Author Topic: Anybody read BARRY GREENSTEIN BOOK ace on the river  (Read 3810 times)

2make1whole

Anybody read BARRY GREENSTEIN BOOK ace on the river
« on: December 05, 2007, 20:22:08 PM »
hi has anybody read ACE ON THE RIVER  ad1WHATS IT LIKE PLEASE

IM GETTING SOME HARRINGTON FOR XMAS TO READ

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Anybody read BARRY GREENSTEIN BOOK ace on the river
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 21:21:49 PM »
It"s a decent enough book.  Not a poker "manual" though - but an interesting read.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:49:48 AM »
currently reading it, some good advice in it but its more about lifestyle habits and bankroll management then what hands to play, am enjoying it tho. What other books have people read and reccomend? ive read harringtons 1 and 2 and thought both were good along with Scott Fischmans Online Ace which i really liked. Also Brunsons Online poker which was awful, please dont buy that.  What are slanskys books like, they are next on my list once i get the points together on stars :)

Philippos13

• Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »
i ve got slanskys tournament advice for advanced players but i think there is nothing new , original or advanced on what it has to say....everybody speaks about slanskys theory of poker but i havent read that...i suppose that should be better but def do not get tournament  advice one...
i recently read a book called the pshychology of poker but some guy called schoo...something cant remeber the name by hard .... but i thought the book was really good as it does not give you the usual advice that everybody knows allready but a different perspective of the game and how to look at the game...
really intresting read
as far as tournament advice is concerned u cannot go wrong with harrington...

has anyone read any hellmuth books? are they any good or just out there to make money?
Phil Paps

BioBlinx

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:45:10 AM »
Hellmuth"s books are AWFUL in my opinion. Really bad.

Sklansky"s books are so detailed that they"re deffinately a recommended read. The theory of poker is a really deep read. It can be a bit tough. It doesnt use hand examples that we"re used to with Harrington. It also draws examples from all the games, stud, razz, etc, so sometimes its a little tough to apply to hold em. But if you have the time to study it and really read through it then it will deffinately help your game.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 13:18:07 PM »
To be honest im not sure its that easy for hellmuth to put into words the way he plays, he doesnt play the same way as most out there and i  think a lot of his game is on tells both physical and  betting patterns. He seems to lay down hands that many wouldnt.. example when he layed down ak v aa after either an ace high or king high flop came. I think hes only written books maybe because he has been pushed into it or to make money but im not a huge fan of play like the pros