Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257324 times)

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »

Lost a buyin today, played 104 hands of cash and did not play that well if I am honest. Made at least one poor call on the river. I had been folding to a lot of 3-bets this month and decided I should peel one off and got myself into trouble for it (as often happens).

Did not bother with the 180 manners today, likely to play some of those after work tomorrow

Hands Today: 104
Loss Today: $24.71
VP$IP: 25.96
PFR: 24.04
3Bet: 10.34

Might join you ... T Viewer later?  

EDIT: Just realised it"s the Irish Online ME Sat tonight ... probably will play that so bump TV session to another night if yr free?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:57:49 AM by HOLDorFOLD »
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2012, 17:43:13 PM »

Lost a buyin today, played 104 hands of cash and did not play that well if I am honest. Made at least one poor call on the river. I had been folding to a lot of 3-bets this month and decided I should peel one off and got myself into trouble for it (as often happens).

Did not bother with the 180 manners today, likely to play some of those after work tomorrow

Hands Today: 104
Loss Today: $24.71
VP$IP: 25.96
PFR: 24.04
3Bet: 10.34

Might join you ... T Viewer later?  

EDIT: Just realised it"s the Irish Online ME Sat tonight ... probably will play that so bump TV session to another night if yr free?

Would be great. Just ping me whenever.

-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2012, 20:07:19 PM »
Had another up and down day. Up in cash, down in tournaments, I thought I left that model of playing poker behind ages ago *lol*.

Played cash first and played 202 hands which is more than I would normally do but wanted to get a bit ahead of the game in the VPP stakes. I won $26.88 which is nice.

We will go with the hand that had the biggest loss first. I will try and explain my thinking all the way through. I have no hands on my opponent which is a hazard of playing Zoom.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4551017

I raise KQo from UTG+1. I pick up a call from the button. Everybody else folds. The flop is fairly good for my hand and I hit top pair good kicker. I think I am good unless he has KJ as I have eliminated most combos of AK as they would three bet pre. He probably does not have a 4 so I beat most of his range, obv he could have a set of fours but not that concerned about that tbh at this point. I bet out for about 3/4 of the pot and he calls. I am thinking he could have a Jack here or a worse King. The six on the turn should change nothing and I bet again about half the pot and he calls. The river again changes nothing and if I was good on the turn I am good on the river. I therefore put in a little bet which I reckon will get paid off by worse Kings and maybe the odd Jack. He shoves on me. I just don"t see him doing this with a busted flush draw which is about all he can have that I beat. I think I pretty much have to be beat here so I fold. This maybe incorrect, happy for people to pick holes in the above but I am fairly happy at the moment

Here is a hand for another perspective though. Again this maybe good, it may be bad but happy for holes to be picked. This is against a more regular player who plays 20/18 (pretty standard) will raise light in position and usually fold to a 3-bet of he is light.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4551021

When he raises I put in a 3-bet and expect to get a fold. When I don"t I am putting him on maybe a pair or two broadway cards. The flop should give me a super profitable C-bet so I do that and get called again. Now I think he could have a weak pair (maybe the ten) or a draw with the two face cards. I think he would raise a set but he could have it. I bet again on the turn and he calls again which I didn"t expect. I thought he would either stick in in my face and force me to fold, or fold himself. His whole line looks pretty weak. The river is a 10 which makes it less likely he has got one. At this stage there are a lot more draws in his range and maybe some stubborn pairs as well. I decide shoving here is the best move. I think I played him pretty well there although it is a bit risky out of position.

I then spent some time winning little pots by making some pretty normal moves. One thing I have noticed is that I am coming up against a LOT of 3 betting at the moment. Here is a good example of a player I know will 3-bet light from the blinds. Reckon I played this well but people can tell me otherwise if they want too.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4551024

Hands Today: 202
VP$IP: 27.72%
PFR: 25.25%
3-Bet: 7%
Profit: $26.88

So I happily headed off to play some 180 manners. I regged for 4 of the $2.50"s and 2 of the $4.50"s. I much prefer the $4.50"s but they run less often and take a lot longer to play.

Not much happened. I played and I lost. I did make an important mistake in one of the turbos though.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4551026

I should probably be shoving pre here, probably getting called anyway but it"s a bit poor really.

So Yeah

Played: 6
Cashed: $0
Loss today: $19

Not sure if I am doing anything wrong or this is just the swing of turbo"s. Probably the later, may switch to the $4.50"s.

Not sure there is any point in continuing the daily updates now as the point was to try and get 750VPP playing only the $2.50 turbo"s. I pretty much gave up on that straight away and played cash and now have played some of the $4.50"s as well. Suppose I may as well keep it going for the month as I have started it.

I have 285 VPP by the way and I am one third of the way through the month.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #513 on: September 11, 2012, 20:46:54 PM »
So another day of pokers. Not too sure how some people do thius and only this every day I would have thought it would be soul destroying on times.

So came home from work (I usually enjoy my job but today was a pain in the ass) and popped on intending to play around 100 hands of Zoom. Get invovled in this hand, don"t think I cover myswelf in glory. I don"t hate how I played the hand but my logic was all wrong. The player is a random.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4552267

In the best poker-speak, onvious preflop raise is obvious. I get called which happens quite often. Flop lands dry. Callers in this spot can have a really wide range of hands. I therefore bet out as it"s going to be profitable to c-bet this flop 100% of the time really bvb. My bet is 2/3 of the pot and he calls. This to me means he should have something, the hands that run through my mind are:-

Flush Draw
Some Kind of Ten
Some other pair
Very small % of the time he had a set.
Random float

The turn comes down and against the above range I am getting a fair few folds. A set or flush draw should certainly raise me so if he has that at least I lose no more money. A ten may call and may fold any other pair is folding. A float may call me if they had a club. He calls so I have him on

A Club
A small % of tens

OK so the river hit"s. The Ace was one of the main club cards I think he could have been holding so that reduces the single club hands a little.

I try to rep the club myself then but unless I have a KK or QQ I am not sure this is a good spot as I am repping a really small % of hands. I think I still get a fair few folds there, it"s not a terrible play as if in doubt betting is usually better than checking.

I get it back when I get in a hand with a player who I have more hands on just over 100 who 3-bets wide, his % is higher than mine, and I have a note on which reads "floats flops very wide, usually bets/raises with strong hands".

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4552269

It is harder to put him on a range of hands here butI was not a fan of him calling the 4-bet as I expected im to fold so I knew he must have something. AA or KK would have got it in but QQ, JJ, TT, AK and AQ are all possible a few smaller pairs are also in there somewhere. When the flop is Ace high I think I have to c-bet. The problem is I know he does not have to have the ace to call here so I am forced to basically shove on the turn. It"s a high variance spot that went my way this time.

I am going to need to start to Note how players react to 4-bets better as there is so much 3-betting going on these days and I am not expoliting it as well as I should be.

Anyway

Hands Today: 105
VP$IP: 26.67%
PFR: 25.71%
3-Bet: 11.76%
Profit: $6.09

My fold to 3-bet stands at 85% is this too high do you think? Between 60 and 70 sounds better.

Anyway that was cash, continues to go relatively OK.

The 180 manners, still can"t cash lol will do review of them tomorrow

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #514 on: September 12, 2012, 18:52:43 PM »
Small cash session today. Will complete write up later, have not looked back through it yet. I dispute any suggestion I am a lucky fish in the hand where I have 99 *lol*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzlIVin-g8&feature=plcp

------------------------------------------------------

Made the little You Tube Video to show a run of the mill cash session and how things generally went.

There were a few hands that thrown up questions. Let"s start with the 99 hand.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4556428

I raise 99 UTG, I think this is OK. He 3-bets which can be a fairly wide range at these tables however I don"t see the point in 4-betting. I call and see the flop which is not bad for 99. He bets the flop. To be honest the bet is quite strong and alarm bells did ring. All the overpairs are in his range here and some random tens. I feel like I have to call but was planning to give up if he shoved the turn and try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. The turn comes down BINK, he shoves, I rip up the previous plans and call to win a decent pot. He has AA.

I should probably have read a bit more strength in his 3 bet as I raised UTG, if I had been the button my play is probably fine but looking back at it now I don"t like it too much.

Then there is the AK hand against AQ.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4556429

On this hand preflop is obviously fine, the flop must also be fine and the turn seems OK as well. Do I miss value on the river. I can"t decide, I mean he probably folds this hand if I bet the river at a decent size but long term I miss value here by not betting don"t I. He can"t have a big hand very often and the only hand he realistic might have a bit that I lose too is KQ. Should have bet that river.

Hands Played today: 114
VP$IP: 24.56%
PFR: 22.81%
3-Bet: 6%
Profit: $17.94

Unfortunately decided to play another session last night. Not going to go too much into it as don"t like bad beat/cooler stories but lost $51.25 by running AA into a set and by getting Top pair in against a flush draw which hit. Stuff like that happens but It means my cash profit for the month is now only $65. Doubt I could have done much about either situation to be fair.

Wonder if I am brave enough to try and take on the 180 man sitngo"s tonight.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 19:39:03 PM by AAroddersAA »

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
AK v AQ hand, I think you can bet more on the turn. I read a decent piece somewhere recently (wish I could remember where) which suggested that betting half pot, half pot on hands like this lost value and that 65-75% was preferred. Tie that view in with the oft-expressed view that at this level we can bet bet bet until we get raised and the hand wins more.

Bet the river too.

His range may include KQ, or an 8 of some flavour (but not many) but the way he"s played it doesn"t suggest he has anything that scary.

99 hand. Are we set-mining? Not sure there"s value in that given an effective stack of $13. Definitely not folding to a very routine c-bet on that flop though.

Love the reports you write and wish I had the discipline to do the same.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

AK v AQ hand, I think you can bet more on the turn. I read a decent piece somewhere recently (wish I could remember where) which suggested that betting half pot, half pot on hands like this lost value and that 65-75% was preferred. Tie that view in with the oft-expressed view that at this level we can bet bet bet until we get raised and the hand wins more.

Bet the river too.

His range may include KQ, or an 8 of some flavour (but not many) but the way he"s played it doesn"t suggest he has anything that scary.

99 hand. Are we set-mining? Not sure there"s value in that given an effective stack of $13. Definitely not folding to a very routine c-bet on that flop though.

Love the reports you write and wish I had the discipline to do the same.

David, thanks for the comments mate. Do hope your home town survives, I hear it is coming under attack. I reckon yourself, Brian and that other group of players (assuming they get past the bar) will defend it"s poker tables and pubs more than adequately, although I would suggest you request assistance from the mayor just to be on the safe side.

Sorry poker, yes.

99 hand

No, not set mining, as you say no value in that. I have been seeing a lot of 3-betting in this game lately and therefore thought I was likely to be ahead of a 3-bettor range. On reflection, this is flawed though, I got this wrong as I raised from EP, as I said if I had raised the button it would have been fine I think. The flop is really good for my hand, I am going to see an overcard often but a 10 is not very scary and two of them make it that much less likely he has it. Played bad and got rewarded, it happens sometimes.

It was pretty obviously going to happen anyway though, I have read the rest of the forum recently and learned Stars is rigged/flawed/does not work properly. So those of us who get our money in bad keep winning. Personally I find this very useful and have emailed Stars to request they continue to do this as otherwise I am bound to start losing money on the site. :p

Sorry, back to being serious :)

I agree with your assessment of the AK vs AQ hand and think your point about bet sizing is spot on. Also the bet until raised point is excellent. I know Pleno (on Blonde) is a huge advocate of that at micro stakes and he has regularly destroyed them.

I like writing this blog every now and again, doing it all the time is too hard though, wish I could keep it up all the time but it"s pretty cool even infrequently I reckon. I started doing this month as a challenge to myself to get silverstar just playing $2 180 manners but figured out I could not do it but just carried on writing up the standard games anyway. Am off work today as I was owed some days therefore going to lose some money at 180 manners later.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2012, 17:59:11 PM »
So played a decent sized cash session this morning. It didn"t start that well and this was one of the first hands that I played.

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=11950.0;topicseen

Not 100% sure that my calling the shove is a good play, he shows up with JJ and it is a race (which I lose). It"s a bad call though, I somehow doubt he is doing this with AJ and if I give him a range of 88+ and AK then it is a clear fold.

Then I manage to play a few hands a bit poorly, some of spots were OK and I just ran into the higher part of peoples range. A couple of examples here.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4558373
http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4558375

I then got some back in a standard spot with AA against a short stack with $10. Then I spend some time breaking even just winning and losing small pots. Manage to stay ahead of the blinds and rake but not much else.

Then got QQ and won a hand with that so ended the session.

Total hands: 514
VP$IP: 23.54%
PFR: 21.4%
3Bet: 12.23%
Profit: $11.69

update on 180 manners later. I really will do it today.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2012, 19:31:33 PM »
I am really not doing very well in the 180"s at the moment. Losing a lot of flips which is part and parcel of these. I know it will turn around so not too worried about it of course.

Played Today: 8
Loss today: $30
Loss month: $57.95

I have made a few bad plays as well so can"t complain too much about that.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2012, 15:07:38 PM »
Bad day today on the pokers. For some reason played PLO this morning:-

Hands: 100
VP$IP: 25.87%
PFR: 17.13%
Total Loss: $30.25

Played badly no other excuses for it.

Then played 8 $2.50"s did not cash in any of them.

A few exit hands from the 180"s here. These are from today, I don"t think I am doing too much wrong here but have run pretty cold in them lately. It will go in the other direction at some time so just have to grin and bear it really. Will look through the hanmds and run sitngo wiz on a few tonight but can"t see too much wrong.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561167

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561168

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561159

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561160

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561162
*This one is not an exit but is the most significant hand

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561169
*This one is not an exit but is the most significant hand

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4561166
*This hand I am fairly sure he is callling with any two but I need to double through anyway so thats OK?

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2012, 16:19:06 PM »
Hi  i know you don"t know me but hope you don"t mind me commenting.

I think the 10 10 hand in the 10/20 blind level is a little loose, others might disagree but i think in this format this early a call is fine pre flop and then fold to the shove. Obv once you have 3 bet theres too much of your stack in thre to fold. I know you have to finish top 3 for decent money but i don"t think you will be getting it in way ahead very often this early pre.

The TJ hand i am def shoving some of the time but i don"t know if its worth putting your full stack in the pot for what you can win or if its better waiting for a different spot.

The AT hand i think you are going to have him dominated a fair bit and pretty much never be behind from what you said and its his mistake for that *cough amazing call that he made.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #521 on: September 14, 2012, 16:35:27 PM »

Hi  i know you don"t know me but hope you don"t mind me commenting.

I think the 10 10 hand in the 10/20 blind level is a little loose, others might disagree but i think in this format this early a call is fine pre flop and then fold to the shove. Obv once you have 3 bet theres too much of your stack in thre to fold. I know you have to finish top 3 for decent money but i don"t think you will be getting it in way ahead very often this early pre.

The TJ hand i am def shoving some of the time but i don"t know if its worth putting your full stack in the pot for what you can win or if its better waiting for a different spot.

The AT hand i think you are going to have him dominated a fair bit and pretty much never be behind from what you said and its his mistake for that *cough amazing call that he made.

Anybody can comment at any time for sure.

You may well be right on the TT hand. It might be loose early on but people can turn up with small pair here as well. It is going to win chips long term is it worth putting your life on the line? I think so but never been that great at figuring that out - there is a small edge there and I doubt I should be turning it down. Not 100% sure though.

The TJ hand, If you are raising it has to be shove. The stacks are effective 12BB deep raise/folding should not be an option here.

I think I can fold the AT if I am huge on chips and so is he, even if I think he is calling with that hand but I needed to get a double through anyway so am happy enough to take the better side of a 60/40. He was pretty much calling everything which people at this level do and why not, it"s cheap and fun.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #522 on: September 14, 2012, 16:39:37 PM »
Just made this as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWeSZgHpjfM&feature=youtu.be

Has some interesting hands in it, better than the other one I think?

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2012, 18:40:17 PM »
I agree about the TJ hand, i just meant that i think open folding is an option but you want to pick up chips to make a top 3 and even when called your probably not going to be dominated too much and be live.

The TT hand as said previously i would rather play the flop this early than get in a raising war but im more used to 18 man/ 9 man sngs.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2012, 18:57:50 PM »

I agree about the TJ hand, i just meant that i think open folding is an option but you want to pick up chips to make a top 3 and even when called your probably not going to be dominated too much and be live.

The TT hand as said previously i would rather play the flop this early than get in a raising war but im more used to 18 man/ 9 man sngs.

Yeah open folding is an option. Thinking shoving makes you chips though, will run through sitngo wiz when I can be bothered :-)