Author Topic: oneill1970  (Read 2424 times)

oneill1970

• Silver Member
oneill1970
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:05:51 AM »
1 - WHO ARE YOU?
Nick O"Neill.  Not related to the surfwear chain or the pub chain.  Unfortunately.

2 - POST A PICTURE OF YOURSELF OR A LINK TO ONE (APAT OR OTHER)
http://www.jebomusic.co.uk - the chap on the left about to come down with "flu from standing in a field in February having his picture taken.

3 - WHERE DO YOU COME FROM?
Cheltenham, originally.  Supposedly posh, genteel West Country town.  Now living in London, technically Surrey (ugh!). Supposedly posh etc.

4 - TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF?
A professional musician, making all my money from lecturing, playing, conducting and so on.  Also in a band (see above), but no money from that as yet! Am firmly convinced that the only division in music is between Good Music and Bad Music.  Genres are worth nothing.  Half Italian, half English, proud of both, making Six Nations interesting.  I work hard, but my free time is mine, and that"s what led me here...

5 - WHAT IS YOUR POKER BACKGROUND?
Started playing for free chips online, but my connection kept dropping.  Since upgrading, I have come to take it more seriously.  I always thought poker was all bluffing and no card play, but I"m glad to see it"s not.  Most importantly, I LOVE playing the game.  Somebody should have told me about it earlier!

6 - WHAT IS YOUR PLAYING STYLE?
That would be telling, no?  How about "learning all the time"?

7 - WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE POKER PLAYER AND WHY?
People who say "I did it, you can do it too", rather than those who say "I did it, I"m the best".  From my limited knowledge, Chris Ferguson, Julian Thew, Brian Townsend and the like.  I would be honoured, though, to play against any of the top players...and would give pretty much anything to meet Doyle Brunson.

8 - WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ONLINE POKER SITE AND WHAT IS YOUR POKER ID THERE?
I dot around between different sites at very low levels.  My poker ID would give me away, and I don"t want anybody to steal it, so I"ll keep it quiet. It"s music related.

9 - WHAT ARE YOUR POKER ACHIEVEMENTS?
Only one - continuing to realise that I need to get better.

10 - WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE ABOUT LIVE POKER CURRENTLY, THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?
Haven"t played live yet - that"s why I joined APAT.

11 - HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT APAT?
Through PokerPlayer magazine.

12 -WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT APAT TOURNAMENTS, STANDARD OF PLAY AND STRUCTURE?
I"ll let you know when I play my first, in April.  It will be my birthday present to myself, and I can hardly wait.

13 - HAVE YOU PLAYED AT AN APAT LIVE EVENT AND IF SO, WHAT WAS MOST MEMORABLE ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE?
See above.

14 - WHAT ARE YOUR MAIN INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF POKER?
Music, of course, no boundaries.  Cinema, wine, good food, kite flying, poetry, chess, quality TV (The Shield, NYPD Blue, Six Feet Under etc...), juggling, photography, money management (seriously!), board games, any motorsport, history, the space race...

15 - WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK OR FILM?
Book: The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth.  A novel written as a poem, but so much more interesting than it sounds!  Have worn my original to pieces and had to rebuy...!
Film: Solaris - not the George Clooney, the Tarkovsky.  Amazing, and so far removed from what we have come to accept as cinema.  "Ran" by Kurosawa and "The Lives Of Others" (Oscar, BAFTA, amazing - it will haunt you!) are hot on its tail, though.

16 - WHAT THREE MUSIC ALBUMS WOULD YOU TAKE TO A DESERT ISLAND WITH YOU?
That"s an unfair question for a musician!  Well...
Bach - Complete Works!
Beethoven - Complete Works!
King"s X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
Can I take my own band as a special privilege?  Ta! JEBO - Sinking Without You.

17 - FINALLY, WHAT MESSAGE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE FOR YOUR FELLOW APAT MEMBERS?
See you at the live events.  Save a seat at the bar!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.