Author Topic: APAT Staking Exchange - Discussion  (Read 107275 times)

calella

Re: APAT Staking Board
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 13:23:27 PM »
Interesting topic and even though i"m new to the forum and it"s my first post then i think it"s a very good idea to have a staking thread.

I use other forums and having decided to play next week"s Genting Poker Series game in Edinburgh thought I would post a staking thread and was delighted to get 50% backing which will i think improve my focus on the game.

Anyway, enjoying the site and look forward to playing in the Scottish game in October.

waltypies

• Bronze Member
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 13:33:00 PM »

All people should be staked via BANK TRANSFER only.  By doing this if there is a problem you have more rights.  If done via stars etc you do not have a leg to stand on.

Disagree with this. If you are concerned then you can make it clear in the stake that you will only accept bank transfer.

Then there is the question of markups...?.....

Again getting way ahead.I was thinking of some kind of uniformity to keep in line with the apat ethos...

But for another time that debate

Uniformity in staking appears to be difficult. I think the idea is APAT provide an area on the forum to stake players / get staked rather than actually deciding the rules each stake must follow (except obvious groundrules).

I only say this just incase there is a dispute etc.  By accepting the money in your bank your agreeing to the terms.  If done via stars etc there is no legal obligation

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 13:34:49 PM »
Good idea and should be allowed to include selling bits of "added value" seats.

The risk of being grimmed is lower in a community such as APAT where the majority of people know each other from real life meetings.
The only issue I would have is the tendency for staking threads to occasionally drift into argumentative mode when questions are raised over whether markups are set at an appropriate level...
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 13:41:59 PM »
Overall, my answer would be "YES" because it will, IMO, enhance the forum and potentially drive new visitors and/or membership.

Agree with this. I would be in favour of a reasonably strict post count required to request staking - when 2+2 went down The Hendon Mob forum picked up a few requests from randoms and it didn"t quite feel right. Regardless of that I think it"d best to encourage people to be involved in the forum anyway.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 13:43:39 PM »
I was actually discussing this at the weekend and while we thought it a good idea we could see why APAT were not doing it.
IMHO it would definitely enhance the forum, and those who don"t want to get involved don"t have to.

ps not sure about the minimum 300 posts thing, this could well see me adding nothing to threads while randomly throwing in a "This" or "+1" or "LOL"
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 13:45:34 PM »
ps not sure about the minimum 300 posts thing, this could well see me adding nothing to threads while randomly throwing in a "This" or "+1" or "LOL"

LOL
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 13:59:12 PM »
The post count number would be purely arbitrary and I think 300 is probably too high for APAT. I don"t know what the average is but my guess is that 50 - 100 would serve.

Of course anyone asking for a stake should be able to produce verifiable evidence of results.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 14:04:52 PM »

APAT have never previously allowed staking on the forum, but we"d like to hear what the members think.  Our concerns have always been around members being defrauded in some form of way.  That said we"ve operated the seat exchange for several years and I"m not aware of a transaction not completing as expected.  However the potential values involved in staking are quite different, so I"d welcome your feedback.

Maybe Rich can also tell us a bit about how it works on blonde?

if it is moderated as best as you can to provide protection from wrongdoers then i can"t see why not tbh....

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 14:06:59 PM »
I have staked people before and it is good to be able to assist people to play memorable games that otherwise are out of their bankroll. Although, historically, I have had one overriding criteria, I needed to know them personally. A thread like this would be a good thing I think, in that it would enable my historical reticence to be relaxed.  8)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 14:12:56 PM »

APAT have never previously allowed staking on the forum, but we"d like to hear what the members think.  Our concerns have always been around members being defrauded in some form of way.  That said we"ve operated the seat exchange for several years and I"m not aware of a transaction not completing as expected.  However the potential values involved in staking are quite different, so I"d welcome your feedback.

Maybe Rich can also tell us a bit about how it works on blonde?

if it is moderated as best as you can to provide protection from wrongdoers then i can"t see why not tbh....

Well there"s the thing....guidelines could be laid down that make sense but ultimately if a player lands a large payout it will require trust and honesty to ensure that money finds its way back to his / her staking team.  I have a great degree of confidence in our community, and the results at blonde appear positive, but there is always the possibility that a winner will not repay.  
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 14:13:03 PM »

The post count number would be purely arbitrary and I think 300 is probably too high for APAT. I don"t know what the average is but my guess is that 50 - 100 would serve.

Of course anyone asking for a stake should be able to produce verifiable evidence of results.

I think 50-100 is too low.  The one thing the minimum post part protects from is people signing up for an account and attling through a quick 50posts just to get staking.  Also, the more posts by a member, the more the potential stakers will know about them, which is obv a good thing.

Think its a good idea to have a staking board, but think it would need to be policed to a certain extent.  Blondes board is a great example of a staking board done well, with the community self-policing the threads, but tht has only come with experience.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 14:19:38 PM »

I think 50-100 is too low.  The one thing the minimum post part protects from is people signing up for an account and attling through a quick 50posts just to get staking.  Also, the more posts by a member, the more the potential stakers will know about them, which is obv a good thing.

Think its a good idea to have a staking board, but think it would need to be policed to a certain extent.  Blondes board is a great example of a staking board done well, with the community self-policing the threads, but tht has only come with experience.

And post that just says "+1" or "^^This" should be ignored for post count purposes... Sorry Daniel!! :)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 14:42:44 PM »

I have no idea of the average number of posts per member but my guess is that it is significantly less than 300, no doubt Des can confirm or not.

As I said, the number is entirely arbitrary. Take "Sugar Free" who I"ve known for years, played with and shared the same Team games in APAT. Is he vocal on the APAT forum, not with only 75 posts he"s not but would I trust him with a stake....probably (he"s not THAT good  ;D).

In case of any doubt, one can always PM a mod who can review a user"s post and see of they are all +1s, LOL etc and reply.

In most cases, I don"t think this will be a problem. Let"s JFDI.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 15:00:27 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 14:50:52 PM »

Good guess Paulie, just done a quick database query.

For those members who have posted (postcount > 0) then the average is 56.74 per member x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 15:01:48 PM »

Good guess Paulie, just done a quick database query.

For those members who have posted (postcount > 0) then the average is 56.74 per member x

No idea how to do this, but try searching for >10 and weed out the very new and the ones who posted once or twice and then went dormant...
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019