Author Topic: YNWA - The Beginnning  (Read 3574 times)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
YNWA - The Beginnning
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
On 2nd November 1963 Anfield was filling up nicely and an expectant crowd assembled on the Kop looked forward to the afternoon"s game against Leicester City. Shankly"s men were sitting in third place in the top division just two points behind Sheffield United and Manchester United,  having played a game less, and had won their last five league games (including a 2-1 derby victory over the old enemy).

So it was that spirits were high for the visit of their bogey side Leicester City, who had knocked them out of the FA Cup at the semi final stage seven months earlier thanks to a Stringfellow goal which broke Kopites" hearts.
However, Liverpool would eventually go on to win Shankly"s first championship in the spring, it would not be events on the pitch that wet November Saturday, which would have a lasting effect on the proud football club.

As was the tradition in the early sixties, the public address system would run down the top ten singles in the 45 minutes prior to kick-off, in Anfield"s own version of The Chart Show. Unlike today, the ground would be pretty much filled by 2:30pm, as fans took up their favourite specs on the terraces. In order to amuse themselves as much as anything else, the pre-match period would be occupied by the singing for which the Kop was already becoming famous.

That particular afternoon, as Bill Shankly and his men made their final preparations under the Main Stand, the chart rundown was going on as usual above them.

Adam Faith, Chuck Berry, local lads The Searchers (Sugar and Spice), Shirley Bassey, Trini Lopez (If I had a Hammer), The Crystals, Roy Orbison and Brian Poole & The Tremeloes blasted out from the primitive speakers around the ground.

Then at number two it was The Beatles singing She Loves You. This was a huge favourite, and the Kop sang  along with gusto. The mood was high as the teams were awaited. With the Kop now in full voice the speakers crackled as the Anfield DJ placed the stylus on the number one record.

The new number one song in the United Kingdom was, of course, Gerry and the Pacemakers with "You"ll Never Walk Alone". The Kop swayed and sang and an anthem was born.

The song stayed at number one for four weeks before "She Loves You "replaced it. Soon Gerry"s song was dropping out of the top ten, but the Liverpool fans demanded that the DJ continued to play it and so the tradition of playing YNWA prior to kick-off at Anfield was launched. There has not been a home game in the 48 years since at which the famous anthem has not rang around Anfield. The name of the song now features on the club badge, on the Shankly Gates and is as much a part of LFC as the Liver Bird.

As was the custom in those days, Leicester City beat Liverpool that day, with Gordon Banks outstanding in a 1-0 win.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: YNWA - The Beginnning
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Dirty Koppites ! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 15:51:24 PM »

Dirty Koppites ! ;)

:)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlsUfOjVhrM[/youtube]

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 15:59:11 PM »
Nice piece Waz, you almost got me in tears. Not bad considering I am a Yiddo :)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 18:51:23 PM »
Great contribution Waz.  I"ve been a Liverpool fan since before I can remember and that"s the first time I"ve heard that story.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 21:29:04 PM »

Great contribution Waz.  I"ve been a Liverpool fan since before I can remember and that"s the first time I"ve heard that story.

First time you"ve heard it? I had you there! Lol  :P
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »

First time you"ve heard it? I had you there! Lol  :P

Cheeky sod!
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy