Author Topic: ThinkerJE takes a trip to Vegas  (Read 47577 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: ThinkerJE takes a trip to Vegas
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2007, 16:39:21 PM »

Or was it that the extra weight in his suitcase was down to sneaking home one of the girls from ceasers to bring to the next apat event to show ?? :)

I think he might fancy the odd facial.  That could be related to the heavier suitcase ???
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2007, 19:57:31 PM »
Welcome back after your Vegas exploits James and good luck tonight!

Cheers,

Des.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
Ok.  Sorry for the delay in posting my review of the trip to Vegas.  I think that being on a plane for 12 hours is not good for you as I came down with a horrible flu like thing on Tuesday last week.  This meant I was laid up in bed for 3 days and therefore offline.  Anyway I feel a lot better now and so can post my final thoughts on Las Vegas 2007.

All in all I had a fantastic 2 weeks.  Las Vegas was everything I was expecting and a whole lot more.  Financially it was not the best time I have had.  Without going into too much detail I spent $3,300 over the 2 weeks.  This includes all tournament buy ins, cash game losses, video poker wins and all other expenses.  This was well within my budget I had for the trip and I am not too worried about it.

Poker wise I think the trip went okay.  I have definitely learnt a lot about my game, playing everyday makes you think about your play and how you should do things differently.  The standard of play is also a lot higher in Vegas in general.  There are always not so good (but very lucky) players everywhere, but in Vegas there are so many very good players in every poker room.  That said, I felt I was able to play to their level and that I have the skills to compete with them.

I was pleased with my tournament play.  Apart from a couple of mistakes I think I played top poker throughout the trip.  I was especially pleased with my play at the Rio in the WSOP event.  I kept patient and did not do anything stupid and backed myself when I thought I had the best hand.  The highlight of the whole 2 weeks was my encounter with Juha Helppi when he had JJ against my KK.  This was my first taste of what world class poker is like and I would like to experience more like this in the future.  I also was able to evaluate my tournament play and decided I needed to experiment more in order to gain chips early.  This is something I will continue to work on in preparation for next years WSOP.

I was handed a lesson in cash game poker.  I think by winning $200 in my first session I was lured into a false sense of security.  In subsequent sessions I proceeded to play too passively and make some bad calls.  It is wierd because I would never play like this in a tournament.  I must improve my cash game play online and put in the hours before venturing into a live cash game again.  This is an area of my game that definitely needs to improve.

Video poker, now that was a massive bonus.  I had no intention of playing it before I went out to Vegas and discovered it by accident really.  However it was the only part of the trip that made a profit.  It was good fun, you get to drink free beer and get comped as you play.  I used it as a way to chill out after playing poker all day and got very lucky by hitting 4 aces.  It appeals to me so much more than slots, I just don"t get them at all.

Vegas as a place is simply outstanding.  There is so much to do, even if you are not a degenerate gambler like me.  It is true that you don"t know what time of day it is, and it doesn"t matter as the place is all action 24/7 anyway.  The WSOP was an experience like no other.  Non poker people will not get why this place is so special, but you simply must go and play in it if you can.  It is the Olympics, World Cup & Gold Cup of Poker.  There is an atmosphere about the place and watching you poker heros & idols walk past you in the hall is the strangest feeling at first.  Then it becomes the norm as they are everywhere.

In conclusion I had the best 2 weeks I have had for a long time.  I definitely intend to go to Vegas again.  Next years WSOP is high on the agenda, however I may make another trip before then, if the bankroll can withstand it.  I also enjoyed keeping this blog and posting regular updates.  I have read it back a few times now and will serve as a permanent record of my first trip to Vegas.  I hope you all have enjoyed my reports aswell.

So thats it.  My last update.  Thank you all for your kind support and replies.  See you all at the next APAT event (whenever & wherever that is - hint hint Des).

Cheers

James

NO BAD BEATS - LAS VEGAS = MAGNIFICANT

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2007, 12:07:04 PM »

Welcome home JE!

Was it just the suitcase that was heavier on its return?  ::)

I actually lost a few pounds Jack (or was that dollars...)

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2007, 12:15:10 PM »

Great stuff James.  I think everyone reading your updates are jealous and wish we"d been out there.

You can tell us all about it at the next APAT event.  When I say tell us all about it, I mean show us the photos of the girls at Caesar"s.

I may have video footage...

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »
It's been a great reed

Getting chips early is a big debate do you risk going out in the first couple of levels or do you wait until you get blinded away? When you do push with you're A J off you always get call with some one playing K 4 who always hit the K. It's some think I need to think about as well as it's always the latter for me.      

Catch up with you at the next event (when ever that is, come on DES)

Don't forget those photos

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2007, 16:06:53 PM »

... The standard of play is also a lot higher in Vegas in general.  There are always not so good (but very lucky) players everywhere, but in Vegas there are so many very good players in every poker room.  That said, I felt I was able to play to their level and that I have the skills to compete with them...

... I was handed a lesson in cash game poker.  I think by winning $200 in my first session I was lured into a false sense of security.  In subsequent sessions I proceeded to play too passively and make some bad calls.  It is wierd because I would never play like this in a tournament.  I must improve my cash game play online and put in the hours before venturing into a live cash game again.  This is an area of my game that definitely needs to improve...

James,

Glad to hear that the overall eperience was a positive one and that you"re chomping at the bit to return... I must get around to writing a summary of my trip also!

It has been interesting reading your reports and comparing them to my experiences of my first trip last year. A similar sense of wonderment is apparent!!

Re: Cash games... I"m suprised that you felt the standard was high in Vegas, my impression, after two visits now, is that it partcularly low at the $1/$2 NL tables. Yes, there will be one or two at the table who know what they"re doing, but I"ve always found they are outnumbered by people who really have no idea.

My strategy is to sit tight for the first orbit or two and try to identify the fish and the mood of the table. If it"s pretty passive then try to see as many cheap flops as possible with any two "pretty" cards, you will throw most of them away on the flop but when you do hit a flop hard you will get paid. When you do get AA raise big, no 3xBB raises here, make it $20... it might be the only hand you"ve raised for two hours but you will still get one or two callers, maybe even a re-raise!

If I find I have a hyper-aggressive serial raiser at the table then I take one of two options... either sit tight and play proper ABC poker with premium hands (boring), or (more likely) move to another table / room - there is always another game somewhere.

Oh, and when you have the nuts the "value bet" is always all-in... I am totally mystified by some of the weak hands you will get called with. And even if you only get called one in three or four times it is still value.

I really don"t think that playing online cash will be that good as preparation for the live cash in Vegas. I think that even $0.25/$0.50 NL online is a much higher standard and played totally differently to the $1/$2 live games.

I"m certainly no cash game expert, but I find this works for me.

Good luck with future trips over there.
Cheers,
Alan
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2007, 18:10:00 PM »
Great stuff once again James, ever thought of journalism as a career.

I hope to travel over to sin city as soon as the bank manager will let me, I guess its a place thats not worth doing on the cheap.

Hope to say hello at the next Apat event.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

ukdannyb

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2007, 14:48:23 PM »
Really enjoyed your posts James, I"m now longing for my next trip again!

I agree with RioRodent about the cash play in Vegas though, seemed to be full of calling stations when I was at the tables (only $1/$2).

B1GSL1CK

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2007, 04:16:31 AM »
JAMES,WHILST YOU ARE THERE CHECK OUT THE VENETIAN POKER ROOM,
VERY NICE!!STAYED THERE MAY LAST YEAR.THE BEST TOURNEY I PLAYED
WAS THE DEEPSTACK AT THE WYNN,GOOD STRUCTURE AND REASONABLE
BUY-IN (ABOUT $400).THE BUFFET AT THE MGM IS SECOND TO NONE AND
IF YOU LIKE THE BARS THE BAR AT TIMES SQUARE INSIDE NEWYORK NEWYORK
IS A GREAT PLACE TO START THE EVENING.THE ONLY GAURANTEED THING ABOUT VEGAS IS THAT AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME YOU WILL START SAVING TO GET
BACK THERE AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!

ENJOY.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2008, 22:41:50 PM »
bump...