UTG+1: 6,825.00
MP: 12,850.00

CO posts ante 100.00, Hero posts ante 100.00, SB posts ante 100.00, BB posts ante 100.00, UTG posts ante 100.00, UTG+1 posts ante 100.00, MP posts ante 100.00, SB posts SB 500.00, BB posts BB 1,000.00

Pre Flop: (2200.00) Hero has Ac 2c

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9,434.00 and is all-in, fold, BB calls 8,434.00

Flop: (20068.00, 2 players) 7s 8c Th

Turn: (20068.00, 2 players) 2s

River: (20068.00, 2 players) 8d

BB shows 7c As (Two Pair, Eights and Sevens) (Pre 60%, Flop 93%, Turn 95%)
Hero shows Ac 2c (Two Pair, Eights and Twos) (Pre 40%, Flop 7%, Turn 5%)
BB wins 20,068.00

Obviously I would fold this hand if somebody shoved into me but I have to shove there don"t I? Or don"t I?

Right off to the pub now before going to watch Newport County Vs Stockport. We have lost both of our last two games but they were away and we are looking really good at home so hopefully get back to winning ways.

I need to get 9 VPP tomorrow to be on target to hit 750 by month end.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2012, 21:18:54 PM »
Lost a buyin today, played 104 hands of cash and did not play that well if I am honest. Made at least one poor call on the river. I had been folding to a lot of 3-bets this month and decided I should peel one off and got myself into trouble for it (as often happens).

Did not bother with the 180 manners today, likely to play some of those after work tomorrow

Hands Today: 104
Loss Today: $24.71
VP$IP: 25.96
PFR: 24.04
3Bet: 10.34