Author Topic: Loser's Ink - The Jaxie Towers' 10k Challenge  (Read 94613 times)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
Re: Loser's Ink - The Jaxie Towers' 10k Challenge
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2012, 20:23:00 PM »
Good grief...he"s such a geek.

NO MATHS ALLOWED!!!  (Unless it gives me some version of an advantage obv)

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2012, 21:02:16 PM »
This site http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/agtimes gives predicted times for age and gender.

100% times are 30:27 for a 49 y-o male and 31:46 for a 42 y-o female. So our respective %ages are 30:27 / my race time x 100 and 31:46 / your race time x 100. Highest %age wins the challenge.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2012, 21:10:01 PM »
I like the gorilla suit better.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2012, 21:11:42 PM »
Fine if we both wear them. So, do you want the couple of minutes head start I"m offering or not?

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2012, 21:12:56 PM »
Jack.. I"m not sure, but there might be a problem with that website, I entered 100% for 41 year old male and its saying that I should of done the Great North Run in 1:02:11.. and doing 4ish minute miles all the way round.. the guy who won it did it in 59 minutes..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/19615683

Either that.. or its 1 day 2 hours 11 minutes.. then I don"t feel so bad :)

x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2012, 21:15:17 PM »

This site http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/agtimes gives predicted times for age and gender.

100% times are 30:27 for a 49 y-o male and 31:46 for a 42 y-o female. So our respective %ages are 30:27 / my race time x 100 and 31:46 / your race time x 100. Highest %age wins the challenge.

erm 3 minute kilometre - fastest man on the planet  ;D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2012, 21:15:56 PM »
So you reckon he should go as a gorilla, Phil?

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2012, 21:19:13 PM »
ffs - where"s boshi when you need him.

I"m not saying we need to run it in those times. I"m saying those are 100% times. Our times compared to those will give us each a percentage which will be comparable. We can take twice or even three times as long. It doesn"t matter. I"m just trying to level the playing field.

FWIW I believe the 100% time is close to world record pace (allowing for age) - not planning on getting too close tbh

What is age grading?
Age grading is a way to adjust an athlete's performance according to age and gender. The age-grading tables were developed by the World Association of Veteran Athletes, the world governing body for track and field, long distance running and race walking for veteran athletes. The tables were first published in 1989.

The tables work by recording the world record performance for each age at each distance, for men and women. Where necessary, the world record performances are estimated.

For example, the world record for a 53 year old woman running a 10km is 35:01. So if a 53 year old woman finishes a 10km in 45:18, she has an age-graded performance of 77.3% (which is 35:01 divided by 45:18). The wide availability of age-grading tables has allowed older runners to compete on even terms with younger generations. In many running clubs today, the age-graded champion earns as much, if not more, recognition as the outright (non-age adjusted) winner of the event.

What is age-grading used for?
Age grading can be used to compare performances across different ages and sexes; track your own performance over time; identify your best events; set goals for current and future years; and identify your best ever performance.

You can also use age-grading to predict your race performance. Essentially, this equivalent to assuming that as the distance increases, your average speed will go down, in proportion to the speed of world records at those distances. This seems a surprisingly
accurate assumption for many runners, provided they train for the distances concerned.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 21:24:39 PM by technolog »

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »

I always imagine Jack in a sailors outfit.. officer and a gentleman style.. but that might be just me  ;) x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »

I always imagine Jack in a sailors outfit.. officer and a gentleman style.. but that might be just me  ;) x

LMAOOOO!!!  

Ok then, I"m flexible.  Sailor"s outfit it is.

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

LMAOOOO!!!  

Ok then, I"m flexible.  Sailor"s outfit or any other fecking outfit it isn"t.

FYP

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
We"ve had two days of pure recklessness on the diet front and I managed to gain 1.5 pounds back while Jack gained 3.  To be honest, I didn"t feel great after last night"s feast.  It"s too much for me now that I"ve got the body used to "trimming ways".  I"ll have the odd thing as and when I want, but won"t be making it a mission (or a requirement) to have rubbish every day.  Don"t need three course meals.  Can"t manage them anyway without feeling sick after.  Don"t really even need two, so I"m going to listen to my body and hopefully the weight will keep falling off. 

With all that said...we"re off to America!!!  Taking Jack to meet the rest of the Laxie clan in Ohio, God help him.  I"m staying a bit longer than he is, so I"ve more time to try all those lovely foods I"ve missed for so long.  Don"t need to cram the lot into one week and hopefully won"t gain much, if any, as a result.  Mom has a home gym - so no excuses!  Jack isn"t so lucky.  He"s only got 10 days to get the lot in, so I reckon he might gain a few.  Will post weigh in results when we get back.  Fingers crossed!!!   :D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2012, 00:26:50 AM »
The Cleveland Browns have lost every game this season.  Then Jack turns up...

AND THEY WIN!!!   ;D

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
I don"t believe in coincidences so VWP Jack
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2012, 18:29:28 PM »
Team Jaxie have just paid the entry fee for the 10k race in Nottingham on 18th May.   :o

http://www.rwtrailblazer.co.uk/notts.html

Our "wave" starts running at noon.  There"s music, live mc, beer tent, food, drink and kids activites if any of ya want to join us on the day for a laugh.  Don"t worry...ya don"t have to run.  Just save us a beer at the end.   :D

Will get the charity page up and running in a bit, but it"s official now...we"re off and running!