Author Topic: $20 SATELLITE ON BETFAIR - 22/2  (Read 50473 times)

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
Re: $20 SATELLITE ON BETFAIR - 22/2
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2010, 14:39:02 PM »

One question for the team,

if a seat is won and you are in the holding tank, can you unregister and take the dosh?
Geo

I would have a real problem with anyone qualifying via a satellite and then selling the seat for any reason other than they are unable to make it.

If they have any other reason then they are denying other players of the opportunity to satellite into the main comp.

Anyone  qualifying and then selling on is effectively re-pricing the seat from $20 to $120+ and that"s just wrong.

The question wasn"t about selling their seat, it was whether they could unregister and take the money and play further sats in the hope that they gain a seat again. if not, could they then re-register into the tank or would they have to go via the clickfest route.

By only quoting part of my question you have effectively gave an answer to a question that was not asked. Another reason I asked was that now the seats are held in a tank that anyone who may have satted but find that they cannot make it may in fact be able to unregister and receive the monies as opposed to going down the seat transfer route, giving the APAT team less work to do.

Hope this clears things up.

Geo

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2010, 15:00:01 PM »

The question wasn"t about selling their seat, it was whether they could unregister and take the money and play further sats in the hope that they gain a seat again. if not, could they then re-register into the tank or would they have to go via the clickfest route. By only quoting part of my question you have effectively gave an answer to a question that was not asked.

But that"s what is effectively happening. Why would they play the sat if they weren"t going to play in the main comp? If they unregister (without being unable to make it) then they have denied a potential satellite qualifier a shot and increased the price of the seat from $20 to $120 as that is what it will cost someone to acquire it from them...and that"s basically "selling" it.

Another reason I asked was that now the seats are held in a tank that anyone who may have satted but find that they cannot make it may in fact be able to unregister and receive the monies as opposed to going down the seat transfer route, giving the APAT team less work to do.

Geo

I"d already said that I have no problem with anyone who cannot make it selling their seat via the exchange board (which AFAIK is the only approved route).
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2010, 15:30:08 PM »
The holding tank is a locked tourney.  Once you qualify through a satellite, then you cannot unregister.

Once the remaining seats are sold on Thursday, we will have a complete player list for the event.

Should anyone have to give up their seat due to unforeseen circumstances, then the Seat Exchange Board will be available on the forum as it was for the previous season.

I"m not sure whether Betfair Poker will allow you to qualify for the same holding tank more than once, but these satellites are for qualifiying for an APAT live event, so once you have got your seat, there is no reason to try and satellite in again.  All you are doing is taking away the opportunity for another member to qualify.

Leigh

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2010, 16:06:35 PM »

The question wasn"t about selling their seat, it was whether they could unregister and take the money and play further sats in the hope that they gain a seat again. if not, could they then re-register into the tank or would they have to go via the clickfest route. By only quoting part of my question you have effectively gave an answer to a question that was not asked.

But that"s what is effectively happening. Why would they play the sat if they weren"t going to play in the main comp? If they unregister (without being unable to make it) then they have denied a potential satellite qualifier a shot and increased the price of the seat from $20 to $120 as that is what it will cost someone to acquire it from them...and that"s basically "selling" it.

Another reason I asked was that now the seats are held in a tank that anyone who may have satted but find that they cannot make it may in fact be able to unregister and receive the monies as opposed to going down the seat transfer route, giving the APAT team less work to do.

Geo

I"d already said that I have no problem with anyone who cannot make it selling their seat via the exchange board (which AFAIK is the only approved route).

You must be reading something else mate, I"ve never stated they had no intention of playing the live game.

Thanks for the response Leigh.

Geo

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2010, 16:14:57 PM »

You must be reading something else mate, I"ve never stated they had no intention of playing the live game.
Geo

I know this is all a "what if" discussion (and Leigh's clarified it all) but if they satellite and then unregister to take the cash (which was the subject of your question)...that"s not having the intention to play the main comp...that"s satelliting to cash out.

...and if they unregister to satellite in again...I ask the question, why aren"t they just using the seat and playing another "non-APAT" tourney?

Anyway...[/whatever]

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2010, 16:30:31 PM »

Geo

I know this is all a "what if" discussion (and Leigh's clarified it all) but if they satellite and then unregister to take the cash (which was the subject of your question)...that"s not having the intention to play the main comp...that"s satelliting to cash out.

...and if they unregister to satellite in again...I ask the question, why aren"t they just using the seat and playing another "non-APAT" tourney?

Anyway...[/whatever]

I know this is going over and over again,  I think what you are missing is that some people who are good at playing sats may want/try to play them as they may feel like they have an edge in APAT games or just in sats in general. They do this on a weekly basis on other sites like Stars & FT and use the cash/tournament $ to play other games. Its not something that is uncommon in online poker. And in all honesty it does create extra seats..

APAT stance is clear from last season i believe, but a question was asked if it was possible.

rivertaff

• Silver Member
    • The Green Deal Wales
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2010, 16:41:39 PM »
If someone wins a seat thro a sat it cost $20.

If they unregister they receive $120.

If they win a seat through another sat is irrelevant. The seat won at the first sat is now gone forever and can only be bought at $120.

This is acceptable on commercial sites, but is against the spirit of APAT - (IMHO)
The Green Deal Wales - www.thegreendealwales.com

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2010, 17:12:19 PM »
Should I not have played the satellite as I won"t know for certain that I can play the event until March 14th? I see it as a good chance to let the Betfair software deal with APAT administrative work. Whoever is in the holding tank on the day of the event gets to play, seems reasonable to me.

NoCash

• Bronze Member
Re: TONIGHTS $20 SATELLITE ON BETFAIR
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2010, 17:22:44 PM »

another 20 bucks added towards someone elses seat

see you later

Thanks appreciate it  ;D

Wow...that almost never works  ;D Bring on Swansea. Lovely.
APAT World Amateur Champion 2011/12
APAT European Omaha Amateur Champion 2012

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2010, 17:34:44 PM »

Should I not have played the satellite as I won"t know for certain that I can play the event until March 14th? I see it as a good chance to let the Betfair software deal with APAT administrative work. Whoever is in the holding tank on the day of the event gets to play, seems reasonable to me.

You are fine to play the satellites.  If you win a seat, congratulations.  If you then find that you can"t make the event, then the seat exchange is there to assist you in selling your seat at face value to anothe member.

Not a problem.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2010, 21:17:15 PM »

Should I not have played the satellite as I won"t know for certain that I can play the event until March 14th? I see it as a good chance to let the Betfair software deal with APAT administrative work.

No, in  that case, you played the sat with the intention of playing the main comp. In the situation Geo was discussing, the player was DELIBERATELY playing the sat with sole intention of making a profit.

If that was the intention then that player should GTFO and play a "non-APAT" tourney and win that to make their profit.

Regardless, rivertaff nailed it.

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2010, 21:27:44 PM »

The holding tank is a locked tourney.  Once you qualify through a satellite, then you cannot unregister.

Once the remaining seats are sold on Thursday, we will have a complete player list for the event.

Should anyone have to give up their seat due to unforeseen circumstances, then the Seat Exchange Board will be available on the forum as it was for the previous season.

I"m not sure whether Betfair Poker will allow you to qualify for the same holding tank more than once, but these satellites are for qualifiying for an APAT live event, so once you have got your seat, there is no reason to try and satellite in again.  All you are doing is taking away the opportunity for another member to qualify.

Leigh

I think you will find that this happened last year, and there was a long thread on whether it was etical or not. In fact I got chewed off for trying to get a response from someone who had qualified in the Monday comp, and was playing in the same comp the following evening. His explanation was that he entered both comps together therefore was going to play.
This brought about a discussion that his playing style was subject to change, because he had already qualified

Fair point in my view

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2010, 21:32:40 PM »

Should I not have played the satellite as I won"t know for certain that I can play the event until March 14th? I see it as a good chance to let the Betfair software deal with APAT administrative work.

No, in  that case, you played the sat with the intention of playing the main comp. In the situation Geo was discussing, the player was DELIBERATELY playing the sat with sole intention of making a profit.
If that was the intention then that player should GTFO and play a "non-APAT" tourney and win that to make their profit.

Regardless, rivertaff nailed it.

Weeeeee, you finally got it mate and for what its worth I agree.

I was actually asked the question from someone else and thought it against the ethos of APAT and said so but thought it worth having clarified.

Geo

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2010, 21:50:14 PM »

Weeeeee, you finally got it mate and for what its worth I agree.

Geo

[/slaps forehead]  ;D

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2010, 21:53:07 PM »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013