Author Topic: A Fish and his Chips  (Read 168200 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: A Fish and his Chips
« Reply #630 on: May 18, 2012, 15:37:19 PM »
Can"t argue with any of that, although I don"t think Moyes has enough European experience to get the job at the moment.

Still think Mourinho will be the next United manager.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #631 on: May 18, 2012, 15:41:34 PM »
agree on the special one.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #632 on: May 18, 2012, 15:56:51 PM »
Its just impossible to predict what Mourinho will do, it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see him at Man U. But then it would surprise me to see him stay at Real Madrid. Or turn up at Man City either.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #633 on: May 18, 2012, 16:00:16 PM »

Its just impossible to predict what Mourinho will do, it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see him at Man U. But then it would surprise me to see him stay at Real Madrid. Or turn up at Man City either.

His ego needs to manage Man United.  Whenever Fergie decides to pack in, I reckon one phonecall and Mourinho would drop wherever he happened to be.

He"s got the respect of Fergie, and although a lot of United fans didn"t think much of him to start with, I reckon he would be top of most United fans wishlist for a new manager.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #634 on: May 18, 2012, 16:07:41 PM »

His ego needs to manage Man United.  Whenever Fergie decides to pack in, I reckon one phonecall and Mourinho would drop wherever he happened to be.

He"s got the respect of Fergie, and although a lot of United fans didn"t think much of him to start with, I reckon he would be top of most United fans wishlist for a new manager.

So he should be, and i reckon if city win stuff until Fergie quits and United haent won much then that would definately appeal to his ego!! Good call that is Leigh.

He should be top of EVERY teams wish list IMO. I love him, the way he makes his players want to walk through walls for him on the pitch says it all for me. Possibly the best man manager in the business?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #635 on: May 18, 2012, 17:06:44 PM »
Nice bankroll boost Leigh, very well done mate  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #636 on: May 18, 2012, 18:59:58 PM »
Mourinho is such a bad fit for Manchester United. Negative, ego-overloaded, just, no.

Moyes is a better fit, but Solskjaer with some more experience... Legend at the club and always been a thinker.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #637 on: May 18, 2012, 19:41:47 PM »
TBH I hate to say it but I think Moysey is a shoe in for the job when Rudolph packs in!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

mousebob

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #638 on: June 07, 2012, 15:15:40 PM »
Just looking to to how the young Percy Thrower was getting on & I see the gardening going great but the poker doing even better Leigh. N1.
The compost bin looks like it cost a vast amount. Very profressional.
Hope the weather isn"t damaging your crops too much, it"s been a terrible year so far.
Will be digging SPUDS soon!
Gl with that chipleader tourney..........
The harder I work,
The luckier I get.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #639 on: June 07, 2012, 15:20:48 PM »

Just looking to to how the young Percy Thrower was getting on & I see the gardening going great but the poker doing even better Leigh. N1.
The compost bin looks like it cost a vast amount. Very profressional.
Hope the weather isn"t damaging your crops too much, it"s been a terrible year so far.
Will be digging SPUDS soon!
Gl with that chipleader tourney..........

Thanks Bob.  Your post reminded me that I really should update my blog on here.   ;D

Compost bin was just some timber and my time and effort, so looks far more than it cost.  Does the job a treat though.   ;)

Veggies are going well.  Peas and Mange Tout have grown ridiculously quicker than we thought.  Got about a dozen courgettes coming through.  Broccoli and Cauliflower looking good, and I picked the first Strawberry yesterday morning, and very tasty it was too.

All change on the Chipleader tourney, I"ll copy and paste that update next.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2012, 15:22:44 PM »

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #641 on: June 07, 2012, 15:42:23 PM »
Oh yes, I should think so...
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #642 on: June 07, 2012, 23:17:32 PM »
Where"s the masive big "Thumbs Up" icon when you need one. Absolutely Leigh, get in there and go for it  ;)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #643 on: June 08, 2012, 00:01:31 AM »
more importantly - top spreadsheeting here. We"ve missed quality arrays like this

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=11317.0

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #644 on: June 11, 2012, 13:43:33 PM »
Not Mushroom On The Veg Patch

We"ve been getting a lot of wild mushrooms growing around the edge of the veg plots lately.  I removed one this morning that had grown in around 24-48 hrs and was nearly 20cm tall, and that was in the enclosed raised bed.

This got me thinking as to how mushrooms grow.  Thanks to google, here"s the educational bit.

An Explanation: The intent of this post is to produce an understandable explanation and outline of the natural reproduction process of mushrooms. Included with the text is a glossary which should define some of the difficult terminology.

A Quick Analogy: A spore is much like a seed. It contains all of the genetic information that will grow and produce the fruit of the mushroom. The mushroom is the sex organ of the mushroom that will produce spores or "seeds".

The Definition: A spore is a nearly microscopic, sometimes single-celled reproductive body that is extremely resistant to desiccation and heat and is capable of growing into a new organism, produced especially by certain bacteria, fungi, algae, and nonflowering plants.

Mycelial Reproduction: When spores germinate (reproduce) a thread emerges from the spore casing. When two threads from different spore bodies intersect, they attempt to mate through a hook and clamp connection. A tiny pipe is opened between threads and genetic material is exchanged. The genetically complete threads become hyphae and begin to grow.

Spores have four combinations of sexes. Not all intersecting threads are able to mate. Not all matings will produce fertile mycelia.

Spores form as swellings on one or more subtending hypha in the soil or in roots. These structures contain lipids, cytoplasm and many nuclei. Spores usually develop thick walls with more than one layer and can function as propagules. Spores may be aggregated into groups called sporocarps. Sporocarps may contain specialized hyphae and can be encased in an outer layer (peridium). Spores apparently form when nutrients are remobilised from roots where associations are senescing. They function as storage structures, resting stages and propagules. Spores may form specialized germination structures, or hyphae may emerge through the subtending hyphae or grow directly through the wall.

A single spore contains a half set of chromosomes (known as haploid), much like any reproductive cell (ova or sperm). The spore has a protein sheath (the colored part that we can see) which encases the cell. When optimal conditions surround the spore, it will germinate. This is when it pushes its cellular mass through the protein sheath (at the germ pore) by expansion from re-absorbed water. This mass is a fine filament called the monokaryote (aka: the primary mycelium). It still has a half set of chromosomes. This monokaryote grows (still a single cell with a single nucleus) until it finds a compatible monokaryote to mate with. It does this by touching and dissolving its cell wall while the mate does the same. They effectively just merge to become one cell with 2 nuclei.

A Related Quote: "Asymmetric genome shuffling involves a fusion between a dikaryotic protoplast and a monokaryotic protoplast. Because only the cytoplasm of the monokaryon is inherited by the progeny, and one of either of the haplotypes of the dikaryon migrates into the progeny, the monokaryon is called a"recipient" and the dikaryon is called a "donor." Accordingly, the resulting fused dikaryotic progenies are heterokaryotic, but their cytoplasm is of the recipient monokaryon." (Tan)

Though the clamp connection serves a different function.

This is where things get strange. After the mating, the resultant cell can now reproduce by mitosis, but the cell still has 2 nuclei, as mentioned. So, when it mitoses, the 2 nuclei split for a total of 4 nuclei, but still only 2 cells. Speed of growth is much greater in these dikaryotic mycelial threads, because they don"t have to stretch a single cell over a long gap. They simply split into more cells to spread.

Clamp connections form between 2 dikaryotic mycelial masses. This is how one of those little fuzzy white patches (aka mycelium) mates with the other white patches. The dikaryotic mycelia "clamps" together. Thus, reproduction is complete.

Courtesy of www.shroomery.org

Ahhhh, the old hook and clamp connection.   ;D