Author Topic: Cricket World Cup  (Read 4367 times)

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Cricket World Cup
« on: February 18, 2011, 17:03:12 PM »
Who's on what?

I have put a bit on South A (good value)

I want England to win but can't see it

Sri Lanka and India have a very good chance. Australia no chance

For an outsider how about Pakistan?  (I know we beat them today)  

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
Re: Cricket World Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 00:18:17 AM »
Its going to be about which country gets their key players in form for the quarter finals (4 qualify from a group of 7).  It may come down to playing 3 good games in a row to win it. 

Can"t have the Aussies (despite their record in the world cup) without a class spinner and dodgy batting.

India & Sri Lanka are solid in these conditions and have plenty of match winners in their sides.  Both are certs for the semis at least.

Bangladesh should go well in the home conditions and may spring a surprise (despite being in a much tougher group) to reach the knockout stages (probably at the expense of the Windies, who I don"t like either).

Pakistan are so inconsistent but can beat anyone on their day and have the easy group.

England should go well with key players being spared the one day circus at the end of the ashes (Broad is back firing and Swann is on his way, also love Pietersen opening the batting).

South Africa are interesting.  Bags of talent and depth but always seem to "choke" when the pressure is on.  Tahir is an attacking selection and may be the wildcard for them.

New Zealand are in very poor form and are very lucky to be in the easier of the two groups.

The rest are far from making up the numbers (Ireland & Zimbabwe are capable of big performances) and I expect at least one shock result before the end of the world cup.

From a betting point of view;

Sri Lanka to win the world cup @ 9/2

Top Batsman
Amla @ 14/1
Pietersen @ 25/1
Jayawardene @ 28/1

Top Bowler
Harbhajan Singh @ 22/1
Tahir @ 33/1
Ajmal @ 40/1

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:01:26 AM »
Good write up Thinker....totally agree with Sri Lanka winning it, their batting is best in the comp IMO...

Only had a bet in the top batsmen market (Sri Lanka were a little too short for me, keeping funds for Cheltenham ;))

Dilshaan  @ 29
Pietersen @ 24
Misbar Ul Hak @ 85

Really did think Dilshaan would be among the first 5 in betting, he is so consistent, really think he is overpriced, but agree with thinker on all 3 of top batters.

As far as the top wicket-taker is concerned, it"s not a market i like to bet on, its not necessarily the best bowler, therefore i feel there is a lot of luck involved.

Good luck in your bets everyone.

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:08:06 AM »
just seen that Misbah batted at 7 today.... batted at 5 the other day when he scored a century

not looking good for that bet then!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »

Can"t have the Aussies (despite their record in the world cup) without a class spinner and dodgy batting.

Did they not win the last 2 world cups without a class spinner?

not disagreeing with you...just saying.

Sri Lanka for me.

India will choke at home. S Africa look a good outside bet.

What price England to not make the QFs?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 19:22:25 PM »

Did they not win the last 2 world cups without a class spinner?

Different conditions this time round.  Flat tracks, runs galore and I think you will see the most effective bowlers being the world class spinners (step forward Swann, Harbhajan, Murali, Vettori).  Don"t see Steve Smith being anything like as effective.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 19:26:12 PM »

Sri Lanka for me.

India will choke at home. S Africa look a good outside bet.

What price England to not make the QFs?

Agree with Sri Lanka Rob, lots of pressure on India so they may not be up to handling it.  South Africa are solid but hardly an outside bet as 3rd favourites.

After watching England in the field against the dutch today, India might pile on 400+ on Sunday...

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 20:31:24 PM »
Yes I agree about the fielding was really poor today given what we have come to expect over the past few months.

I"ve got a sneaky feeling that New Zealand are going to go very well here. They have a very long batting line up, are well used to the pressure with a host of seasoned campaigners, very little expectancy or pressure on them and whilst I accept that their bowling is not as potent as some, they will have fire in their bellies after the sad news in Christchurch today.

You heard it here first.

Therefore NZ FTW.....TID Boys (assuming England don"t of course!!!!)
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 21:49:14 PM »

I"ve got a sneaky feeling that New Zealand are going to go very well here.

They will have to improve on recent performances.  Bangladesh thrashed them then Pakistan thrashed them.  Vettori is stepping down as captain and their players are always getting injured.

I hope they do well but I fancy that Zimbabwe may give them a game, as they are weak against spin, so they may struggle even in the weaker of the 2 groups.

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 18:18:56 PM »

Good write up Thinker....totally agree with Sri Lanka winning it, their batting is best in the comp IMO...

Only had a bet in the top batsmen market (Sri Lanka were a little too short for me, keeping funds for Cheltenham ;))

Dilshaan  @ 29
Pietersen @ 24
Misbar Ul Hak @ 85

Really did think Dilshaan would be among the first 5 in betting, he is so consistent, really think he is overpriced, but agree with thinker on all 3 of top batters.

As far as the top wicket-taker is concerned, it"s not a market i like to bet on, its not necessarily the best bowler, therefore i feel there is a lot of luck involved.

Good luck in your bets everyone.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!