Author Topic: NORFOLK 'N' GOOD  (Read 68534 times)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
NORFOLK 'N' GOOD
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »
Welcome to yet another blog........

This one won"t be all about poker though. It"ll be all about the exciting boring bits on the days when if anything good (or bad, or funny) ever happens!!

So, let me start by telling you a little about myself:

• I was born in Liverpool but never lived there.

• I spent the first 3 months of my life in Alder Hey Hospital. Alder Hey was retaining patients organs without parental consent between 1988-1995, which was brought to light during a public inquiry in 1999. Although my father is pretty convinced they removed a brain somewhere between June and September of 1971.

• I moved to Norfolk in 1977/8 with my parents due to my fathers new job!

• I raced motorbikes from the age of 9-13

• I"ve worked in the same job for the last 18 years!

• I have the occasional OCD moment!

My main interests besides poker are snooker, pool, going out and drinking. The majority of my posts on this blog will include these subjects. Here"s a quick summary of my success/failures so far:

Poker
Been playing for at least 8 years!
Played in 3 APAT events so far:
LUTON 2009 - finished 26th
NOTTINGHAM 2009 - finished badly
LUTON 2010 - finished 3rd

Snooker
Been playing for 25 years (coaching 10 years):
Highest Break - 136
Norfolk Singles - Runner-up in 1997/8

POOL
This is really just an opportunity to go out drinking with the lads! However I have managed to win the league singles competition a couple of times.

GOING OUT
Our local pub has regular bands playing and you can"t beat live music. This is also a good chance to partake in my next subject too.....

DRINKING
Cider/Vodka "n" lemonade

More to follow.......
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: NORFOLK 'N' GOOD
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
 ;D I was in a karaoke "band" in the 90"s called "Norfolk n Good" that ruined horribly songs and brought terror joy to the masses around Stockton .. good times :)

Good luck with the blog look forward to reading.
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:30:53 PM by thinsy147 »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 14:29:32 PM »
good start with the blog

whilst you are correct that calling off your stack on the bubble is bad, limping in pre is even worse. Just fold there, doesn"t matter that the short stack only has <2BB. You are easily exploited by the large stack when you limp.

shoving is better than limping here.

keep up the good work with the blog
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 14:51:54 PM »
In this situation, with a guy with last than 2xBB, I"m insta folding TJo in this spot. In fact I fold it so vehemently, I"m in danger of putting my forefinger right through the top of my mouse!

Even shoving in this spot is really bad - if we assume the big stack folds, the shortstack has to call his last 100 chips, and we are going to win the hand 55% of the time (TJo vs random hand). For the 45% of the time that we lose, we double him up and close the gap between us as shortstacks, and are in the BB next hand.     If the BB wakes up with a hand, and calls anything in the top 15% of his range, the shorty rubs his hands in glee and folds, and we are a 30% dog to bust out.

With such a shortstack in play, there is very little point us entering the hand with anything worse than top 5% - we risk our entire tournament equity, when it"s highly likely that folding here will get us into the money. If the shorty happens to double up, or the BB gives him a walk, we still have distance between our stack and the short stack.

If our seat positions were different, and we had the big stack on our right, we can shove over the shorty SB v BB every time..... but it just isn"t worth taking the risk of shoving through the big stack here. If our stack and the short stack are closer, or if we have fold equity over the shortstack (ie he has enough chips to fold), then shoving here is ok - but definitely not in the specific example.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 16:34:54 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on this situation. My thinking is that if both the bigger stacks check it down then both have a better chance of securing the money spots (two chances of him getting beat)! But it seems not everyone is as nice as me and willing to check it down.

Derren Brown Review to follow................. SOON!!!!!!!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 16:45:39 PM »
I think if you are a big stack and your hand has any value, then checking down is a major leak - so as a mid stack, I would not be expecting any favours from the nig stack
Rob, you are a genius.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 23:30:24 PM »
Oi stop this blog immediately. its already about a thousand times more interesting than my dredge through tedious stats and iffy heavy metal videos. This county is only big enough for one blog   ::)
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 16:53:51 PM »
GOING OUT

DERREN BROWN - 13/4/2011

It seems that there are two types of people. Ones who say Who"s he? and the others who say Oh, wow... He"s amazing! Well, I am definately one of the latter but, you watch his shows on TV (at least I do!) and think "Yeah, BUT" And you could convince yourself that with all the editing possibilities these days you can make the show look good.... Let me tell you, his show lasted about 2 1/2 hours and everything was perfect. I don"t care whether he does it through cheating, lying, mind control or whatever... the bloke is a GENIUS!

I would love to tell you all what happened but Derren demanded that we don"t and, to be honest, seeing what he IS capable of I daren"t tell you!!!! HE WOULD KNOW!!  ;D

All I would say is:

If he"s coming to a theatre near you.... GO AND SEE HIM!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 17:14:35 PM »
Been to see him and he is awesome. But he also ordered a camcorder from my web site which unfortunately was out of stock........ you"d have thought he"d have known! :)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 18:02:39 PM »

Been to see him and he is awesome. But he also ordered a camcorder from my web site which unfortunately was out of stock........ you"d have thought he"d have known! :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
this made me LOL hard.

There are no such things as psychics but there are people who are experts in the human mind and the way they display these skills would make for a great show, I"d imagine.

I may even go myself if I get the chance.

Rob, you are a genius.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »
I can"t imagine anyone on this site not enjoying an evening with Derren Brown.

Mind games, body language, mis-direction, deception..... Sounds very similar to a game of poker doesn"t it?  ;D

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 13:31:24 PM »
I am a big Derren Brown fan.

Seen him live twice, read the book, watched the TV series etc etc.

The thing is I know how to do most of the stuff he does, what makes him so entertaining is that he executes it perfectly and also mixes many different techniques into one. Sometimes when he is doing something you think is amazing mind control its actually a really simple trick. Other times you think hes doing something simple and its taken years of dedicated practice to perfect.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 14:13:49 PM »
Snooker

Tomorrow is the start of the 2011 Bedfred.com World Snooker Championship in Sheffield. The 17 day event will start, as always, with the defending champion"s opening match. So Neil Robertson, the "Thunder from Down Under" will begin at 10am on Saturday.

Throughout the tournament I will be making my predictions and sharing my thoughts for each round:

Round 1

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump
This is a tasty start to the championship, the defending champion up against the winner of the previous tournament (China Open). I think this could go either way but I"m going for Neil to win although it will probably be a close scoreline (10-8)

Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett
Jamie isn"t having the best of seasons so this is probably the best draw he could have wished for. Andrew is a good player but it is his first televised appearance and, of course, his first time at the Crucible so nerves will play a big part (as it does with most first time appearancees). Jamie to win (10-4)

Ali Carter v Dave Harrold
Dave is a hardened and experienced match player but I think Ali is good at taking it in his stride and will be a reasonably comfortable winner. Ali to win (10-5)

Mark Williams v Ryan Day
Another exciting match this. Mark has recently found form and dragged his ranking up from around 40 two years ago to a comfortable top 4 spot. Saying that, Ryan performed fantastically well against Ronnie O"Sullivan earlier in the season and showed some real promise. A close match I think with Mark coming out a close winner. Mark to win (10-9)

Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell
Shaun always comes out to win. It"s what you turn up for! I can"t see Marcus creating too much trouble here. Shaun to win (10-4)

Ding JunHui v Jamie Burnett
Ding is a strong contender for the title and usually performs a good solid performance, so another convincing win here I feel. Ding to win (10-3)

Stephen Hendry v Joe Perry
I see this as the first non-seeded player to take a victory. Stephen is struggling with consistency and this competition is all about consistency. Joe to win (10-7)

Stephen Maguire v Barry Hawkins
This is likely to be a fairly agressive match but I can only see one winner. Stephen to win (10-7)

Ronnie O"Sullivan v Dominic Dale
How can I predict this? Not even Ronnie can predict which "Ronnie" will turn up!! However, the only way I can see Dominic winning is if Ronnie doesn"t turn up at all. I"m going to hope a good Ronnie arrives and produces a speedy win. Ronnie to win (10-2)

Peter Ebdon v Stuart Bingham
My second prediction of a seeded player upset is in this match. Don"t think it will be exciting though! Stuart to win (10-8)

Marco Fu v Martin Gould
Martin had a wonderful time at the Crucible last year (until he let a 11-5 lead slip and eventually lose to Neil Robertson 13-12. These scars may hinder his performance. Marco to win (10-6)

Ricky Walden v Rory McLeod
Rory is a solid and steady "journey man" player and it will all come down to how much Ricky wants to win... He usually does want to! Ricky to win (10-8)

Graeme Dott v Mark King
Graeme has had a tough season where as Mark is producing good results. I think it"s Graemes match to lose... And he will! Mark to win (10-6)

Mark Allen v Matthew Stevens
Mark is another player who is having an uneventful season. Matthew on the other hand is on the same path as his fellow countryman (Mark Williams) and self confidence will be high. Matthew to win (10-8)

John Higgins v Stephen Lee
This match should be a good one. Both players are showing great form and determination. But the best man will win! John to win (10-6)

Mark Selby v Jimmy Robertson
Along with Andrew Pagett, Jimmy is entering new and undiscovered territory. Unfortunately for him he"s got one of the toughest match players around today and will be punished if he lets the gaze of the lights shine too long! Mark to win (10-3)

Now lets wait and see if I"m good at this prediction thing!!  ;D

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
Snooker

Thanks for the huge response to my snooker predictions!!!!  ::)

I guess there"s not too many snooker fans here... Well, I"ll carry on regardless  :P

So, we"re half way through the first round and I have successfully predicted five winners out of the eight matches played, although I haven"t predicted a correct scoreline (I did get one scoreline right, just the wrong winner!).

Results so far:

Judd Trump beat Neil Robertson (10-8)
Jamie Cope beat Andrew Pagett (10-7)
Ali Carter beat Dave Harrold (10-3)
Mark Williams beat Ryan Day (10-5)
Shaun Murphy beat Marcus Campbell (10-1)
Ding Junhui beat Jamie Burnett (10-2)
Stephen Hendry beat Joe Perry (10-9)
Barry Hawkins beat Stephen Maguire (10-9)

More to follow............................ (sorry)