Author Topic: Team Play at The Home Internationals  (Read 8622 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Team Play at The Home Internationals
« on: November 18, 2012, 22:16:50 PM »
I know this is an oft debated subject but I wanted to start a discussion around "team play" or "soft play" in the MTT element of the Home Internationals ahead of the event itself.

In my opinion the team element takes precedent over anything else and as such certian things which may be perceived as soft play, should be accepted.

For example, when teammates get Heads Up in a pot, then in my opinion no more chips should go into the pot - I just don"t see the point. When there"s a third player involved then it"s business as usual, with no collusion between teammate, which to me should never be allowed or encouraged.

As another example, if a teammate shoves on your BB, when under normal circumstances you would be "priced in" I think you should fold as you either cap your teammate"s points at this stage therefore damaging the team"s overall score or you make a dent in your own stack.

Sometimes the above may be seen as a chip pass but surely if a bigger stack goes, call, call, call, fold then this is more of a chip pass and should not be allowed.

I raise these points now because I want people to see where I"m coming from and encourage debate before the event so that we all go into the tournament with a clear view.
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Team Play at The Home Internationals
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 22:37:49 PM »
Poker is not really a team game IMO

So when a team format is introduced then certain rules that are strictly enforced in normal games should be "relaxed"

I think collusion pretty much goes on anyway and as long as it isn"t discussed at the table during a hand then it"s fine.

Typical examples are the example JP gave, plus also raising to fold to a team mates 3 bet no matter the cards/odds. These may not look good, but that"s team poker IMO

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 23:39:28 PM »

So when a team format is introduced then certain rules that are strictly enforced in normal games should be "relaxed"

I think collusion pretty much goes on anyway and as long as it isn"t discussed at the table during a hand then it"s fine.

Typical examples are the example JP gave, plus also raising to fold to a team mates 3 bet no matter the cards/odds. These may not look good, but that"s team poker IMO

We had this in the online team comp., and as I"ve mentioned previously, it bought the game into disrepute IMHO.

We had 2 players still in, and they had 3, 1 is the short stack and the 2 largest stacks, and obv., this could arise again in Stoke.

On their short stacks BB, their first player makes a big raise and player 2 calls. We both have to pass and the BB shoves. The other 2 players then fold. This allowed the short stack to get right back in the game and completely changed the way the game panned out.

I think we have no choice but to allow this as there is no real way to stop it.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 00:43:58 AM »

We had this in the online team comp., and as I"ve mentioned previously, it bought the game into disrepute IMHO.

Totally different though Rich, there is a large individual element to the National League the Home Nations is entirely a team game. There is no personal advantage to knocking out a team mate. I think soft play within the teams should be fine.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
Yep, National league is not a good example due to the individual element. The incident you described rich is OOL in the NL, but would be fine in the home internationals
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
I guess this is the annual thread to discuss the merits of team poker - it generally appears on the forum at least once a year.

Soft play, chip dumping, etc, are all part of this strange team game concept - team poker is about carrying as many players as deep as possible. There"s no point getting upset when it happens, or debating it"s legality or the morality of it... rather we should all accept it, embrace it, and learn to do it better than the other teams.

What really frustrates me though is when a player open raises, his shortstacked team mate shoves, and the opening player then timebanks before folding to try and make it look like there"s a decision to be made..... everyone knows what"s happening, there"s no need to try and disguise it.

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »

Totally different though Rich, there is a large individual element to the National League the Home Nations is entirely a team game. There is no personal advantage to knocking out a team mate. I think soft play within the teams should be fine.

Rich is talking about the online cup, not the league, where there was no individual element, it was all team. He"s got the situation slightly wrong in the positionings (it was big stacks on button and SB, small stack BB so his team had no chance to interject on the "action") but the situation did arise when his team did just that - BB was short stack, UTG and UTG +1 both limped (same team) presumably to fold on BB shove. Knowing they were limping light I made a big raise and took down the blinds and the limps. What I"m saying is if you know what"s happening you can take advantage, providing the seat positions are in your favour.
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »

..........What I"m saying is if you know what"s happening you can take advantage......

Spot on

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »

..........What I"m saying is if you know what"s happening you can take advantage......

Spot on

Sigh.. There goes my move!!.. 100% correct Matt
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 13:26:38 PM »

Rich is talking about the online cup, not the league, where there was no individual element, it was all team. He"s got the situation slightly wrong in the positionings (it was big stacks on button and SB, small stack BB so his team had no chance to interject on the "action") but the situation did arise when his team did just that - BB was short stack, UTG and UTG +1 both limped (same team) presumably to fold on BB shove. Knowing they were limping light I made a big raise and took down the blinds and the limps. What I"m saying is if you know what"s happening you can take advantage, providing the seat positions are in your favour.

Matt is quite correct and we obv., had too do the same thing, but hated doing so. Just have to accept this as part of the game and enjoy it. The bar is always open ;D
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 19:02:02 PM »
This will only affect the MTT yes? Is this still massively weighted in comparison to the SnG"s?

I will be actively encouraging my team to put the team first, but then I trust they are all sensible enough to realise this for themselves and make the right choices.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 19:48:34 PM »

This will only affect the MTT yes? Is this still massively weighted in comparison to the SnG"s?

I will be actively encouraging my team to put the team first, but then I trust they are all sensible enough to realise this for themselves and make the right choices.

I"m sure that they will follow your lead, "Captain of C"
APAT Season 6 statistics

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 20:23:55 PM »
Forgot to mention in my application that i have a history of knocking out my team mates :) i called dons all in last year cos i had qq and in a moment of stupidity said "call" so stupid things can happen, although probably only when i"m involved. ;D
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 20:44:07 PM »

I"m sure that they will follow your lead, "Captain of C"

As long as he"s heading towards the bar...I"m right behind him.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 21:26:45 PM »
If it comes to this scrap the team games imo.