Author Topic: AA in BB vs serial raiser from Cutoff  (Read 11477 times)

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
AA in BB vs serial raiser from Cutoff
« on: January 03, 2008, 14:22:08 PM »
Ok Hero (That"s us) is in BB in Major Hold Em Pot Limit Tournament. Action folds round to cutoff where Villain makes a raise. He has raised the last 4 rounds on your BB. You look down and see the blessed sight of  ad1 :as: .

Yes, you think got him.

You are both above average stack of 20k, you have 35k and he has approx 26k and blinds are 400/800. His pre-flop raise was to 2500.

How do you play it?

and I want pre-flop, and post flop play please.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: AA in BB vs serial raiser from Cutoff
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 14:26:25 PM »
I"d call pre flop

I"d check raise post flop
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 14:35:28 PM »
I had similar to this in Edinburgh last year.

The action was folded around to the button, rather than the cut off, who raised 3xBB. I looked down at  ac ah

I thought about it and just called the bet.

The flop came down  6c  qd  6d

I bet out 3/4 of the pot and was called.

The turn came out  6h

Again, I bet out 3/4 of the pot and was called.

By this stage I was worried. The original raiser could have raised with anything and my call pre flop did nothing to identify what she might be holding.

I can"t remember what the river was, but I again bet out 3/4 of the pot and the original raiser laid it down. The reason I bet out, rather than check, was to stop myself from being put in a position of doubt if the original raiser then bet out. If I was raised after my bet then I would probably have had to lay down the aces.

I think my main problem was not re-raising pre flop, something I wouldn"t hesitate doing now.

Edit: In fact, you (Gordon) and Mickey P were at that table.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 14:40:35 PM by HaworthBantam »

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 14:47:55 PM »
Raise preflop, but not massive enough to put him off, nor minimum to make it obvious. Reraise to 6000.

Assuming he calls, I am first to act after the flop and if it"s a non scary pot with low to middle rainbow cards, I will lead out half pot..... if it"s scary ie all suited, will overbet, perhaps even shove all in, to remove any odds he thinks he might have to call. If he calls without odds and hits, well c"est la vie... but then it"s difficult to say what I would do post flop without more info on the guy, the situation, the stage of tourney, etc.

What I would never do with AA (any more) is flat call preflop, then check the flop. Only time I would slow play the flop is if it showed an A, with disconnected rainbow cards

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 15:22:20 PM »

What I would never do with AA (any more) is flat call preflop, then check the flop. Only time I would slow play the flop is if it showed an A, with disconnected rainbow cards

I agree, but just thought the flat call and check raise would get another bet out of a serial raiser with a weak holding.

there is obviously more to consider
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 15:28:06 PM »

Ok Hero (That"s us) is in BB in Major Hold Em Pot Limit Tournament. Action folds round to cutoff where Villain makes a raise. He has raised the last 4 rounds on your BB. You look down and see the blessed sight of  ad1 :as: .

Yes, you think got him.

You are both above average stack of 20k, you have 35k and he has approx 26k and blinds are 400/800. His pre-flop raise was to 2500.

How do you play it?

and I want pre-flop, and post flop play please.

I"d re-pot him.  Make it look like you"re making a stand (I"m assuming you"ve folded the other times he"s come after your blind?).  Hope he has a big hand and can stand the heat.

If he folds, it might slow him down in the future from thinking he can steal your blind - and so even though you won"t win much on this hand, it"ll reduce your losses going forward.  Also, if he"s raising you with air, then you"re not going to get much off him unless he hits the flop (and of course you only want him to hit hard enough to call any subsequent bets, not to beat you at the showdown).

If he does call, you bet on the flop with a standard c-bet, and hope he pots it to scare you.  You re-pop and get it all in.

He has KT and you lose to two pair on the river ;D.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 15:30:31 PM »
As i said above this guy appears to be a serial raiser from the cutoff and has raised my BB from the cutoff the last 4 rounds. To give you a bit more information I have played him a few times before in GUKPT etc and he seems a solid enough player.

Remember this is a Pot Limit Tournament.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 15:40:31 PM »

As i said above this guy appears to be a serial raiser from the cutoff and has raised my BB from the cutoff the last 4 rounds. To give you a bit more information I have played him a few times before in GUKPT etc and he seems a solid enough player.

Did you fold each time to his raises from the cut-off the last 4 times?

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 15:49:52 PM »

You know me I"m a rock of course i did. ;)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 15:56:18 PM »
I"d make the play I said above then.  If not to get more into the pot, just to tell him to back off and leave your blind alone!

Ant1966

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 16:06:08 PM »

LOL
"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 16:29:32 PM »
(very similar thoughts to Daniel on this one so assume it"s the Donk move)  :)

I"d re-pot it up pre-flop in a way that makes him think you"re doing it only because you"re sick of him stealing your blinds.

Assuming he calls and that the flop is one you think he"ll try to re-raise you on, I"d bet just over half the pot. If it"s a low flop I"d pot bet it hoping that he"s going to call or re-raise you with TT or JJ.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 16:34:51 PM »

LOL

Ok before Ant blows my cover, here is how the hand played out.

I was actually the villain of the piece here and was the raiser in the cutoff. In my defence the last 4 rounds I had AK, AQ, 10 10 and 9 9 so each raise was legitimate into BB, but he"s so tight he passes each time. But I know he is gonna play back at me sooner or later so decide to calm down a bit.

However, next round it folds round to me in cutoff, and the little voice in my head says raise when I look down and see the monster hand of  js 9s  .

This time BB dwells up and decides to flat call, I know I"m in trouble.

Flop    :3s: 5s 6s

Hmmm, I think that might be ok.

BB checks, I bet 2/3 pot.

He dwells up and flat calls.

Oops I think, I"m either already behind or he has  :as:

Turn is   4c

I decide if he checks he doesn"t have flush but has  :as:

He checks

I know if i bet pot he will come back over top with bare Ace

I bet pot, he comes back over top, I have to call with only 2-3k behind.

I show  js 9s for flush he shows  ad1 :as:

River comes 2h and I double up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 16:38:06 PM by GiMac »

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 16:37:19 PM »
What do you guys think of BB"s play both pre and post flop?

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 16:44:35 PM »
instafold
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'