Author Topic: A Fish and his Chips  (Read 167932 times)

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
Re: A Fish and his Chips
« Reply #540 on: February 06, 2012, 17:54:32 PM »
Too true mate, nice read ;)
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #541 on: February 06, 2012, 17:57:29 PM »
Well done Leigh, that"s a good article.  
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #542 on: February 13, 2012, 17:15:30 PM »

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2012, 17:41:14 PM »
Great post.  Focus is key :)
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

mattyd86

« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2012, 23:02:09 PM »
Sick "Matty is a nit" brag.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #545 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
Would be interesting to see what mine are, I never check my stats plus I don't keep a record, just my bank balance at the end of the year   ;)

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #546 on: February 14, 2012, 16:23:16 PM »
i dont do any thing i just play cards then complaine silly realy cos i dont take it seriously enough //im gone to have i little rethink tku lee/ just needed 2 c this cheers/got me thinking

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #547 on: February 15, 2012, 23:35:51 PM »
It was only last Sunday night after my usual night on PokerStars (sponsors of the APAT National Online League for Season 6, in case you didn"t know) that I was browsing through my OPR stats and considered posting on my blog. But now you"ve done this I"d feel like I was a copycat!!

Ive been on PokerStars for four years and my results graphs and charts would probably have you in "Nerd Heaven"...

Feel free to post mine, I can give you a background to my playing styles over the years to help you (and others) comment on my hugely varied results in each year!!

If you don"t I"ll just post them on my massively inferior blog.  :(
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #548 on: February 15, 2012, 23:47:20 PM »
Post them up on your blog and we can discuss on there

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #549 on: February 16, 2012, 00:09:24 AM »
Mine make very silly reading, but I am still having fun

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #550 on: February 16, 2012, 00:11:12 AM »

Mine make very silly reading, but I am still having fun

lol just looked em up - 2007 & 2009 looked like good years

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #551 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
Q: When is a country not a country ?

And the answer is........

When it"s a region.

This, however, is not the real question that has kicked off a debate in the last 24 hours on the forum.

There has been a lot of conflicting posts regarding the launch of the new National Online League.  A lot of accusations of players being negative about the announcement, petty squabbles and cliques.

This isn"t good for anyone, especially any potential sponsors who may be reading from the shadows to see what they might be getting for their money.  Rather than post on those threads, I thought I would move my thoughts to this blog, which to be honest is never going to get read by anyone who matters in the poker industry.

From what I can see, no one has posted anything negative about APAT, Pokerstars or the hard work and planning that goes into making this work.  There have been discussions around a few areas :-

• The new rule of enforcing the team you play for to match your location

• The potential finishing time, which will be driven by the start time, structure and number of runners

Both of those points above have the potential to reduce the number of games in the 15 week series that some players will choose or be able to play.  Therefore, any discussion around improving what is already a great looking league to enable more players to play more of the games can only be a good thing.

It is a case of trying to please all of the people all of the time and that is something that got me constantly into a spin during my time with APAT, because although the old saying states that this is not possible, trust me, it is something that everyone involved with APAT really does try to achieve.  And that can"t be said of many organisations.

Unfortunately as with any discussion, everyone piles in.  Many often are unaffected by the decisions, yet they will add fuel to any potential fires.  That"s just the world that we live in, but people need to see through that and see what is really being discussed.

It"s not about Nationalism or trying to build a super team.  Nor is it about finding an angle to improve your chances of the added value, it"s about wanting to maximise the opportunity for as many people to play for the team that they want to, with a structure that means they are not worried about getting up for work the following morning, which means that they want to come back and play again the following week, and then the week after that , and then the week after that.

This is what will benefit the players the most.  Lots of players playing means Pokerstars are happy, which means APAT can look to get an even better deal for the next league.  Surely that benefits everyone.

On a final point, having been involved in running these league for two years, along with organising a number of smaller mini leagues in my spare time during the off season, I like to think that I have a small idea as to what makes a good team.

In no particular order, a team will be successful if it has a proactive captain who messages players, responds to players, sets up a facebook group, promotes the games.  Behind this, you need a core of players that support the captain by playing most weeks and contributing to the promoting and recruiting of players.  Numbers are important to a certain extent in this type of league, but just being in the largest geographical region doesn"t mean a thing if you sit back and just expect people to play.

The only negative comments I have read over the past day have been the queue of people looking to "shout down" those trying to have a discussion.  This is not what APAT is about, but if you really feel the need to flame away, why not do it on this blog instead of the League threads or Facebook, and maybe we can have a sensible discussion about it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:04:23 AM by Chipaccrual »

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #552 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »

The only negative comments I have read over the past day have been the queue of people looking to "shout down" those trying to have a discussion. 

After I posted on Ger"s blog and then mine I read recent posts and find this. I hope you don"t mind but I"m stealing this quote as it sums up how I feel about it.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #553 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »

The only negative comments I have read over the past day have been the queue of people looking to "shout down" those trying to have a discussion. 

After I posted on Ger"s blog and then mine I read recent posts and find this. I hope you don"t mind but I"m stealing this quote as it sums up how I feel about it.

All yours.  Trust me, I know how you feel.  But it will pass.  Des will have another announcement next week, that"s assuming he"s not been scared off after yesterday.   ;D

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #554 on: February 17, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Morning gents!!!

had a chance to re read all of last nights crazyness through the fog of my hangover this morning, and in my opinion (from someone onj the other side of the fence so to speak) you were both perfectly reasonable in your posts.

others were certainly not.

I hope i wasnt seen as being rude to people, i think there was one bit where i looked dismissive a bit, but i apologised for that at the time. I DID feel that there was one person (arguing FOR the scottish nationalists :p) who was very very rude indeed, and he was the reasson i stopped posting on that thread, as i would probably have ended up saying something not at all helpful (shock horror i know :p)

England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013