Author Topic: Kevin Shutt Interview - Season One Player Of The Year  (Read 6407 times)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Kevin Shutt Interview - Season One Player Of The Year
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:59:31 AM »
Richard Prew caught up with APAT's Player of the Year Kevin Shutt and talked to him about his success ahead of his appearance in the San Remo EPT as part of his prize.

Kevin, congratulations on your Player of the Year win! Now you are off to San Remo. Why choose San Remo?

Well, it was simple really! Only Warsaw & San Remo remained on this season's schedule and we had a clash with the Warsaw dates, so San Remo it had to be. Also Angela and I have just re-married and she so wanted a honeymoon in San Remo as she loves Italy.

How much are you looking forward to playing in an EPT? What are you expecting?

I am really looking forward to meeting and playing against the professionals in what will be a fabulous setting. My game needs to improve and I intend to learn from the whole experience. My expectations never go beyond making the best decisions with the next two cards in front of me, but I certainly intend to enjoy myself!  

Your involvement with APAT began in the very first event didn"t it?

Yes, that seems a long time ago doesn't it? I liked the concept of deep stack play, dealer dealt with an affordable buy in. I have enjoyed my APAT journey and have made so many friends along the way. 

You went on to achieve a number of consistent results:

Canadian Open - Silver
English Amateur Championship - 16th
French Open - Bronze
UK Amateur Championship - 16th
WCOAP Omaha - 5th
WCOAP Razz - 6th
OnLive Championship - 6th

Which of these gave you the greatest pleasure?

Well, I have a rounded game which involves playing many poker variants to a reasonable standard. So reaching final tables and attaining points online in NLHE, Omaha & Razz was very satisfying. My two points scoring live events were enjoyable, but I believe I fell short on what was achievable and this is an area I am working on. That just leaves the OnLive event which was truly awesome! After doubling up 1st hand AA v KK, I never seemed in trouble until the final table where I went on a roller coaster ride never to be forgotten, OnLive takes it for me!

The OnLive event was dramatic for you. I remember you rivered a card with one and a bit big blinds left on the Online final table to make it to the Vic didn"t you?

I had just been crippled by AK and down to a desperate short-stack with seven players left, when i got Qc7c UTG. Realising that I would have to be all in next hand with any 2 cards i decided to shove and got called by 66. I thought 2 overs and a flush draw, I"m happy with that, especially when I rivered the 7! On the BB next hand I called the SB"s all in with A3 and knocked him out making the final 6 and the Live final at the Vic. 

At the Vic, you needed 5th or better to win the title. I certainly didn"t expect to see you 6th of 6! Did you think you might have blown it?

Well I entered the final 4th in chips, but soon became the short-stack as the bottom 2 doubled up with QQ & AA. Luckily we had all agreed to roll back the blinds to give us all a chance to play poker and credit must go out to all the finalists as this helped create a fantastic poker playing atmosphere that I"m sure none of us will forget. I believe that I lasted over 3 hours, mostly as the short-stack where I just appeared to miss or someone hit better? I finally ran my 77 into Jack Primes kings, crippling me again!? Then all in with ace rag v Mickey P"s AJ, a split pot!? Then all in pre-flop v 55, flopped a straight my opponent a set, which he filled up on the river. At this point I had a Guinness, smiled and thought this isn't over yet and that picture that Des took will always remind me that whatever happens to you in poker, remember it is just a game!

Sadly Mark Donnelly couldn"t play the shootout and in the end finishing 6th didn"t matter. Looking ahead are you planning to play more APAT events?

My thoughts go out to Mark and i hope he overcomes his challenges soon. Season 2 has been a bit more difficult for me due to business and personal reasons, but i hope to end the season on a high, especially as i intend to play the Omaha, Razz & Stud at the Vic in August!

What are your thoughts on the development of APAT?

The concept started by Tony, Des and you is a strong, but simple one. By giving amateurs like me the opportunity to play in the right way in the right conditions, we can gain the skills and confidence to play at a higher level. The poker industry is watching APAT and adapting to cater for more quality poker and that can only benefit us all. But, like all growing concepts APAT must also adapt to market forces and listen to its members, who have a more diversified view on the best way forward. I believe these views are being listened too, and APAT will go from strength to strength, without forgetting its core values without which I would not be the winner I am today-thank you all!

Good luck in San Remo!  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:07:33 AM by APAT »