Author Topic: Any advice on Stud 7 (hi only)?  (Read 5803 times)

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
Any advice on Stud 7 (hi only)?
« on: December 28, 2007, 00:05:29 AM »
As the title suggests....

I have been playing a few months (and doing well) but would appreciate someone who knows what they are doing discussing a few hands. I play a pretty solid game but when I move beyond 3/6 level that isnt enough.

I need to understand better the finesse of bluffing, stealing in limit games; which is quite difficult.

Also does anyone multi table on 7CS?  With so much information out there I can play only one at a time and its killing my earning. If I could find some kind of short cut to use to help me play 3/4 that would be helpful.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Any advice on Stud 7 (hi only)?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 15:24:08 PM »
Personally, I see limit 7 card stud primarily as a game of luck rather than skill. Obviously there is some skill in recognising betting patterns, odds, opportunities, etc, but I don"t think the art of bluffing applies anywhere near as much as it does in NLH.   The only time I ever play 7Stud nowadays is in a HORSE tourney, and it"s always noticable how quiet the play goes during this round. Can"t stand the game and would never play it as a ring game. (that said it"s what I grew up on back in the 80s).

The excitement, earning power, control, and enjoyment that I get from NLH, and even Limit Holdem at the right levels, far outweighs Stud..... in my opinion.

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 16:37:51 PM »

Personally, I see limit 7 card stud primarily as a game of luck rather than skill. Obviously there is some skill in recognising betting patterns, odds, opportunities, etc, but I don"t think the art of bluffing applies anywhere near as much as it does in NLH.   The only time I ever play 7Stud nowadays is in a HORSE tourney, and it"s always noticable how quiet the play goes during this round. Can"t stand the game and would never play it as a ring game. (that said it"s what I grew up on back in the 80s).

The excitement, earning power, control, and enjoyment that I get from NLH, and even Limit Holdem at the right levels, far outweighs Stud..... in my opinion.

Big statement!

I think Stud is a game rich with complexity.  Given the level of information available and the pot odds driving a looser game to further streets than traditional holdem, there is a good argument for actually saying the opposite.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 16:57:27 PM »
There is little point in bluffing on the river in a limit cash game unless you have the guy on a total draw, which he might have missed. You invariably get called because if someone has gone all the way to 7th street there is so much in the middle compared to the size of your bet they almost feel compelled to call.

I have found the best way to bluff on 6th or 7th is to check raise to show guy that you arent afraid of what he is showing. Then you may get him to laydown.

People who generally play NL almost always think limit is a game of pure luck, because people call you down, but you are right though it isn"t just a game of pure luck, and you have to have a lot of discipline on your starting hands and know when to throw it away and stop chasing.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 17:33:21 PM »
There"s more skill in stud games than flop games, if for no other reason that you can bluff in games like NLH with one bet - in stud (and I guess all limit games), you will rarely make one bet which is a bluff.

You can complete the buyin with a reasonable holding - but then bluff on 4th and 5th street to make an opponent lay down there cards on 5th or 6th. And to a greater extent you can bluff people off hands by your play in previous pots, so you have to play well every hand you play with much less emphasis on winning one huge pot with one brilliant bluff or slow played hand like you can in NLH.

That said, a bluff is rarely the right play - but that just re-emphasises the point that you have to play well every single hand - if you lose any chips by playing badly it"s a lot harder to get them back in  limit than it is in No Limit.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 17:47:40 PM »
Im with you on that one JMW!
Nice to know someone agrees with me.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 18:15:32 PM »

That said, a bluff is rarely the right play - but that just re-emphasises the point that you have to play well every single hand - if you lose any chips by playing badly it"s a lot harder to get them back in  limit than it is in No Limit.

I agree. You have to have much more discipline in stud games than NLH.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Advice- don"t play it! Frustrates the hell outta me.....

Although don"t get me started on Razz......

In all seriousness super system has a load of sections on different poker disciplines- maybe grab yourself a copy?
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 13:06:33 PM »
I also rarely dabble in stud high, except in horse tournies, but  it is a bit like limit holdem, where you are trying to win extra bets as apposed to nlh where you are trying to win extra pots.  As has been posted disciplined play, sticking to good starting hands, and being willing to abort retry sooner.  i.e NOT taking an extra card off on 4th/5th street.  If you get to 6th street it"s rarely incorrect to complete the hand.  Also be aware of your up cards and what hand you appear to have.  Bluffs wont win often, but then the odds you need them to win is good, only bluff good STUD players, they will lay down hands.  Godd HL players will call.
Still learn the science and practicing the art