Author Topic: technolog's tales of domestic bliss, DIY & other nonsense  (Read 116374 times)

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
Re: technolog's poker Early Learning Centre and other nonsense
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »

I want to record my play or rather the results of it. Has anyone got a spreadsheet they could send me that would do the job? Failing that, what info should I a) be recording and b) be deriving/calculating?

Try THIS

+1 on this recommendation

This serves the purpose of recording anything you"re likely to need - it also can be exported as a csv, so if you ever want to manipulate the data you"ll have it ready for a spreadsheet.

I vaguely remember this from years ago. I think I may even have one setup already, obviously long lapsed.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
I had a look at my Hendon Mob diary. It has one entry from Dec "06 (just after I"d played my first APAT at Newcastle is Season 1 incidentally). I came 62nd of 86 :)

I might run this and a spreadsheet in tandem; the flexibility of my own spreadsheet against the security of the online resource. At least I assume it"s secure if they"ve kept that one tourney result for 4 years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 18:50:05 PM by technolog »

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
As is customary at this time of year in these blogs, some goals for the coming year.

Vegas in November with ChezGer for Ger jnr"s 21st

This isn"t so much a goal as a given. Hopefully it"ll turn into a de facto APAT adventure!

Do the Coast to Coast walk

Geo, Chipaccrual and I have this slated for Aug/Sep, timed to avoid the season 5 dates obv. A 200 mile stroll across the north of England through 3 national parks - can"t wait. Should be a brilliant laugh and I couldn"t wish for two better companions.

Play all the UK-based APATs

Be nice to pull some overseas ones in as well. This season is gonna be hard to beat in terms of results. Having got two bronzes this season I ought to be aiming to win one - well obviously I am - but it"s probably a bit unrealistic. I"d be happy to feature near the top of the rankings again and to make another final table.

Lead APAT Notts through another successful season

I"ve really enjoyed captaining Notts to back-to-back promotions and I hope the team league sticks around largely unaltered in season 5

Play a DTD £300 Deepstack Cash in a DTD £300 Deepstack

£300 is far too much for me to buy-in but I"ll try to satellite. First one tonight.

Get back down to 14st

And stay there give or take half a stone. I"m not too unfit at the moment but I"ll certainly need to regain a little fitness for the Coast to Coast.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 18:52:28 PM by technolog »

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
One thing I do and will continue to struggle with in my quest to improve at poker is a really, really bad memory.

By way of illustration, Petch & I were invited to a couple of home games over Christmas. At the latter one, I was charged with ordering the pizzas for everyone. As I"m all too aware of my memory issues, I got everyone to write down what they wanted and then rang it through. When the order arrived I was surprised to see it was a bit cheaper than expected. Unfortunately we were a pizza short. Yep, I"d forgotten to order my own :(

I struggle to remember my own cards through a hand let alone how the action has gone around the table. Does anyone else struggle with this? Are there any techniques I can employ to try and improve my recall?

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

One thing I do and will continue to struggle with in my quest to improve at poker is a really, really bad memory.

By way of illustration, Petch & I were invited to a couple of home games over Christmas. At the latter one, I was charged with ordering the pizzas for everyone. As I"m all too aware of my memory issues, I got everyone to write down what they wanted and then rang it through. When the order arrived I was surprised to see it was a bit cheaper than expected. Unfortunately we were a pizza short. Yep, I"d forgotten to order my own :(

I struggle to remember my own cards through a hand let alone how the action has gone around the table. Does anyone else struggle with this? Are there any techniques I can employ to try and improve my recall?

in general try to get out of thinking/convincing yourself that u have a bad memory, imho u"ll find it hard to stay motivated in improving your memory with the negative belief that u have a bad one :)
as to improving it, there are various ways that i know of, improved fitness which helps u stay alert and if the quacks are correct then it helps guard against memory loss as u get older :).. improving your diet is claimed to help, don"t play when stressed out over something or another, its harder to concentrate, hmmm things to do like puzzles or challenging oneself to learn a new skill like playing an instrument is advocated by some to help memory.. sleep springs to mind, helps not being tired when playing :), being focused takes effort so never let up or let your concentration lapse... errr theres books that say association by pictures in your mind helps... u seem to have your head screwed on, if u want to improve it then you"ll find a way i"m sure...
good luck sir..........

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 13:31:22 PM »
Practice improves memory

Specific practice to improve specific memory

You have to decide what details you want to remember then every game repeat those details in your head three times to lock it in.

Once that gets easy you add the next thing to remember.

I find the key to making the most of a bad memory is to only remember specific details and to have a specific idea of what I can do with that information.

Other stuff like Noble says is true as well, but I"ve been working on my stud game specifically and that"s how I"ve approached the memory aspect of that.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 19:13:54 PM »
Nintendo Brain training ftw.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 19:45:04 PM »

in general try to get out of thinking/convincing yourself that u have a bad memory, imho u"ll find it hard to stay motivated in improving your memory with the negative belief that u have a bad one :)
as to improving it, there are various ways that i know of, improved fitness which helps u stay alert and if the quacks are correct then it helps guard against memory loss as u get older :).. improving your diet is claimed to help, don"t play when stressed out over something or another, its harder to concentrate, hmmm things to do like puzzles or challenging oneself to learn a new skill like playing an instrument is advocated by some to help memory.. sleep springs to mind, helps not being tired when playing :), being focused takes effort so never let up or let your concentration lapse... errr theres books that say association by pictures in your mind helps... u seem to have your head screwed on, if u want to improve it then you"ll find a way i"m sure...
good luck sir..........

Strangely, I have a brilliant memory for some things. Phone numbers, once they"re in, are hard to shift. Also part numbers in my job as a design engineer seem to stick worryingly well. Sadly.

My fitness isn"t too bad atm and my diet can"t be far short of exemplary i.e. lots of fruit & veg, lots of omega 3 in regular mackerel salads, very little junk food, very little beer, at least not on a regular basis.

I never get stressed. I live on my own :) Well, with my mate Petch who isn"t a source of stress at all.

Sleep could be an issue. I only have 5 or 6 hours generally but it"s good quality stuff. Zonked straight away and don"t stir before the alarm. Also very rarely nod off in the evenings so must be getting enough. Sleep.

Looks like I just need to concentrate more then :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 19:47:36 PM by technolog »

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 19:51:28 PM »

Practice improves memory

Specific practice to improve specific memory

You have to decide what details you want to remember then every game repeat those details in your head three times to lock it in.

Once that gets easy you add the next thing to remember.

I find the key to making the most of a bad memory is to only remember specific details and to have a specific idea of what I can do with that information.

Other stuff like Noble says is true as well, but I"ve been working on my stud game specifically and that"s how I"ve approached the memory aspect of that.

So what snippet do you think I"d be best trying to memorise for a start?

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 19:53:08 PM »

That"s on the DS, yes?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 20:06:21 PM »
I"ve been working on stud so the most important thing to get to grips with was remembering discards. I built that up from remembering when cards related to my cards were discarded (things to complete straights, flushes and obv. cards to hit pairs and trips - that"s about 6 steps btw) to remembering the "other stuff" as well - i.e. think about what you could take notice of, decide what you could do with that information and work out what"s important to how you play

Bet sizing could be a good place to start, lots of people don"t vary that

That"s on the DS, yes?

Brain Training in general has been studied, they"ve given people Brain Training tests and similar related tests.

They"ve followed the Brain Training, then they"ve been retested.

Everybody does better in the Brain Training tests but nobody does better in the related tests.

i.e. Brain Training makes you better at Brain Training

Generally keeping active (physically and mentally) will generally improve your health (physical and mental), but when you start doing specific exercises you are only getting better in those specific things. That"s why working out ways to test yourself in a poker environment is probably the more efficient way to go
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 00:37:33 AM »

Play a DTD £300 Deepstack

£300 is far too much for me to buy-in but I"ll try to satellite. First one tonight.

That"s one goal sorted then!

I might be rubbish & not know what I"m doing but ffs, I must be doing summat right

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 00:40:25 AM »

Play a DTD £300 Deepstack

That"s one goal sorted then!

I might be rubbish & not know what I"m doing but ffs, I must be doing summat right

See, this blog thing focuses the mind.  Nice one Jack.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »
By the way, I"ve never posted hands before so if I"m missing some info please let me know.

The second hand. Same satellite, down to 2 tables, about 14 left. Ish. I can"t remember, lol.

1000.00/2000.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit )
Hand started: 03 January 2011 22:06:55
DUSK 300 5 SEATS RB (Real /Tournament )
Seat 3: whatacatch (23692.00)
Seat 4: para1977 (17422.00)
Seat 5: 6Street (17945.00)
Seat 6: xtechnolog (39114.00)
Seat 8: leeson1 (14952.00)
Seat 10: eggyhead (20062.00)
whatacatch Ante 200.00
para1977 Ante 200.00
6Street Ante 200.00
xtechnolog Ante 200.00