Author Topic: A Fish and his Chips  (Read 166525 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: A Fish and his Chips
« Reply #615 on: March 05, 2012, 19:27:39 PM »
Scream if you want to go faster

The latest trend coming out of PokerStars HQ seems to be an increased guarantee on more and more turbo tournaments.  Following on from the successful Turbo Championship of Online Poker (TCOOP) which now appears to sit alongside the other annual series of the SCOOP and WCOOP, PokerStars today announced a regular schedule of daily turbo tournaments with increased guarantees.

The Hot Turbos consist of 13 daily tournaments ranging from a 55c buyin right up to a $109 buyin.  Staggered through the day from 7:30am (GMT) to the early hours of the morning, the guarantees on these tournaments should prove very popular with those players looking for more of a quick fix.  Unlike most of the PokerStars turbo events, late registration appears to be a full 60 minutes, meaning you could join with your 3000 stack to blinds at 150/300/40.

Full Schedule

Tournament               Buy In       Time (GMT)   Guaranteed Prize Pool
The Hot $109 $109 7:30$10,000
The Hot $2.20 $2.20 9:30$4,000
The Hot $3.30 $3.30 11:30$6,000
The Hot $4.40 $4.40 12:30$8,000
The Hot $33 $33 15:30$10,000
The Hot $11 $11 17:30$25,000
The Hot $16.50 $16.50 18:30 $25,000
The Hot $75 $75 19:30$30,000
The Hot $55 $55 20:15$20,000
The Hot $0.55 $0.55 21:45$2,500
The Hot $44 $44 23:30$25,000
The Hot $5.50 $5.50 00:45$5,000
The Hot $22 $22 03:45$10,000

The connoisseurs of skilled poker amongst us will probably turn their noses up at the continuing increase in the turbo or hyper-turbo offerings, but there is clearly a demand for these structures.  Players seem content to forgo a level of skill to gain a potential return in a shorter space of time and I'm sure somewhere down the line will come the HTCOOP.

A number of sites have offered coinflip satellites for some time where each player is allin every hand.  I've never really understood the point of them, you may aswell try and spin up your buyin at the roulette table.  Although the rake is significantly reduced in these quickened up tournaments, surely we are all playing poker to, well, actually play some poker.

I'm sure the Hot Turbos will achieve their guarantees and I'm sure you will find me playing a number of them when I've some time to spare.

And if I do take one down, I'll tell you it was all down to skill, judgement and poker ability.

Believe that if you will.  :D

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #616 on: March 29, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
How is the garden coming along? with all the all the good weather we have had, must have helped (need some pics)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #617 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »

How is the garden coming along? with all the all the good weather we have had, must have helped (need some pics)

Got loads of stuff done and plenty of pics.  I"ve been holding off blogging because the server problems had put me on tilt lately, but looks like Des has stocked up on 50p"s for the meter now, so will get some updates on here over the next few days.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #618 on: May 18, 2012, 14:22:14 PM »
Grow Your Own 4

It's Good Friday, so what else would you expect me to be doing other than building a compost area for the bottom of our garden.  Specifications received from Jen, and off to work I go.  A few hours later, and here you have it.

A double compartment design allows for annual rotation of the compost (Apparentely), but I'm in a weird way quite proud of my carpentry skills.

Still trying to work out what exactly you can put onto it, but Jen is following the guidelines from an Alan Titchmarsh book, so we can hardly go wrong now can we ?

The Grow Your Own stuff is coming together quite nicely, and I've got a bunch of new photos that I will stick on a blog post next week.

I might actually get back to playing some poker soon.  This weekend is the APAT Coventry tourney, first one of the season.  Still a bit weird not being involved, but I'm really hoping to get along to a few events this year.  The only trouble is that they all seem to clash with Bank Holidays, Birthdays or are just that bit to far/expensive to travel for.  Actually, the last one is not really an excuse, as an APAT weekend is far far more about the people than it is the poker for me, and I know many others feel the same.

Need to get my live poker diary filled.  Watch this space.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #619 on: May 18, 2012, 14:24:58 PM »
Was the a forum delay in posting that?  It"s Good Friday, and Coventry is coming up...?

Nice looking planter btw

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #620 on: May 18, 2012, 14:25:53 PM »
Grow Your Own 5

As promised, here's an update on the veg plot.  Still no poker news ?    I'm working on it.

A few baby broccoli stems showing through

Peas, Caulifowers and Mange Tout.  That's right, Mange Tout Rodney, Mange Tout.

Blueberry plant and Raspberry plant doing very nicely in tubs.  Not sure if they will give any fruit this year, we can but hope.

Strawberry plants starting to flower.  I have high hopes for these little beauties.  Bring on Wimbledon fortnight !!!!

And even though April is supposed to be the month of sunshine and showers, we've managed to get through some ridiculous weather, including a few days of hailstorms.

That was the ice build up on the window sill of my office.  Ridiculous.  Looks like I run as well at veg growing as I do at poker, which should mean I will strike lucky against all odds and be harvesting a great crop through luck rather than judgement.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #621 on: May 18, 2012, 14:26:15 PM »

Was the a forum delay in posting that?  It"s Good Friday, and Coventry is coming up...?

Nice looking planter btw

Just catching up from elsewhere.   ;)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #622 on: May 18, 2012, 14:27:49 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 14:39:44 PM by Chipaccrual »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #623 on: May 18, 2012, 14:29:47 PM »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #624 on: May 18, 2012, 14:35:10 PM »

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #625 on: May 18, 2012, 14:45:13 PM »
Top result that Leigh, well done!!!

On a side note, whats your thoughts on Ole Solskajearereajerjaerjaaaererer having talks on being Villa boss?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #626 on: May 18, 2012, 14:57:08 PM »

On a side note, whats your thoughts on Ole Solskajearereajerjaerjaaaererer having talks on being Villa boss?

A copy and paste of my Facebook thoughts on the subject earlier today :-

This would be a massive risk. Not for Villa, but definitely for Ole. He"s built up a great reputation coaching at United and then taking Molde to a title and Champs League football. Does he really want to risk all that for what is a very average job at Villa ? Might be a stepping stone to greater things, but with the support that recent Villa managers have had, he could be left wanting.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #627 on: May 18, 2012, 15:01:41 PM »

This would be a massive risk. Not for Villa, but definitely for Ole. He"s built up a great reputation coaching at United and then taking Molde to a title and Champs League football. Does he really want to risk all that for what is a very average job at Villa ? Might be a stepping stone to greater things, but with the support that recent Villa managers have had, he could be left wanting.

Very good points.

Could be worse though, he could be talking to Liverpool...
England C Captain 2012

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2012, 15:14:04 PM »

Very good points.

He"d never go there.  As Chris Peers pointed out of my FB thread, could easily see him with the top job at Old Trafford in years to come.  He"s around 10/1 to be next manager.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2012, 15:28:40 PM »

Very good points.

He"d never go there.  As Chris Peers pointed out of my FB thread, could easily see him with the top job at Old Trafford in years to come.  He"s around 10/1 to be next manager.

Is that not being a bit sentimental?

Surely there will be better candidates than him about when old Red nose decides to bow out? United should be going for established managers with proven records, Ole doesnt have that really, yes he has done a good job at his current place, but then thats not exactly a top league is it?

I would say he SHOULD be coming over here, taking over a mid table team and doing a good job with them before moving on.

Personnally think David Moyes would be a cracking choice of manager for United next up. He has proven himself for years with a below average club in Everton and done far beyond what he really should have been able to. Tough man, like Sir Alex, obviously good with motivation and tactics.

If Solskjaer does well at a club before hand then yes, by all means, but at the minute, he needs to cut his teeth first.
England C Captain 2012