Author Topic: National Online League - Season 6 Formats  (Read 47876 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
National Online League - Season 6 Formats
« on: December 21, 2011, 22:57:34 PM »
Hi all,

A fair bit of discussion has taken place between the team and myself with regards the "format" that we utilise for Season 6 of the National Online League. 

I"d like to open up this discussion to the players and we"d welcome your thoughts on the options that we are currently looking at, and would welcome any further development ideas that you might have.

For the purposes of this discussion it would be good to focus in on the topline League format, as opposed to the night we play on, prizes, structures etc.  We can finalise in those areas once we have the topline format nailed down.

In summary, there are two topline formats currently on the table for Season 6 and they are as follows:-

1)  We reduce the number of clubs to approximately 8 to 10.  Those clubs become regionally based as opposed to city based, so they would all be large clubs; think Ireland, Scotland, North of England, South of England, Central England etc etc.  In this format a degree of regional identity is retained and groups of players who have been playing with each other for several seasons would continue to do so.

2)  We retain the current identity of approximately 20 odd poker clubs but we introduce a draft (American Football style) whereby each club is assigned a captain (ideally local to the area) and we then evenly allocate players to each club (based on league performance over the last couple of years) to create one large division of teams, even in number and ability.  In this scenario, we would remove the geographical requirement for players to play for their "local" clubs.

In either case we would ensure that the scoring allows for more clubs to score points every matchday to reward more clubs. 

There are pros and cons to both approaches and I"m sure you will have queries around how each team would be finally formed in either format.  However, in an ideal world where we could make both options work without issue, which of the two formats most appeals and why?

Cheers,

Des.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: National Online League - Season 6 Formats
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 00:10:01 AM »
Shortest lived captaincy of all time coming up!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 00:15:42 AM »

Shortest lived captaincy of all time coming up!!

Haha, you won"t get away that easy!
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 00:21:30 AM »
Oh and I like the idea of a draft, that sounds like loads of fun :) can I trade a first round draft pick to ensure I get scouse please?
England C Captain 2012

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 00:23:32 AM »
I think that due to most clubs forming a varied amount of "togetherness" over the past couple of seasons it would be a such a huge shame to lose a culbs indenity with a more regional approach.

Clubs such as, and certain not limited too, Luton, Glasgow, West Mids, Carlisle, Kent, have worked hard to build up a core of players, and the whole club work to bring players into the realm to grow the club and APAT itself.

So for me option 2 is a must, but I"m not sure how the allocation of players would work..but that could be a later discussion.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 00:24:06 AM »

Oh and I like the idea of a draft, that sounds like loads of fun :) can I trade a first round draft pick to ensure I get scouse please?

hands off fat boy  ;D

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 00:26:13 AM »
Can I trade a second round pick to ensure I DON"T get Ger?  :D
England C Captain 2012

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 00:27:13 AM »

someone might want me  8)

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 00:28:45 AM »

Team Dove Soap do  ;D
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Scousebill

• Gold Member
  • Liverpool FC, APAT Poker @TheHummingbirds CoLFC
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 00:29:44 AM »
What does it really matter where the Captain is from..?
When I joined two years ago I plumped for my home town of Liverpool but it did not make much difference as I was playing online. I am still playing online and will start going to bricks and mortar in the new year. I suppose then playing for a regional online team means that I may well meet some of "My team mates".
In option 2 what difference would it make where the captain was from if APAT are going to select his squad.
I like the idea of the teams supposedly being equal, based on previous years results and it may well work initially but hasn"t the strength of this league come about by the online friendship generated by the teams. Will these friendships develop within a new online team or will people want to stick with players they have played with in previous seasons.

Option 1 is an easy option I feel and would be the choice of many who would prefer just a subtle change.

Option 2 will definitly change the whole dynamic of the League. I think it could work well, but only if the numbers of players of whatever level could remain consistant for each matchday. Along with changing the way teams are selected is a need to change to way the points are awarded, to keep more teams involved for longer in the season.

I have only one question to ask..... How would newcomers to the league be allocated a team... Personal knowledge of their poker skills or be treated as a novice..?

My choice at this moment, without others to sway me this early in the thread is for Option 2.. It may well change...

Silver Medal APAT European Champs. 2015
WCOAP 6-MAX Champion, 2015.
2015 APAT Player of The Year.
Online 10th Anniversary Vegas Sat. Winner 2016

Twitter @APATBillShep

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 00:30:55 AM »

Team Dove Soap do  ;D

memories - oh the memories

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 00:38:24 AM »
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »

I think that due to most clubs forming a varied amount of "togetherness" over the past couple of seasons it would be a such a huge shame to lose a culbs indenity with a more regional approach.

Clubs such as, and certain not limited too, Luton, Glasgow, West Mids, Carlisle, Kent, have worked hard to build up a core of players, and the whole club work to bring players into the realm to grow the club and APAT itself.

So for me option 2 is a must, but I"m not sure how the allocation of players would work..but that could be a later discussion.

Waz it sounds to me with option 2 you would have a Luton club, but possibly only a Luton captain with the rest of the team being made up from all over the country?
The Draft thing should make for even teams though.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »
Firstly thanks for the comment Stu , felt a bit unrecognised after not making the shortlist for APAT player of the year  (even though near the top of total rankings,finishing 2nd in div 1 and leading England to their best ever finish). But thats another story lol )

As for the league I think good idea to make 1 division with bigger teams and as for cities losing identity think this will be soon forgotten into the season. Putting teams together is asically what happened to birmingham / Walsall last year. Looking at it from my own point of view I believe that north west would be Liverpools team encompassing Carlisle and Manchester. Dont think there other teams in that area.
Then Scotland, Wales , Ireland as teams not sure of numbers etc .
In rest of England not too sure maybe north east , south west, south east again not sure on numbers etc for regular players.
Just please please please do not give west midlands any more players they got their boost last year !!
This really is a tough job to do evenly and hope it is done I enjoyed playing the league this year , although as a team if it is like last year when basically there is a team that is nailed on to win from the outset then i will not play it. I recruited a lot of players last year to play for us and i know Luton did massively and no one still got close to west mids.
I know it went down to last few games but that is because west mids took foot off the gas with 6 or 7 games left and a lot of players didnt bother playing until luton caught back up .
Anyway good luck on developing this great concpept

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
Scotland FTW!  ;D