Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257293 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2012, 13:08:12 PM »

I can"t see how you do anything other than stack off here.

the stacks are big here so I think flatting pre is ok but given the way villain plays the hand (very well IMO) it is still difficult not to lose 300BB here

Opinion on PHA thread is that it is definitely a call pre and I agree.

The opinion on if it is OK to stack off ott is split though, a few people reckon it is a bet/fold.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2012, 15:19:24 PM »

the stacks are big here so I think flatting pre is ok but given the way villain plays the hand (very well IMO) it is still difficult not to lose 300BB here

+1, set over set is really unlucky :"(   set over set versus the only other 300bb stack :"( :"( :"( :"( have you been skipping church??

Hate the 3b pre, what do you think 3b"ing achieves?

How you deal with the aftermath can be the difference though, you can look for solace and there is plenty to be had in this instance, or, you can eek out the smallest amount of clues that may just get you to a position where you eventually recognise that folding is a real consideration.

As an aside, it seems to me that you are a little hard on yourself when it comes to your cash game. I read earlier in the blog that you are running at 5bb/100 hands, that would put you in the top 5% bracket afaik. Imho it is important to acknowledge that, it can feed your enthusiasm for the game.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #542 on: October 04, 2012, 15:54:19 PM »
Good posts by Both Rob and Brendan here, nothing unusual about that of course, they are two of the best posters and players APAT has.

See below

+1, set over set is really unlucky :"(   set over set versus the only other 300bb stack :"( :"( :"( :"( have you been skipping church??

Hate the 3b pre, what do you think 3b"ing achieves?

Sitting at my desk right now I don"t think it achieves a whole lot. At the time I was thinking that I could end up with a really well disguised monster hand against another big stack that I could win a really big pot with. Like I said I understand the flaws in this but that is what I was thinking.

How you deal with the aftermath can be the difference though, you can look for solace and there is plenty to be had in this instance, or, you can eek out the smallest amount of clues that may just get you to a position where you eventually recognise that folding is a real consideration.

Yes looking back through hands is important. I quite like doing it and getting feedback on the hands. Don"t mind people telling me some plays were really bad either (like the 3-bet in the above hand). It all helps cut down the little leaks I think.

As an aside, it seems to me that you are a little hard on yourself when it comes to your cash game. I read earlier in the blog that you are running at 5bb/100 hands, that would put you in the top 5% bracket afaik. Imho it is important to acknowledge that, it can feed your enthusiasm for the game.

I hear you and you make a great point tbh

Not having problems with enthusiasm for online poker atm. I do sometimes but that"s just how I am and I just stop playing for a while.

I do OK at Hold'em cash, year to date I am running at just over 4BB/100 at $10nl and $25nl put together. I have lost it back at PLO though which is what I am going to be trying to put right when I get around to it, for now I am just leaving PLO until. I also took a couple of "shots" at $50nl which did not go so well so I am losing overall at online cash this year (not by much).

I am up about $500 at tournaments though, according to PT (including the APAT National League on Stars). The bottom line looks OK.

I make too many mistakes though by "clicking buttons". For example played about 500 hands today and won about $15 playing $10nl. This is about ~31BB/100 but I can still think of at least 5 situations where I really should lose less, clear mistakes not hands I am not sure over. I am sure everybody does this but it does sometimes annoy me that I make such basic mistakes (I am much more likely to get "tilted" by this than by getting outdrawn).

Overall I think my game is above average as I can beat $25nl on Pokerstars which I am lead to believe is pretty good. It is certainly a lot harder than beating most live games.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #543 on: October 04, 2012, 18:24:23 PM »
How do you play if you get four bet?

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #544 on: October 06, 2012, 19:36:59 PM »

How do you play if you get four bet?

I can"t remember, the hand has confused me so much.

I think I was going to fold, but I should just fold pre here apparently, although I can"t get a consensus even from some of the best players in these games about what is best in any part of this hand.

I think I have come up with this

Preflop - Is a fold
Flop - is a bet/God knows (fold, I guess?)
Turn - is a bet/fold

This is the sort of hand that is the difference between a really good player and just an OK player and merits spending some time on.

My opponent who is a zoom reg at $10nl and $25nl also plays the hand really well. My main mistake is not considering the impact of reverse implied odds before getting involved.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #545 on: October 06, 2012, 22:27:46 PM »
Maybe but to you he was an unknown? Still would find it hard to bet fold the turn, I saw the blonde thread but I really don"t know how many people are getting away from this

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2012, 00:05:43 AM »

I think I have come up with this

Posting - Never post results in OP fyp ;D ;D
Preflop - Is a fold
Flop - is a bet/God knows (fold, I guess?)
Turn - is a bet/fold

This is the sort of hand that is the difference between a really good player and just an OK player and merits spending some time on.

My opponent who is a zoom reg at $10nl and $25nl also plays the hand really well. My main mistake is not considering the impact of reverse implied odds before getting involved.

Just a read through the blonde thread and I 100% ( just for you Honeybadger ) think it is results based posting. See fyp above.

Don"t think folding pre is good this deep and especially versus a strong opening range.

Getting coolered as you did, is not evidence of this being a reverse implied odds spot imho.

On further reflection, your turn reraise may be a mistake, I just feel that it allows villain to maybe fold AA,KK,AQ,33,78 though at zoom 78 is very unlikely. Ranges here are likely super tight, its zoom poker and its an utg raise thats been 3b.

Finally, I totally agree with your assertion that it has been very worthwhile to analyse the spot and certainly not 50p.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2012, 14:48:58 PM »
Well done on your win last night Steve. Great to see your flying the Welsh flag and posting to encourage more of your team mates. Hope they"re hearing you loud & clear mate, look forward to catching up in Glasgow on friday  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #548 on: October 09, 2012, 13:07:05 PM »

Well done on your win last night Steve. Great to see your flying the Welsh flag and posting to encourage more of your team mates. Hope they"re hearing you loud & clear mate, look forward to catching up in Glasgow on friday  8)

Cheers Grant will look forward to Friday a lot  8)

I do believe it is only 3 days away now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poker has not been as good as it could be this month.

I am break even over 27 180 manners

180 man Tournaments: 27
Profit: $1.84
ROI: 2.73%

Cash has not gone well. I started the month on the first say by losing 3 buyins (the 77 vs QQ hand had something to do with that) and have been running at about break even since then. I have jumped around between $10nl and $25nl.

Hands: 5366
VP$IP: 23%
PFR: 18%
3Bet: 9.25%
Total loss: $79.83

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it Friday yet?

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #549 on: October 15, 2012, 00:44:58 AM »
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - very well done this week-end!!!   :D

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #550 on: October 15, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
Very well played Steve, a great weekend all round. Look forward to meeting up again soon mate  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #551 on: October 15, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »
Well played to get another medal Steve.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #552 on: October 15, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Steve, very well played over the weekend. You went for the win and it didn"t come off. Great record of 4 final tables and 4 medals.

A Gold one will come !!
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #553 on: October 15, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
Excellent 3rd place Rodders, VIP sir!!!!! ;D
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Sunseekers

• Silver Member
« Reply #554 on: October 15, 2012, 14:26:08 PM »
WP dude, so close,

must have been nice to say Raise to 1 MILLION
2009 WCOAP PLO BRONZE
2010 WCOAP STUD BRONZE
2010 IRLAND BRONZE
2011 ooooops
2012 ECOAP STUD BRONZE