Author Topic: A Fish and his Chips  (Read 166472 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: A Fish and his Chips
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »

Lol at the hot-o-meter. Trick is to put some money in the slot first...

You around for a chat this evening?

I"m in, phone whenever.

I"ll be playing Take on Tikay.  It"s a similar game to Where"s Wally ?

Played a few of these, and never found myself on his table yet.  I"m sure they just use his name to draw you into the tournament.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »

Legally, they can't do anything about you parking in a private car park.

When the clamping crew were about, that was a serious problem, as you don't want your car to be clamped, but receiving an invoice after the event, well it would appear that just ignoring will suffice.

I think it"s classed, at worst, as "Trespass" which is, AFAIK, a civil, not criminal, offence.

Kind of like doing a runner from a taxi...unless he catches you there is nothing he can do except track you down if he can and take you to court.

In practice the costs in doing so outweigh any amount they might recover.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

Legally, they can't do anything about you parking in a private car park.

When the clamping crew were about, that was a serious problem, as you don't want your car to be clamped, but receiving an invoice after the event, well it would appear that just ignoring will suffice.

I think it"s classed, at worst, as "Trespass" which is, AFAIK, a civil, not criminal, offence.

Kind of like doing a runner from a taxi...unless he catches you there is nothing he can do except track you down if he can and take you to court.

In practice the costs in doing so outweigh any amount they might recover.

That"s the general situation.  Quite laughable really.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2011, 13:01:59 PM »

Season 5 preview!

can we listen in please?

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2011, 13:07:19 PM »

Season 5 preview!

can we listen in please?

I heard they was getting the cameras set up and broadcasting it live on APAT TV.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2011, 13:57:48 PM »
Finally managed to have a chat with Des last night.

Blimey, he"s been a busy man.  He"s managed to get some work negotiating in Egypt.  Apparantely, his first efforts at speech writing have gone down a storm, so much so, that they have asked him to send out his first born for a holiday in the area.  That man is golden, whatever he turns his hand to, just oozes success.

As for the rest of my day, technology is supposed to save me time, FAIL.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2011, 17:02:53 PM »
:)

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2011, 18:32:53 PM »
phone broken?

not answering calls?

give me a shout after the weekend please, not urgent

or when you bust betfair Live at 3.01pm tomorrow

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2011, 18:37:26 PM »

phone broken?

Unfortunately yes

not answering calls?

If only

give me a shout after the weekend please, not urgent

or when you bust betfair Live at 3.01pm tomorrow

It starts at 2pm, I"d take 61 minutes play.   ;D

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2011, 20:33:57 PM »
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2011, 20:40:04 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/5fwux5

Already am, but appreciate the link.

Phone is back up and working after disabling the 3G connectivity.  Not sure if it is a Southampton problem or a handset problem, but off to Londonium for the weekend, so will find out.

And Vodafone have chucked me a tenner goodwill gesture for my troubles and will phone me back next week to see if I have any further info to resolve a problem that they may or may not have, but either way are denying.

;D

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2011, 22:58:43 PM »
Betfair Poker London Live!

The Fox Poker Club

Very impressed with the club on the whole.  It's located within a 3 minute walk of Leicester Square and can comfortably hold 170 runners for a tournament.  It has a small bar (Which would require restocking if Chezger ever attended), along with a small gaming area with a dozen slots and some electronic roulette.

Dealers, valets and staff were excellent, and on the Sunday they had the day two of the main event, a 70 runner turbo event and also their usual 7pm evening tournament, along with a number of cash tables.  All went smoothly.

Day One

My starting table saw me sat with Willie Tann and The Klup from the Betfair Poker Forum.  I'm not sure which one I was more scared of.  Little of much interest in the early stages.  Got upto 12k, then got involved in a pot with AQ in the big blind.  The button has raised, I've flat called and the flop has comes QT5.  I bet out, called.  Turn is a 3, I bet out, called.  River is a 7, I bet, he reraises.  I've put in about 5k into the pot so far, but have a bad feeling about it, and eventually fold.  He shows QT.

I then get my first bit of luck of the weekend, playing JT suited, I manage to get my 6.5k stack allin on a Jack high flop, only to find the other player has AQ.  Hmmm, only one thing for it, bink a ten on teh river, back upto 14k, and the table breaks.

New table, don't recognise anyone.  Greek player in seat two is busy sports betting on his laptop, and eventually I find out that the German player called Alex to my left is very good friends with one of the German players from the APAT team event.  He saw the APAT logo, and asked about it.  Isn't it a small world ?

I get dealt aces on this table, Greek sports bettor has limped UTD with blinds at 200/400.  He's been a limp calling station for the past hour, so I think I might be in business here.  I raise it upto 2k, and to my astonishment, it folds all the way round.  Picked up 1k, but really, sigh, am I that obvious ?

Then came the next major hand.  Pocket fours in mid position, blinds are 300/600 and there are 5 limpers to a flop of T64 (2 hearts).  Our Greek Sports Bettor who limped UTG (Now there's a surprise), makes it 5k to go.  I've got 14k back, and with the two hearts on the boards decide that I'll take my bottom set against a flush draw, but don't fancy too many getting involved, so I shove.  It fold back round to our Greek Sports betting friend, who dwells for ages and eventually makes the call, leaving himself about 4k back.  He's got 6s 5s.  I have to look at it twice to make sure I'm not imagining it.  The table look shocked, but the runner runners required don't materialise, and I'm upto 32k.

And we're on the move again.  Move onto Bob Bulman's table.  Five minutes later and I'm saying goodbye to Bob, as he departs.  Then comes two hands on the bounce.

Dealt Kh Th, UTG raises, and I call.  Flop comes down queen high,t wo clubs.  UTG bets out for 2k, I reraise to 6.5k.  Eventually he folds, and shows AK.  I don't show, but Ian Thompson is behind me and whilst he's saying nice play, I tell him what hand I have, which the other player hears.

Next hand, and I'm dealt Kh Th again.  I raise it up and the same player, now in the big blind makes the call.  The flop is T63, he checks, I bet out, and he goes allin for about 15k.  I'm pretty sure he's tilting a bit from the last hand, he's probably got me on two overs, and I make the call.  I'm up against J6, and my KT holds, and I'm upto nearly 60k.

On the move again and I go through a phase of playing hands against shortstacks.  First one costs me 15k.  Button raise, and I have A6 in the big blind, I'm sure my ace is good and call.  He's got J7 and spikes a jack on the flop.  I then win a race with pocket tens against ace king, and then call another allin with pocket tens again and am up against pocket nines that I"m pretty sure belonged to Dave Butler.

Just at that time, Richard Baker joins the table.  But, I'm on the move again as tables need balancing.

Really don't like my new table, three large stacks to my left, but we are getting down to the cash, so sat on 75k, and happy to see it through to a redraw.  We hit thirty players, and Rich Baker joins this table.  I raise it up  with As4s into Rich's big blind.  It folds round, and he shoves for about 18k.  I'm sure my ace is good, and make the call.  He has KQ, and my ace stays good.  I'm upto just over 100k, but feeling a bit bad about knocking Rich out.

The bubble seemed to burst quite quickly and we were down to 26 players and in the money.  Joining me were fellow APATers, Louis Manson and Debbie Kimm.  Spent a bit of time chatting with Debbie and Ian Matthews afterwards.  Proper nice people, and was so made up for Debbie to have cashed, she was really proud of herself, it's only her 3rd or 4th big live event.

Headed back to my hotel via Subway for a sandwich, whilst dodging the merriment of a Saturday night around Trafalgar Square.  What joys.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:33:14 AM by Chipaccrual »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2011, 23:02:08 PM »
Day Two

With no chipstacks posted, I had no real idea what position I was in, but had comfortably more than average stack, so was happy with that.  The table redraw was kind to me in my opinion.  A couple of similar stacks, but then a number of below average stacks and a couple of real short ones.

On this table I got my next bit of luck.  I'm on the big blind with A7 and the button shoves allin.  He's been quite an active player, and has had his chips in the middle a few times already.  I've just got this feeling that he's doing it with any two cards, and my ace is good.  I'm not saying it's the right decision to make from a strategy point of view, but I just felt he was at it.  His stack was 48k, I had around 100k.  I make the call, and my read was complete and total rubbish.  He's got AQ.  Well played Leigh, just fold it next time. 

The flop brings a 7, which holds and the other player departs quoting how I like my raggy aces as he'd seen the hand with Rich Baker from the night before.  I went with my gut feel, got it wrong and got lucky.  It happens. 

We're down to 20 players and I'm on the move again.  Not so sure about my position on this table.  I'm sat in seat three and between seats 1-4 we have approximately 800k of the 1.7m in play.  It's like this half of the table is ganging up on the other six.  I don't get involved in much, mostly because there are few unopened pots, and because the player to my left has a nasty tendency to play back at me, and I just don't know where I am with him. 

We get down to 13 players and eventually lose the deadstack from the other table which means I'm on the move again, and find myself to the left of Louis Manson.

Two to go until the final table, and I'm sat on 150k.  Little to report for a bit, then I get dealt AQ.  There's been a min raise UTG, which I felt was a bit strange, he's playing about 100k, blinds are 4k/8k.  I've played very little for a bit, but his body language makes me feel he's not that strong.  I go allin.  He thinks for a while, then makes the call and shows KJos. 

My read was right, but he wasn't supposed to call.  He might hit.  He did hit.  A Jack on the river, I'm down to 48k. 

My mind is racing with should I , could I, but I'm playing to win this thing, so I've got to be happy he's calling there.
A few hands later  and I'm in the small blind and shove with K7, which the loose aggressive big blind calls instantly with A4.  I hit and get a double up.  Got lucky again, but wish I'd not got unlucky with the previous hand.

Then came the TT v TT v AQ allin, with a fourth player waking up with AA.  The aces were good, how often can you say that when aces have three allins to go with them.  And we're on the final table.

Final Table

I start the final table with 100k and aiming to get it in at every opportunity and really go for the win.  The best two hands I see are pocket ten (I raise it up, get no action), and pocket fives (I got a walk).  Eventually, I'm playing with a 70k stack.  Blinds are 5k/10k, I'm in the big blind with J9, it folds round to the small blind, who does his usual aggressive allin shove.  I just can't bring myself to make the call and take a chance.

Next orbit and the two big stacks (UTG, UTG+1) have folded.  I have A7 and shove for my total worth of 65k, passive player to my left with a similar stack insta shoves allin.  They say timing is everything, and I may have got this one very wrong. 

He has pocket nines and I don't bink the ace that everyone else seems to get, and I'm out in 6th place for £1600, which is my biggest live win to date.

Overall, I think I had my fair share of luck during the weekend, mixed with an equal amount of hands go against me, but live event number one of the year and I'm comfortably in profit.  Roll on Sky Poker Tour at Luton in March.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:35:21 AM by Chipaccrual »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2011, 23:13:55 PM »
Well done and a nice little earner.