Author Topic: Keeping Warm in Winter  (Read 257057 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Rodder's Boring Blog about Poker and Random stuff
« Reply #570 on: October 21, 2012, 18:05:27 PM »

I am off work for a week and half from 31st Oct although I could change this and go to Portugal?

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #571 on: October 21, 2012, 20:49:03 PM »

I am off work for a week and half from 31st Oct although I could change this and go to Portugal?

obv

and can we have less boring poker nonsense on here please and more on the life and times of Rodney J Medalwinner pls? If you"re worried about privacy, just tag it and that way everyone will know it"s just for me and Dawn to read.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
tl;dr

where"s the tags ffs?!?!

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2012, 16:37:28 PM »
I wonder if the victim in your quad sevens hand is the hero of blonde Mantis, or just a random Mantis?
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #575 on: November 01, 2012, 17:45:48 PM »
Sorry this post is tldr again but for most people who actually read this thread it is probably one hell of a lot more interesting than the last tldr. I am off work for 10 days not so thought I would spend some time playing and putting up posts.

New month, last month sort of just ended without me ever really playing much more. I played the APAT league on Sunday but did not play that well.

Played some Zoom cash today. It is an interesting game as it is harder to get reads on your opponents so basic strategy is important. I played this hand. I am really unsure how good this play is. No info at all on my opponent.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662813

I hate doing the 3-bet c-bet give up on the turn especially on that flop and turn. He could have the king but he certinaly does not have to have it. Maybe I should just fold pre but I don"t like flatting as we are not deep enough. Like I said not sure I played that hand very well, it would have been okayish OTB.

I do like how I play this next hand though

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662814

The way he plays it looks exactly like a misplayed overpair. Would not change anything about this hand.

This might also be a mistake, always unsure about this kind of spot.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662819

Here my preflop raise is fine. I have about 250 hands on the BB who is a reg in these games and I would expect him to have hands and notes on me as well. He is pretty tight and only had a 5% 3-bet.

I don"t think he is 3-betting with air although it is not impossible. I call trying to hit a decent flop which I do. He bets and I sort of want to shove but that looks exactly like a flush draw. Now he knows that I can be raising really wide here but I think he folds AK and AQ type hands anyway. If he has JJ-KK I am still 40%. I go for the smaller raise as it looks stronger than the shove and call off the shove I have the odds to do so against his range. Unsure how good peeling the 3-bet preflop is here even in position.

This is a spot I am on the right side of which I think is important.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4663568

He does not have to have the ace but two barrells mean he usually does.

Finally a pretty easy hand to play this but my opponents play is pretty standard play with QQ at this level. With most people the 4-bet can only be AA ot KK (maybe AK) if he

knows my game then he may know I CAN be 4-betting light but QQ is probably a fold once I 4-bet. I think this is an important part of being a winning player at these levels. I don"t think you have to go broke with QQ there.

Plays itself after the flop though.

This kind of hand is always interesting

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662908

So I have raised the button with basically nothing and hit top pair without a kicker, how do I play it from there? I think this is probably not too bad.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662909

This one is a good one imo. It sort of looks like a huge hand preflop but the weak bet on the turn in combo with check on the flop make me think AK. The river should probably be a fold. I am calling too many river value bets at the moment I think.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662911

I like how I play this one the way it turns out, After the Ace hots the turn I reckon a bet may well fold out anything a beat anbd the board is not very scary so I check to give him the chance to bluff the river

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4662913

Again this is an example of how often big hands get misplayed preflop. If the players knows me (and I have 100+ hands on him) he should know that he can profitably 4-bet AK against me here. As it is Maybe I miss some value as I did not think he was as strong as he was. I think it is probably fine again

Hands: 500
VP$IP: 30%
PFR: 26.8%
3-bet: 7.1%
Profit: $21.11

Played a few 180 manners as well

First one, went out in a pretty standard spot with QQ VS AK Think it was OK apart from that. Got up to 5K chips by getting it in with KK against JJ, here is exit hand, any issue here do you think?

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4663562

Second one, Started quite badly lost a pot with AA when I limped UTG and had to fold so was down to just over 1000 chips got it in 3 way against AQ and TT but lost probably my own fault for trying to be too clever with the AA to start with.

Third one, Again made a bad strat with possibly a bad call on the river in a pot early on. Ended up down to 850 Chips and having to play tight so folded hands for a while. Ended up having to shove a bit ang shoved about 1K at 75/150 from button, had J4 not that it really matters. BB called with A4, hand is pretty standard again tbh.

Tournaments: 3
Cashes: 0
Total buyin: $13.50
Total Cashes: $0
ROI: 0%
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 17:56:00 PM by AAroddersAA »

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2012, 19:58:57 PM »
Other than the QQ hand, are these all zoom poker hands?

What is your fold to 3b stat?
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2012, 20:03:13 PM »

Other than the QQ hand, are these all zoom poker hands?

What is your fold to 3b stat?

They are all zoom including the QQ hand. Fold to 3-bet is 70.5%.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #578 on: November 02, 2012, 01:54:52 AM »
76s: Why would you consider 3 betting light has any value? I haven't played zoom though I did toy with rush poker where ranges were really tight given the immediate access to your next hand.

I'd like to hear your rational for barrelling the turn. Seems spewy to me tbh. I mean the second King changes nothing so say villain's preflop and flop calling range is something like 99+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+  (maybe even tighter), of that 57 combo's I'd expect JJ+,AKs,KQs,AKo, 29 combos to continue for sure and maybe even add 6 more combo's to account for when villain may get stubborn half the time with 99 & TT. So ~60% of the time you get looked up with ~8% equity.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #579 on: November 02, 2012, 15:08:56 PM »

76s: Why would you consider 3 betting light has any value? I haven't played zoom though I did toy with rush poker where ranges were really tight given the immediate access to your next hand.

I'd like to hear your rational for barrelling the turn. Seems spewy to me tbh. I mean the second King changes nothing so say villain's preflop and flop calling range is something like 99+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+  (maybe even tighter), of that 57 combo's I'd expect JJ+,AKs,KQs,AKo, 29 combos to continue for sure and maybe even add 6 more combo's to account for when villain may get stubborn half the time with 99 & TT. So ~60% of the time you get looked up with ~8% equity.

Zoom Poker does not play as tight as Rush used too when Rush first came out.

The three bet from the small blind might not be that great here and I think the calling range of people is slightly wider than you suggest, but not by a huge amount (I certainly don"t think it is tighter). There is not really an answer to your point though, the bet on the turn is just not that good.

I do think that some combos of AK probably raise on the flop and a few KQ do as well, so really don"t think that a king is as bigger part of his range as it might seem and I think the second king does make a king less likely (there maybe a few random Kings in his range as well that peeled the 3-bet). Unfortunately this is balanced out by the fact it makes hands like 99 and TT more likely to call so I agree with your point that you get called too often for this to be a good play.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #580 on: November 02, 2012, 20:05:38 PM »
Decided to try another 500 hands of Zoom Poker today, Seems to be quite

good for racking up the VPP"s.

Made a pretty awful start to be honest. Third hand I completely misplay

and make a bad steal attempt OTR.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664611

The PFR is fine obviously and the c-bet is not terrible even if it does

look like a c-bet on this flop. His calling range is likely to be middle

pairs maybe a hand including a 4 and something with a 5 slow playing,

maybe he has peeled with an Ace high type hand. The turn gives me a

gutshot so I check and miss the river makes him lot"s of full houses and

give his ace high hands a bit of value. I bet when he checks to me I am

most likely better of just giving up as I don"t get many folds here.

I quickly follow it up with this hand

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664612

This is not so bad as his calling range is weighted towards hands that

include a Jack or a nine and the turn card hits my range quite well

although it does make it less likely I have a flush. Don"t dislike the

way I play this one too much.

This hand though is just spew

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664613

Played backwards from start to finish got what it deserved.

I then win some small pots and lose some small pots and lose a medium pot

with TT. I Get some back when I 3-bet A4 of hearts from the BB to a SB

raise and flop two pair and win about $5 from his pocket eights.

I then win this hand but probably don"t play it as best as I can

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664618

Just wondering on that turn card if it is worth calling and then just

betting the river if he checks. I have a monster hand and he could have a

hand like JJ or QQ here although when he bet the turn with the sizing of

the bet I thought he had the King. The call on the turn gives him the

chance to bet the river with his air as well. I just thought there was

not much air left in his range at that point. Not sure on that one

raising and calling both may well be fine.

This one was nice and easy. Four bets here are strongly weighted towords

AA, KK and AK with a hand like QQ or JJ he is much more likely to call

and look for a safe flop. That is probably a leak in most players at this

level.

Then I play this hand

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664617

This is another one, do I leave value on the table. I think my hand is so

strong on this dry board that a bet folds out so much that can at least

pay a bet on the turn. If he has flopped a set I can stack him anyway and

the only hand that checking against is really bad is AK.

So I had brought it back to being in profit then these two hands

happened. I think I should lose less overall or at least egt more in on

the flop where he hits the flush.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664652
http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664653

Actually the second hand there I could lose less, or coudld I. Preflop is

fine. The flop is also fine on the turn I am wondering how many sixs he

actually as in his range that calls a raise. Looking at it now 88 just

seems very likely. Maybe call turn and call river is a better line. It

feels like he has 88 more than he has a 6 there. Maybe that is being

results orinated a little?

Daily Result: Down $17

Also played two 180 manners, didn"t cash in either.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #581 on: November 03, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
How many tables do you play Steve?

The K2 raise is somewhat spews when you can just early fold stuff like that and see possibly three more pairs of hole cards in the time you wait to raise and get yourself in a tricky spot postflop..

Love the 22 v AA hand for you though, he mangles it by that .10c bet on the flop.

67s another easy fold to a raise I"d suggest, you got away with it, but that"s not going to happen often enough to be profitable long term.

A8s hand - Definitely opening that from the button but fold or 4bet when he raises surely?

Meh - ignore as much of the above as you choose, my zoom play is characterised by getting stacked by set over set and running AA into KK or KK into AA and losing both ways....

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #582 on: November 03, 2012, 20:39:19 PM »

How many tables do you play Steve?

The K2 raise is somewhat spews when you can just early fold stuff like that and see possibly three more pairs of hole cards in the time you wait to raise and get yourself in a tricky spot postflop..

Love the 22 v AA hand for you though, he mangles it by that .10c bet on the flop.

67s another easy fold to a raise I"d suggest, you got away with it, but that"s not going to happen often enough to be profitable long term.

A8s hand - Definitely opening that from the button but fold or 4bet when he raises surely?

Meh - ignore as much of the above as you choose, my zoom play is characterised by getting stacked by set over set and running AA into KK or KK into AA and losing both ways....

1 table of Zoom usually or 4 standard tables, I can go to 2 Zoom or 8 normal though but would not normally do so as I am trying to get good player notes and reads that are a HUGE edge in Zoom.

The K2 hand may be bad (I actually don"t think it is that bad though).

The fact you can insta fold is not really relevant in my opinion. I would be raising the button there a lot in a normal game so I should not be fast folding. I reckon I am +EV on the button with most hands so I should be playing that hand. Players seem to play their hands pretty face up a lot of the time so we should be able to exploit the power of the button plenty.

The 67 hand is a fold pre

The A8 hand, as I said I am not sure that peeling the 3-bet is bad. Conventional wisdom would say it is a 4-bet or fold but I am not 100% convinced by that and with position there may be a way of making it profitable. I have been watching some of the big live games that include Ivey and Dawn and I notice they seem quite happy to raise/call with this kind of hand, maybe that has to do with stack size though? I need to do quite a bit of work on that kind of spot to be honest.

Definitely would never ignore your feedback though David, your record speaks for itself. Will we being seeing you in Stoke? If not I may heave to make an effort to make the trip to Stockton soon.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #583 on: November 03, 2012, 21:35:00 PM »
Had plans of doing various things today but then in was cold out and I couldn"t be bothered so I ended up staying at home and playing online. The downside of this is that I must be getting old, ten years ago the weather would not have kept me at home. The up side is that I got some good online volume in and got well ahead of my VPP points target. This is good as I am hoping to spend some time this month playing on Full Tilt.

OK so after a pretty bad day yesterday I was hoping to get a good start. I did get a good start when I flopped the nut straight against a smaller straight. Easy game.

Unfortunately I then decided to play this hand badly.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4664842

Preflop he is 3-betting a really small % of the time so I have time on AA or KK type of hand. I obviously call with the small pair and the flop comes down Ace high. He bets really weakly and this makes me think he most likely does not have the ace. So I raise and he calls. I have disregarded AA now as he should probably shove over a strong raise. I therefore fire out on the turn. I think he has KK now and that there is a decent chance I can get him to fold. He calls. This is a case of not knowing your opponent properly and again I get what my play deserves, quite annoying that that keeps happening *lol*.

As there sometimes is in Zoom I come across a lot of 3-betting. I make two attempts to 4-bet, in what looked like good spots, and get shoved on both times and have to fold. I basically spend ages doing nothing other than winning and losing tiny pots. I do notice it seems hard to get much through today.

Next hand of any interest is this one

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665572

I three bet from the button, I am having a lot of success with that at the moment. Pokerstars is rigged so I flop two pair. After that it is just a case of bet sizing correctly which was not that hard. When he check calls I have got him on some King hand. KQ, KT or a flush draw. I honestly though he was more likely to have the draw but although it missed the river I am last to speak so might as well bet and get paid off nicely. Is there much he can do? No I don"t think so, maybe my turn bet is strong but I doubt he can get away from it (fold to the 3-bet pre obv).

I then bleed some chips away in small pots, betting out on draws and missing (I still like that sort of play).

Did this http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665574

I should click it back if I am going to defend against the 3 bet not get involved in this sort of thing. Just folding is probably better.

I then go through another period of doing nothing for a while, won a flip when I got queen in on a low flop against AJ with a flush draw. Then a few c-bets don"t work and I drop it down again to near level. Not much happens and I take a break from the session about $4 up. Not really happy with how I played either too many mistakes and bets in the wrong spots and bad calls. I would give myself a - must do better grade.

Part two of the session

Get KK all in pre against TT and hold for a small pot. Played itself.

Then I did this

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665585

I have no idea what I am doing here. I should be checking the flop and as played giving up on the turn (even with the flush draw).

I get some back shortly after though when I get dealt AA and get three streets of value

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665586

So I am now down a little bit and I am not sure how well I was playing but I still felt like I should be doing well and that my game was good enough to win. I did have to make some small adjustments and tighten up but I decide not to leave the table. As it happens if I had been up at this stage I might have done and locked up the win. That must be a leak.

I then win a pot with TT when I check/call the turn and river on a Jack high flop. I had 3-bet pre and so there were not many jacks in his range.

Another hand follows shortly after this

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665587

No idea what is happening there. I had him on a worse Ace

Then this hand happened not long after

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/4665590

Is it OK to get it in with AK do people think here? I really don"t like it

The session finished with me winning more little pots than I lost for an overall day that looks like this

Hands: 1501
VP$IP: 24.01%
PFR: 21.22%
3-bet: 6.1%
Profit: $30.89

Overall I think I ran well and played OK but not great. Did enough so that I should be able to comfortably beat this level, it would not be good enough at $50nl on stars though which is the level I would like to be able to beat. I think that is going to become a goal for next year. Right now as I see it I can beat 10nl and 25nl on Pokerstars which is enough to be able to crush any 50p/£1 game in the country I am sure. Almost certainly good enough to beat $50nl on most other sites as well as I understand it but the game on Stars is the one I want to be able to beat. Right now I can"t so will have to work harder to be able to do that.

Leaks I must stop-

1) Don"t three bet marginal hand OOP
2) Don"t three bet marginal hand In Position ~100BB deep
3) Don"t call so light on the river so often - I am paying off too much

I played 2 180 manners for fun obvious I did not cash :-)

Might play an MTT session tomorrow and use some of those tickets I have as it is double vision.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 21:55:24 PM by AAroddersAA »

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #584 on: November 04, 2012, 14:57:49 PM »

1 table of Zoom usually or 4 standard tables, I can go to 2 Zoom or 8 normal though but would not normally do so as I am trying to get good player notes and reads that are a HUGE edge in Zoom.

The K2 hand may be bad (I actually don"t think it is that bad though).

The fact you can insta fold is not really relevant in my opinion. I would be raising the button there a lot in a normal game so I should not be fast folding. I reckon I am +EV on the button with most hands so I should be playing that hand. Players seem to play their hands pretty face up a lot of the time so we should be able to exploit the power of the button plenty.

The 67 hand is a fold pre

The A8 hand, as I said I am not sure that peeling the 3-bet is bad. Conventional wisdom would say it is a 4-bet or fold but I am not 100% convinced by that and with position there may be a way of making it profitable. I have been watching some of the big live games that include Ivey and Dawn and I notice they seem quite happy to raise/call with this kind of hand, maybe that has to do with stack size though? I need to do quite a bit of work on that kind of spot to be honest.

Definitely would never ignore your feedback though David, your record speaks for itself. Will we being seeing you in Stoke? If not I may heave to make an effort to make the trip to Stockton soon.

The point about the K2 hand is that whilst raising it in a standard game may be ok because we get the button once an orbit and maybe therefore only once every 5 or so minutes, in Zoom we get it much more often and can be more selective...

My "record" is very much over-rated. I"m a losing player online, and reaped the benefit of two very good spells of run-good in the DTD GPs.  One of the benefits is the upcoming trip to St Kitts from which I return on the Tuesday night before Stoke. Short of winning the ME over there I can"t see a way I"m going to get a pass out for Stoke.

Get up to Teesside soon