Author Topic: What a lot of balls!  (Read 20658 times)

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
What a lot of balls!
« on: January 09, 2011, 14:19:33 PM »
Disclaimer: this is a non-poker related thread, if you are here for Poker, read the title, agree, then leave - thank you.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: What a lot of balls!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 14:21:02 PM »
oooh - stocking fridge and in here for the long haul

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 14:29:02 PM »
what this post going 2 be about i hope its not 8BALLpool

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 14:31:18 PM »
OK, I need a challenge.

I have not made any new years resolutions as like most people I don"t keep them so why bother. I could be seen jumping on the blog bandwagon but I actually have one of those on here and gave up on that ages ago (must try harder). So if there is a name for a "non poker related sort of blog thingy about goal setting that isn"t a new year resolution" then please let me know.

The challenge I have set myself is to be able to juggle 5 balls by the end of the year. [please  - no jokes about testicles]

I have read that learning to juggle 3 balls takes 1 day, 4 takes 1 month and 5 takes 1 year. So I feel having learnt 3 in 1 day then 1 year is a realistic goal for 5.

I will post more later about why I want to do this (other than being a bit insane!) but for now I would like some motivation. A prop bet or 2 is a possibility but the amount of time I need to put into this means that money isn"t going to help me that much as I could make more on other things. Suggestions welcome.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 14:39:55 PM »
Q1. Have you already mastered 4 then (as per facebook) and how long did it take

Q2. Are you completely mental

I have a couple of suggestions for forfeits and will be refining them for the general public later

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 14:40:56 PM »
Where"s the popcorn can"t wait for more
Mary Kivlin

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 14:43:46 PM »
Videos to map progress please.  We the "jury" will allocate marks as appropriate.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 14:48:07 PM »
"As you probably know, the basic 5 ball pattern is the cascade; i.e. the same as the basic 3 ball pattern. So what makes it so much harder than 3 balls? The obvious answer is that it is faster, but that"s really only half the story. The other half is that your throws have to be much more accurate. Because there can be two balls in the same path in the air at the same time, a low throw followed by a high throw will cause two balls to come down at the same time-- disaster.

The two effects, the speed and accuracy requirements, feed off one another to make the pattern quite difficult, at first, anyway. The speed of the pattern makes it difficult to make accurate throws, and conversely, an inaccurate throw will put even greater demands on your speed. A throw to the wrong height will have one ball coming down too soon after another, while a throw which is off to the right, left, front, or back will require additional hand movement which eats up time.

All of these problems, however, are based on the interplay of the same two elements-- the speed and accuracy requirements of the 5 ball cascade."

So it requires speed, dexterity, accuracy, commitment, patience and perfect delivery .. GGWP

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 15:31:26 PM »

Q1. Have you already mastered 4 then (as per facebook) and how long did it take

Q2. Are you completely mental

I have a couple of suggestions for forfeits and will be refining them for the general public later

A1. No, haven"t even "mastered" 3. Can do a basic 4 ball "flash" (more on that later) but that"s about all.

A2. Quite possibly.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 15:35:42 PM »

Videos to map progress please.  We the "jury" will allocate marks as appropriate.

Des, will you buy me a drink when I complete this challenge?

I think I may have just found my motivation.  ;D

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 15:57:54 PM »
Of course I will Stuart. 

...just check my diary....

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 16:21:29 PM »

Des, will you buy me a drink when I complete this challenge?

I think I may have just found my motivation.  ;D

Prop bet suggestion -

A live performance at 2012 Team event.  At what ever stage you are at.  If you do it, then you get the drink of Des too!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 16:27:58 PM »

Where"s the popcorn can"t wait for more

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 16:28:39 PM »
Gotta be for longer than 30 seconds though - just to be sure can"t have Des buying drinks for nowt ya know

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 16:42:29 PM »

Gotta be for longer than 30 seconds though - just to be sure can"t have Des buying drinks for nowt ya know

I think I would need 2 years for that. 30 seconds of 5 ball juggling is a long time.

It would be good to have a clearer definition though. Perhaps by number of catches rather than time?

Anyway, after initial study on youtube I am not encouraged by seeing a 9 year old do it. OK, so he then went on to break several world records but even so, he was 9 FFS!