Author Topic: A Fish and his Chips  (Read 167976 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: A Fish and his Chips
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »
Just finished watching BBC"s Horizon - What is Reality ? on the iPlayer.

I got recommended it by a friend, and it doesn"t disappoint.  If you"re into the why"s, how"s and where"s of world and universe, then it"s worth an hour of your time.

I love the fact that there are so many scientists around the world that get funding to spend years and years in research, looking for things that may or may not exist, but someone suggested that it might, so they"ve got to prove it.

One of the suggestions is that the whole universe boils down to mathematics.  At that point, I felt that we were all living in "The Matrix".

I"m not sure what I believe, but spend too much time thinking about it has got to screw you up ?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:23:13 PM by Chipaccrual »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 18:45:30 PM »
Looks good got it on TV now.

Edit - yeah it was good. What is your opinion on it?

Are there alternate realities or is the universe just what it is (ie - we are all here by accident and what we do does not matter)? How does this affect the other great cosmic questions such as where did we come from and where are we going? Does it effect them at all?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 20:10:13 PM by AAroddersAA »
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 22:59:45 PM »
Forum avatar changed ready for next weekend.    :D

Still trying to tie up some loose ends though.

Can Oriol make it over from Barcelona for the CofC and Champs Team ?

Do I drive straight up to Bolton, or maybe arrange a Thursday night poker game midway ?

Can Betfair get the markets up in time for this weekend ?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 23:04:24 PM »

Are there alternate realities or is the universe just what it is (ie - we are all here by accident and what we do does not matter)? How does this affect the other great cosmic questions such as where did we come from and where are we going? Does it effect them at all?

We are all photographic recordings of the patterns of interference between coherent light reflected from the object of interest, and light that comes directly from the same source. When this image is illuminated from behind by coherent light, a three-dimensional image of the object appears. The characteristic of a hypothetically perfect hologram is that all its content is contained in any finite part of itself.

My thought process before going all in actually......

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 23:10:15 PM »

Looks good got it on TV now.

Edit - yeah it was good. What is your opinion on it?

The whole thing leaves you asking more question than you get answers.

I loved the comment that was "Anyone who says they get quantum physics, really doesn"t get it at all"

Without these thinkers and scientists though, nothing would get discovered or understood.

The two slit experiment was weird.  It produces three lines of light, until you put sensors to monitor the protons, and then they produced two lines as you expected.  That really messed with my head.

Is the moon there when you aren"t looking at it ?   I don"t know.

There was an episode of QI the other week that had a question about the sun setting.  They showed a video of a sunset and asked when the sunset.  One of the guys buzzed once the sun had disappeared below the horizon.

As is the case with QI, they were wrong.  The sun sets at the point the bottom of it makes contact with the horizon.  This is due to the earths contours and refraction or something, so the sun has actually set, but you can still see it.  Confused ?  Yep, but who actually works this stuff out ?

I like the suggestion that it"s all to do with mathematics, but that then suggests the world is logical and conforms, which does beg the question about random acts.  (Which could bring me onto a Derren Brown programme I saw the other night, but I only caught the end of it, so need to see it all before I comment)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 23:11:11 PM »

We are all photographic recordings of the patterns of interference between coherent light reflected from the object of interest, and light that comes directly from the same source. When this image is illuminated from behind by coherent light, a three-dimensional image of the object appears. The characteristic of a hypothetically perfect hologram is that all its content is contained in any finite part of itself.

My thought process before going all in actually......

What he said.   ;D

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 23:22:04 PM »
Respect to Dusk Til Dawn, they"ve sold out the Grand Prix this weekend.  Good luck to everyone playing and to Rob, Simon, Nick and the team.  I"m sure it will be the usual success.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »

Respect to Dusk Til Dawn, they"ve sold out the Grand Prix this weekend.  Good luck to everyone playing and to Rob, Simon, Nick and the team.  I"m sure it will be the usual success.

I am SURE you told me it wouldnt be sold out :p
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2011, 15:49:42 PM »

I like the suggestion that it"s all to do with mathematics, but that then suggests the world is logical and conforms, which does beg the question about random acts.

"The algorithmic randomness of many real numbers is unavoidable. This reinforces the idea arising from "experimental mathematics" that randomness is as fundamental and as pervasive in pure mathematics as it is in theoretical physics."

If that helps at all  ;)
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2011, 18:33:12 PM »

I like the suggestion that it"s all to do with mathematics, but that then suggests the world is logical and conforms, which does beg the question about random acts.

"The algorithmic randomness of many real numbers is unavoidable. This reinforces the idea arising from "experimental mathematics" that randomness is as fundamental and as pervasive in pure mathematics as it is in theoretical physics."

If that helps at all  ;)

Clears it up nicely.  Thanks.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »
Was looking on the forum when the Mrs was watching over my shoulder (got to be more carful) when she said "who's this Chipaccrual? He must have a good taste in music"    :D

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 19:12:32 PM »
I see we are a team in the Forum Live Challenge tonight! Good luck!

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 20:06:48 PM »

I see we are a team in the Forum Live Challenge tonight! Good luck!

Good luck sir, hopefully one of us can take it down.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2011, 21:04:07 PM »
Made the break in both tonight

Horse Steak

12/127 - 6.8k - Ave 3.8k

Betfair Forum Team Thingy

1/43 - 9.3k - Ave 2.4k (Got my team mate on my table now.  Keep it going Mark)