Author Topic: Internet Gambling - Enforcement  (Read 2651 times)

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
Internet Gambling - Enforcement
« on: June 07, 2007, 13:03:06 PM »
How long left till the UIGEA thingy comes into effect?

How will it, if anyway, affect us playing online. I can"t say that I have noticed a massive change in online poker. Apart from various sites stopping USA customers? Has anyone else noticed any changes....

What are the chances of the top sites totally pulling the plug before the bill comes into effect? Have the big 2 (Full Tilt & PokerStars) made any announcements?
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
Re: Internet Gambling - Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 00:07:10 AM »
Does this come into effect on July the 13th??
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

jacko159

• Silver Member
Re: Internet Gambling - Enforcement
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 23:01:07 PM »
The Bill comes into force today, 270 days from the day it was signed into law.  There are three challenges/amendments to the UIGEA going through the US Congress which seek to either exclude or exempt games of skill from the bill or regulate online gaming.

The World Trade Organisation has also found the US guilty of breaking global trading agreements in a case brought by the government of Antigua & Barbuda - they are seeking over $3 billion per annum in compensation.  Several other countries including Canada, Australia, Costa Rica, as well as the EU have joined in the claim for compensation.

Personally I think the bill will be amended to regulate the industry (and pay taxes to the US Treasury) but in the meantime the big sites will carry on as normal. 
J4ck0159 on Betfair