Author Topic: What is a 'Poker Pro'?  (Read 13974 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: What is a 'Poker Pro'?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 15:09:17 PM »
Jon - although it was your situation and the other thread that sparked this thread off, this thread is in no way about your specific situation.  It"s just a wider discussion on the topic of what constitutes a poker pro in general.

Like you said, individual cases should be discussed privately with Des.  Best of luck with it all.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 17:43:03 PM »

No I do not claim benefits, no I have not started my tuition sessions yet, no I do not have my income taxed, then again I think I deserve benefits for my 2 month downswing.

Just before I played WCOOP I was about to quit poker and get a job, I still have days where I think "I can"t do this", and I would like a stable income, but full time employment would kill any hope I have of becoming a "real pro", but I will be taking up part time work most likely in the near future.  Oh and whoever it was that mentioned my videos (trying to make an income as I type this and too many tables loaded) , I do not make anything from those and they are purely for educational purposes to the people I want to give something back to. 

I"m not going to be discussing my situation anymore in public and I"d prefer for others to not too until I have spoken with Des.

Fair play fella - it"s your business, and nobody else"s.

EMSBas

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 19:15:26 PM »

Jon - although it was your situation and the other thread that sparked this thread off, this thread is in no way about your specific situation.  It"s just a wider discussion on the topic of what constitutes a poker pro in general.

Like you said, individual cases should be discussed privately with Des.  Best of luck with it all.

I understand and knew that but had to reply to a few of the comments with my situation, I think its a very good subject and one that causes problems because there being no definitive answer and different view points on the matter, there are also different areas, for example I intend to make my living from cash games, like many others. I know someone who plays full time and played 3 tournaments last year... in a whole year! What I"m trying to explain is that a cash game pro may have a lot of leaks in their tournament game and are more than likely to be worse than many casual/recreational tournament players!

Also some full time workers may even play more poker than people who earn all their income from it, so it"s really hard to quantify IMO.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2008, 19:27:07 PM »
I know someone who plays full time and played 3 tournaments last year... in a whole year! What I"m trying to explain is that a cash game pro may have a lot of leaks in their tournament game and are more than likely to be worse than many casual/recreational tournament players!

Also some full time workers may even play more poker than people who earn all their income from it, so it"s really hard to quantify IMO.

This is so true, I would be surprised if there are many, if any, pros who make their sole income from tournaments. The variance in tournaments is just too great.

I also know plenty of amatuers who play way too much poker. I know I have had occasion where I have had to break playing, because playing too much has a detrimental effect on my game.