Author Topic: NORFOLK 'N' GOOD  (Read 68516 times)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
Re: NORFOLK 'N' GOOD
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2012, 00:46:26 AM »
OMG OPR Statistics

It was only several hours before Chipaccrual posted on his blog about his OPR statistics that I was looking at mine too (probably more like "great nerds" as opposed to "great minds). Some of the figures tend to be a bit confusing. One in particular is the OPR rating and rank. Are these just "gimikey" or do they mean anything?

Does a rating of +90% mean your really good? Is being ranked in the top 6% of their ranking system mean you have a talent?

I"ve been playing on PokerStars since 2009 and have very varied results in this time. There is probably reasons for this due to work/social/married life, and I"ll break this down over the next few weeks (hopefully). Firstly I will post my overall results since I started in 2009. Feel free to comment on what standard of player you would consider me given the statistics available (don"t worry about offending me, I"m probably too thick to let it bother me):

My Results            Standard
Early               10%                   (10%)
EM                 23%                   (20%)
Mid.               37%                   (40%)
ML                 21%                   (20%)
Late                 9%                   (10%)

MTT                              ROI        ITM          ITM%
Multi Table 11-45        -15%    4/47        9%
Multi Table 46-180        7%    31/291     11%
Multi Table 181-         -63%   10/75       13%
OVERALL                      -9%    45/413     11%

(You think these stats are bad? Wait until you see it broken down!)

(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2012, 23:59:36 PM »
£5.50 feeder into a qualifier for a GPS Tour Seat:

So, I"m down to the final 5 with 3 seats up for grabs. I am chip leader with aprox 24K in chips (55K in play).

I"m dealt 88 and raise 3x to 1.5K, it folds round to the shortstack on the BB with about 7K who shoves. I call:

88 v J9: J on the flop

Now with about 17K I raise 3x again to 1.5K in the SB with AT (folded round to me) BB shoves with about 8K, I call:

AT v KQ: K on the flop

Now the short stack I shove with A2 and get called by the BB:

A2 v KJ: Flop 933, Turn 9, River K

The question is, should I have sat back and waited for two players to lose? Could I or should I have folded any of these hands? Or do I just put them down to variance?

(fortunately I bagged a £55 ticket the other night, so I still have a chance of winning a seat)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 00:01:53 AM by thinsy147 »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 00:38:33 AM »
this is pretty terrible sattelite play from you here col (apart from the last hand)

you have a seat locked up, so you should only really be targetting the midstacks, better still target no one and fold into the seats. You should not be risking anything where you are most likely flipping in the first hand.

make your opening raises smaller as well in the later stages. 2 - 2.5x will normally do the trick

If this was a normal tourney then all the hands are pretty standard (though I just shove the second one in the SB)
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply Rob. It did cross my mind to do nothing but its difficult... Would you really fold 88?

I"m slowly learning, I think!
My online game seems to be coming on pretty good, I"m even having good runs in the huge field tournaments.
The feeders into satellites are generally going good too. I just hope I can turn one of these satellite games into a live seat one day soon.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:07 AM »

£5.50 feeder into a qualifier for a GPS Tour Seat:

So, I"m down to the final 5 with 3 seats up for grabs. I am chip leader with aprox 24K in chips (55K in play).

I"m dealt 88 and raise 3x to 1.5K, it folds round to the shortstack on the BB with about 7K who shoves. I call:

88 v J9: J on the flop

Now with about 17K I raise 3x again to 1.5K in the SB with AT (folded round to me) BB shoves with about 8K, I call:

AT v KQ: K on the flop

Now the short stack I shove with A2 and get called by the BB:

A2 v KJ: Flop 933, Turn 9, River K

The question is, should I have sat back and waited for two players to lose? Could I or should I have folded any of these hands? Or do I just put them down to variance?

(fortunately I bagged a £55 ticket the other night, so I still have a chance of winning a seat)

Stack sizes would help but it seems a great spot for you to bubble abuse the hell outta the other 4 players. No need to 3x raise though, I"d likely open min raise a wide range and expect to take down lots of pots preflop. The key to this strategy is to bet small and often but fold to a reraise with all but the strongest of hands.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »

Would you really fold 88?

with a short stack in the BB, I would probably open fold (or maybe raise fold) and open fold a lot better at this stage.

I wouldn"t describe myself as an expert satty player but as the big stack if 5 with 3 seats, you have to view your position as  "seat locked up" so therefore you can"t improve, you can only do worse. For this reason its probably correct to fold every hand (inc KK and AA)
Rob, you are a genius.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2012, 01:29:04 AM »
O.P.R. Rankings

Ok, back to my OPR stats which you were all keen to comment on  ::)

I have broken down my results into seperate years to compare the ITM% and ROI% for each year:

2009:  ITM 19%    ROI -16% (my best year for ITM but made no profit. Is this due to bad BR management?)
2010:  ITM 11%    ROI -18% (pretty similar to 2009, I guess both these years can be classed as "Year of the Fish")
2011:  ITM  9%    ROI   -2% (my worst ITM% but only a small loss made... Surely this means the BRM is under control)
2012:  ITM 11%   ROI    6% (looks like 2012 might be my year!)

Last 120 days:   ITM 13%  ROI 10%   8)

Is there anything I"m not considering that I should?

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2012, 01:38:27 AM »

Stack sizes would help but it seems a great spot for you to bubble abuse the hell outta the other 4 players. No need to 3x raise though, I"d likely open min raise a wide range and expect to take down lots of pots preflop. The key to this strategy is to bet small and often but fold to a reraise with all but the strongest of hands.

I managed to build my stack through agressive play, making 2x raises. It got to the point where my min-raises were getting called, I started to increase my raises to make calling a harder decision for them, and it was working!

Are you disagreeing with Rob"s strategy? (I"m not trying to start a fight! Lol)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

Would you really fold 88?

with a short stack in the BB, I would probably open fold (or maybe raise fold) and open fold a lot better at this stage.

I wouldn"t describe myself as an expert satty player but as the big stack if 5 with 3 seats, you have to view your position as  "seat locked up" so therefore you can"t improve, you can only do worse. For this reason its probably correct to fold every hand (inc KK and AA)

I did try this once before at this stage but got caught out by losing too many blinds/antes, thus becoming an average stack and forced to play hands! I think it was just unfortunate that the short stack kept doubling up and no-one went out.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
Don"t think we disagree. I didn"t know the stack sizes. If you have a huge chip advantage then Brendans strat is partly correct. The trouble is, if you keep on raise folding then the table are going to pick up on this and your raises become pointless as villains know you aren"t going to stack off

If doubling up a short stack puts you back in midfield, then folding your entire range works too.
Rob, you are a genius.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2012, 02:09:09 AM »

I managed to build my stack through agressive play, making 2x raises. It got to the point where my min-raises were getting called, I started to increase my raises to make calling a harder decision for them, and it was working!

Are you disagreeing with Rob"s strategy? (I"m not trying to start a fight! Lol)

I did mention that stack sizes would help and maybe I was wrong to assume that the precise scenario was one where you had 50% of the chips in play and the other 4 all had 15 bb stacks.

The strategy I proposed for that situation was predicated on the assumption that you had lots of FE when you min raise pre because the other 4 players should be in a folding war. You now add new info that suggests they are calling lite so it kinda renders that option incorrect.

Either way Rob makes a good point, because of the payout structure the chips you risk are far more valuable than the chips you gain. That is exactly why you should have buckets of fold equity because when the shorties get involved with you they risk lots of equity for very little gain, even doubling up will only show a small equity gain unless it is versus another shorty.

Folding everything into a ticket is defo +EV, exploiting players who fold too much is even more +EV and a lot of fun ;D ;D ;D, raising light versus players who call too much is not exploiting.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:13:47 AM by TheSnapper »
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »
Thanks for you input guys. Having thought about things a bit more I have come to the following conclusion:

Im still happy with my first play with 88. At the time I had about 48BB, losing the hand still left me with about 35BB and a very slight chip leader.

After this beat I think I should have sat back for a bit, my AT should have been a fold but because it was only a couple of hands later I was taking a risk to try and win my chiplead back! This was the mitake... If this hand was folded I wouldn"t have been in the A2 shove situation!

Hopefully I have learnt something tonight.

Thanks again.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2012, 22:23:13 PM »
The Sunday Grind

Grind? Not exactly......

I had a difficult day today online. I played the following:

* The Bigger $5.50: Late reg"d and tried to get a double up quickly... It didn"t happen!
* The Bigger $8.80: Lost a fair few chips early on, won some back.... Then lost them all. A poor show really!
* The Sunday Storm: Raised with hand like AJ, AQ, AK etc only to either miss on the flop and having to fold or getting caught by a slightly better hand! Eventually busted QQ v AK, A on the turn.
* The Bigger £11: Much the same as the Storm, bad timing, bad beats! Busted TT v JJ.

Oh well, can"t run deep every week!

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2012, 23:56:32 PM »
With this weekend all but over I just thought I"d post the forcoming adventures next weekend:

Saturday Snooker

Saturday nights plans are to have an evening out and a game of snooker with some old boy who apparently used to be quite good....

The legend that is Mr Steve Davis is coming to our club.

I played Steve quite a few years back, it was just before the start of a new season so he informed us that he was going to "play properly", but he would give his opponents a 35 point head start! A few of us played him in best of 5 matches. He was awesome that night and I was happy to be the only player to take a frame off him. I managed to make a nice little 55 break which with the 35 head start secured the frame. Lets hope I can produce the goods again this time!

Sunday Poker

Sunday afternoon is another of North Norfolk"s Mega Deepstack Events. With a bounty prize of a Goliath Seat up for grabs too, it"s looking like being a good tournament. More than likely, I"ll be tweeting throughout the day!

Three APAT members will be competing in this:

thinsy147 (me)
monkeyman
Bauldus New

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
Saturday Snooker

Saturday night at my regular snooker club saw eight hopefuls, including me, wanting to prove themselves against the six times World Champion Steve Davis. However, it was proven that you don"t become a multi-champion by being average and even in your later years you don"t completely lose "it". Like any great sportsman, Steve made his chosen sport look easy, the most outstanding thing for me was his super smooth cueing action.

Steve "interesting" Davis was portrayed as a boring snooker player in the 80"s because he was always winning. In my eyes he was the first true proffesional of the sport, in fact, Steve is a profesional in every way. When he plays a tournament he plays to win. When he arrives at a club to entertain thats exactly what he does.

Anyway, back to the night in question. He won every game.....

Unfortunately for myself and the two other members of the clubs "A" team, Steve had decided to pick on us!

He had a 92 break against me making comments like "By the time I"ve finished with you you"ll be in the "B" Team"
He had a 117 break whilst bragging that "I don"t normally make centuries against "A" Team players but...."
Our third  player got away lightly because he only made a 56 break against him (he was going for a maximum though).

A very enjoyable night.

Sunday Poker

Sunday afternoon was our first North Norfolk Deepstack Championship of the year and saw 34 eager players all hoping to win a nice sum of money and maybe even a free entry into the 2012 Goliath event in Coventry.

Everyone started with a stack of 50,000 chips and a Bounty Token, blinds were scheduled to raise every 25 minutes, all for £35 (including buffet).
The player who wins the most Bounty Tokens was guaranteed a seat into the Goliath.

I decided to play quite loose early on, hoping that when I did tighten up later my opponents would still perceive me as being loose! In the first level I had lost 1K. By the end of level 2 I had only won three hands: I flopped a straight and made two bluffs that got through!

Just before the dinner break I managed to recoup all the chips I lost when I made a difficult, but correct, call with a set of A against a possible flush hand. He was trying to bluff me! I had 52K at the break.

After the break I had a little run good when my bluff with 72 gave me two pair on the river. Then I flopped a set and got paid. My stack had increased to 72K.

Shortly after I gained my first Bounty Token when my BB hand of T7 was limped round to me and I hit two pair. I called an all-in shove. He showed AT.

One big hand I managed to get away from was when I got dealt pocket 10"s. I raised, got an instant call, then a re-raise! I called the re-raise and the next player also called after deliberating re-re-raising! I didn"t hit the flop and easily folded. I had decided that i was up against AK and AA. I was close, it was AK v QQ. An A came on the flop, a Q came on the river!

When the blinds reached 1K/2K I had amassed 98K with the help of JJ v KQ and floping a third J. Gained another bounty token.

I was dealt KJ three times in a row, played all three and won all three! This got me upto 120K with blinds at 1.5K/3K.

By the time we reached 2K/4K blinds there were 17 players left and i had managed to lose a few chips. Down to 78K.

Fortunately it didn"t take long before I hit my third flopped set of the day to increase to 130K  and gain another bounty token.

Eventually I reached the final table and watched a couple of people fall but eventually went out in 6th. I shoved my 225K when the blinds were 10K/20K and sitting with AJ on the dealer button on an un-entered pot. Unfortunately the SB woke up with KK.

I was happy with my days play, really enjoyed myself and also managed to pick up a small pofit!