Author Topic: Exchange Rates  (Read 18773 times)

Hammerite

• Gold Member
Exchange Rates
« on: May 03, 2011, 13:04:13 PM »
Whilst I appreciate the commitment of our new sponsors 888 to the Apat cause, I do feel that their exchange rate policy is unfair to say the least.

I recently deposited $500 at an exchange rate of .6204 this cost me £310.20. Later the same day I withdrew $518.98 and I have now received an e-mail stating that I will receive £300.50 as the exchange rate is .5790 so in a nut shell it has cost me £9.70 + $18.98 so roughly £21 in total to deposit and withdraw the same money on the same day or to put it another way 7% of my deposit.

I have queried this with 888 but was informed that the exchange rate varies on a daily basis, so the e-mail notification that I received today with a rate of .5790 is todays rate. I accept this but just out of interest I have just tried to make a hypothetical deposit for $518.00 (the same day as I have received my e-mail) and it says it will cost me £321.05 at a rate of .6198

This just seems to me like a lot of extra hidden rake which I am finding difficult to justify, does anyone else feel that the differential of 7% is excessive or is it just me. I am by no means tight fisted, I just feel like I am being ripped off and would appreciate any feed back from other members.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 13:50:39 PM by Hammerite »
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: Exchange Rates
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 13:47:08 PM »
The buying and selling of currency always have differing rates,and I am no expert, but 7% seems a bit high.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 14:04:28 PM »
Go to my888.com and to forum and post your notification there Don may get better response direct from other members. Don"t deposit so much BTW  ;)
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 14:39:35 PM »
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 14:50:49 PM »
I have noticed this with 888 too . Bery poor rates basically they taking 5 % + rake on cash out.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 14:55:59 PM »
one rate on the way in, and a different rate on the way out.....  that"s just fee-charging by hidden means.

I know that iPoker sets a rate for the day - and it applies in both directions. Far more transparent and honest imo.

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 15:50:17 PM »
If you ask 888 to change the SETTLE denomination from £££ to USD they will do it (many won"t). This takes the control of the exchange rate out of the hands of 888 and places it back into the hands of your bank, who will mostly have a narrower spread than 7%. You can then deposit & withdraw using whichever of your banks rips you off the least charges the narrowest spread on currency conversions. I also use a $$$ Neteller a/c to move money around sites, so this process works for me.

Many sites don"t set a different rate for deposits and withdrawals on the same day (shame on 888). But those that do should be avoided unless you can stop them from setting their own rip off spread.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 16:00:54 PM »
Ok Andy thanks for your advice will defo look into the various options that you have highlighted, and I would advise any other members who might like to save themselves a few quid each time they make a withdrawal to do likewise. 8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 17:08:47 PM by Hammerite »
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 16:11:40 PM »

Whilst I appreciate the commitment of our new sponsors 888 to the Apat cause, I do feel that their exchange rate policy is unfair to say the least.

I recently deposited $500 at an exchange rate of .6204 this cost me £310.20. Later the same day I withdrew $518.98 and I have now received an e-mail stating that I will receive £300.50 as the exchange rate is .5790 so in a nut shell it has cost me £9.70 + $18.98 so roughly £21 in total to deposit and withdraw the same money on the same day or to put it another way 7% of my deposit.

I have queried this with 888 but was informed that the exchange rate varies on a daily basis, so the e-mail notification that I received today with a rate of .5790 is todays rate. I accept this but just out of interest I have just tried to make a hypothetical deposit for $518.00 (the same day as I have received my e-mail) and it says it will cost me £321.05 at a rate of .6198

This just seems to me like a lot of extra hidden rake which I am finding difficult to justify, does anyone else feel that the differential of 7% is excessive or is it just me. I am by no means tight fisted, I just feel like I am being ripped off and would appreciate any feed back from other members.

That is absolutely scandalous especially for a site that has a lot of UK customers. Perhaps someone who is clever can post this on the 888 part of the forum and I"m sure they"ll explain that it"s all just a terrible mistake....
Proud Member of Team Luton

Zozzy

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 00:46:24 AM »

If you ask 888 to change the SETTLE denomination from £££ to USD they will do it (many won"t). This takes the control of the exchange rate out of the hands of 888 and places it back into the hands of your bank, who will mostly have a narrower spread than 7%. You can then deposit & withdraw using whichever of your banks rips you off the least charges the narrowest spread on currency conversions. I also use a $$$ Neteller a/c to move money around sites, so this process works for me.

Many sites don"t set a different rate for deposits and withdrawals on the same day (shame on 888). But those that do should be avoided unless you can stop them from setting their own rip off spread.
I agree with this.
I also have a neteller acct in $dollars for the simple reason of exchange rate. I also have a mastercard in $dollars even though I have never been to USA in my life  :) (if and when I ever get to Vegas it will come in very handy).

I deposited at Ladbrokes Poker a few months ago and stated $dollars as my currency(they offer a choice that you tick off) but they set my account in £pounds and charged me exchange rate. When I queried it they said because my address is in UK it is set at default £pounds.
England Team member WCOAP 2017
APAT Christmas Cracker winner 2016
Gold Medal-2012 Scottish Online Championship
Player of the Series October 2012
Silver Medal-2011 English Amateur Poker Championship

Twitter @CraigZozzy

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 16:40:36 PM »
March 2011 = Amount deposited $1175 = £752.80
May 2011 = Amount withdrawn $1175 = £689.89

Actual currency movement in that time c 2.5 pc c £19

"Missing" amount £44 (c 6 %)

Sorry that"s just not good enough, considering the rake paid on top of that.

My business goes elsewhere (Except APAT of course)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 16:51:08 PM »
This is an age old problem.

It is not the poker sites ripping you off, it is the banks.

A lot of sites let you deposit in £ and will then convert to $ for the duration that you are logged in. They will then convert back to £ at the same rate once you log out.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 18:00:24 PM »
Then surely it is the poker site that is ripping you off not the banks

888 proudly states that it is listed on the LSE so wtf can you not deposit in GBP to a GBP account within 888 with any currency transactions within the site carried out and returned to GBP at the end of the session at the same exchange rate. The answer is plainly that they are ripping the arse out of you. Ladbrokes (now) and Sky are both run in GBP and Virgin transfer your money at the same rate. I believe with Stars you can set your default currency to GBP so you avoid exchange costs.

I think I pay enough in rake without another stealth tax on top and it"s not exactly peanuts in percentage terms either. I"m quite upset actually (You may have noticed  >:() but I promise this will be my last moan on the subject.

Perhaps some nice chap from 888 will come on and explain their exchange rate policy to me. It"s a shame because overall I really like the site and the MTTs they run.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 21:17:18 PM »

This is an age old problem.

It is not the poker sites ripping you off, it is the banks.

A lot of sites let you deposit in £ and will then convert to $ for the duration that you are logged in. They will then convert back to £ at the same rate once you log out.

Stars seem to manage fine, £10 on xe.com = $16.347. A £10 deposit on Stars would buy you $16.34.
(Accurate at this moment obv) You only lose to the rounding btw, to get £10 out you would need to withdraw $16.35

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 14:35:54 PM »
I came across this stealth rake recently.....

I had just been felted for the 3rd time in a low stakes HU cash game leaving me with only $2 in my account so I refused to carry on playing the guy unless we played higher. He agreed so I quickly deposited $500

Less than one hour later I withdrew the $500 (keeping the few hundred profit  ;) ).

Was surprised to find out later that the $500 deposit cost me £315.27 and the $500 withdrawal was only worth £295.55

Customer services tried to explain this by saying that the deposit was made on the 7th but the withdrawal, although less than one hour latter, was not processed till the 10th and the exchange rate had changed.

This is just a rip off... they're claiming the exchange rate changed by nearly 4 cents in this time when, no matter what source I check, the rate had never changed by even one cent.

They even had the cheek to claim that it usually works to the player's advantage and offered me a deposit bonus.. which I promptly declined..

>:( >:(
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.