Author Topic: UK and Ireland Home Internationals  (Read 16754 times)

MarkTheShark

• Platinum Member
    • The Pokeriety
Re: UK and Ireland Home Internationals
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »

You know...like the Premier League...you win the most games, you finish top..you"re the best.

Or.....

like the Championship, where you finish 3rd and can be 18 points clear of 6th, but still have to go through the Playoffs to get promotion where in past seasons youd have been automatically promoted!

Pros and Cons for both IMO - and you can give examples of outcomes which can re-enforce either argument.

But ultimately, the SNGs are for qualification - HU games for the medals - a la driving for show, putting for dough. Its the format, same for all, all aware of it going in to it, none can complain thereafter.

Very much looking forward to it - absolutely love team games.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »

Not for the first time I agree with Paulie here. I think we are both in a minority though and the heads up matches make for a great finish from a spectators point of view. As a player I would rather most points take it.

As a spectator, I agree with the pair of you.  I don"t like seeing the team who crushed all the way through, getting robbed of their rightful medal at the very end over a heads up match.

Pretty sure the fact it"s same rule for all is the only reason it"s not really been discussed.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »

You know...like the Premier League...you win the most games, you finish top..you"re the best.

Or.....

like the Championship, where you finish 3rd and can be 18 points clear of 6th, but still have to go through the Playoffs to get promotion where in past seasons youd have been automatically promoted!

Pros and Cons for both IMO - and you can give examples of outcomes which can re-enforce either argument.

But ultimately, the SNGs are for qualification - HU games for the medals - a la driving for show, putting for dough. Its the format, same for all, all aware of it going in to it, none can complain thereafter.

Mark,

Do we have an answer to the original points though?

What if the HU goes 2-2...what will be the deciding factor?

You already know my opinion :)
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

kohan

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

paulie i went to player briefing link you put up and it says top  2 teams play h/u for gold/silver  and 3rd /4th  play h/u for bronze

I know...the question was..."What if the HU are 2-2...Who gets the Gold?"

My answer was my opinion that the team (of the two) with the most points. I am sure APAT will have other ideas.

I"m not in favour of HU matches deciding medal positions...I would much prefer a simple "most points = Gold" system.

Under the current system, the much better team who have a monster points lead having won every STT could have Gold snatched from them because they lost by a single HU match.

That just doesn"t sit right with me.

sorry paulie i misread ur comment i thought it was going to be an mtt finale
2013 wcoap  heads up bronze medalist
2013 home internatiols team event silver medalist
2014  online english silver medalist
2015  wcoap team event silver medalist
2016  wcoap  7 card stud silver medalist
2016european c/ships bronze medalist
2017  uk team c/ship  gold medalist

MarkTheShark

• Platinum Member
    • The Pokeriety
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »

Or.....

Mark,

Certainly do mate - and as with all opinions - respected it is also.

I dont know if there is a precedent for this - but my view would be that if the Heads Up for either of the medals game goes 2-2, then the Team Captains playoff in a sudden death HU game for the win.

Id give the reason for this to be that if the team who has scored the most points goes 2-1 up, they have already won the game - even should it be tied 2-2 they would win by virtue of the points gained - this in essence makes it a dead rubber. You may argue that that is well deserved as they have placed higher than their opponent - well remember that may also have been decided by a tiebreaker - or indeed by the smallest of margins due to sick beat or the coldest of hands.

So i think unless a team wins 3 of the 4 HU games, the 4th game must count. And if it is then tied, its down to the Team Captains to bring it home for their team in the same format as has or would have decided the medal places.

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »

Or.....

Mark,

I dont know if there is a precedent for this - but my view would be that if the Heads Up for either of the medals game goes 2-2, then the Team Captains playoff in a sudden death HU game for the win.

Id give the reason for this to be that if the team who has scored the most points goes 2-1 up, they have already won the game - even should it be tied 2-2 they would win by virtue of the points gained - this in essence makes it a dead rubber. You may argue that that is well deserved as they have placed higher than their opponent - well remember that may also have been decided by a tiebreaker - or indeed by the smallest of margins due to sick beat or the coldest of hands.

So i think unless a team wins 3 of the 4 HU games, the 4th game must count. And if it is then tied, its down to the Team Captains to bring it home for their team in the same format as has or would have decided the medal places.

in Stu we trust!  :o
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »

Or.....

Mark,

+1

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

Or.....

Mark,

in Stu we trust!  :o

:-\
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »

Good points all round...

I think in the past we"ve had teams of 5 [?] (my memory fades..it"s a beer thing) so this wasn"t an issue.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 23:26:15 PM »
Surely the sudden death should be captains choice if we are going with a sudden death.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 23:37:24 PM »

Good points all round...

I think in the past we"ve had teams of 5 [?] (my memory fades..it"s a beer thing) so this wasn"t an issue.

In the past there have only been three Heads-Ups in the play-offs.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

MarkTheShark

• Platinum Member
    • The Pokeriety
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »

Surely the sudden death should be captains choice if we are going with a sudden death.

Disagree - in what will be a pressurised and intense situation, i think it the role of the Captain to "step up" and assume the responsibility - not pass it to a team member. They"ve been appointed or asked to be Captain for a reason - time to show why!

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

Disagree - in what will be a pressurised and intense situation, i think it the role of the Captain to "step up" and assume the responsibility - not pass it to a team member. They"ve been appointed or asked to be Captain for a reason - time to show why!

Carl was drinking heavily?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »

I Disagree with your disagreement  ;)

Depends on the team. To use an analogy. I am Newport County fan and our captain is David Pipe who is also one of our best players and first name on the team sheet every week. He is a defender who runs his ass off every week for the team. However if the playoff final had gone to penalties I would have preferred not to see him take one as scoring goals is not his role in the team. This does not mean he is less of a leader or less of a player. This is just not his natural role in the team.

In APAT Poker. Let"s says Wales are playing England in the final of the WCOAP in March and it is tied 2-2 (obviously a silly situation as in reality Wales would already have won but it makes the point). Why would I pick myself to play a heads up match (I am bad at them this is not the form of poker I play) over potentially somebody like David Ruddling-Smith for example who is good. It"s an international event all players need to be able to handle this situation.

It should be the captain choice not APAT's choice who plays this in my opinion.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
Please stop with the football analogies. Why can there never be a discussion about poker on this forum without people suggesting what would happen in a slightly similar, but totally irrelevant, situation in football?

Please discuss the merits of your argument in the context of poker, not bloody football.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013