Author Topic: Whaling about  (Read 16928 times)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
Re: Whaling about
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 14:32:14 PM »
Using a HH converter for these makes it so much easier to analyse.

Is it just me that finds multiple hands per thread very confusing?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 700/1,400 Blinds 175 Ante (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t37,320)
BB (t24,254)
UTG (t49,856)
UTG+1 (t64,221)
MP1 (t77,299)
MP2 (t19,435)
CO (t51,026)
Hero (Button) (t87,625)

Hero"s M: 25.04

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 7
4 folds, CO raises to t2,800, Hero raises to t5,895, 2 folds, CO calls t3,095

Flop: (t15,290) 8, 7, Q (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets t6,885, CO calls t6,885

Turn: (t29,060) 3 (2 players)
CO bets t2,800, Hero calls t2,800

River: (t34,660) 4 (2 players)
CO bets t4,200, Hero raises to t10,015, CO calls t5,815

Total pot: t54,690

Hand 1: I call river but probably check back turn, is turn bet for value? Also, I suspect you need to be more diligent with note taking. To even categorise as Loose passive - Tight aggressive can be a big help.

Hand 2: Turn flat to villains weak "where am I" bet is like a green light to these types. On a positive note, you have to be putting yourself in these spots to improve your postflop game.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 14:53:46 PM »
Very happy value betting that turn. I think that, given player type, lower pocket pairs are not folding, can value bet lots of rivers too albeit thinly.. Also helps protect my hand against broadway combos on the turn.

Hand 2 is just a car crash. Raise turn jam river maybe!  

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 15:41:27 PM »
all poker players DO NOT play an unexploitable strategy, THE COUNTER STRATEGY isn"t to try bluffing unexploitably, the decision tree for this is about a billion billion......
u exploit for a greater profit by playing a non-optimal exploitable counterstrategy but for that u need to know the strategy a player is using to determine the appropriate counterstrategy? plus what if your opponent/s change there strategy?

so are $4 mtts the best place to get a good idea of one single opponents frequencies and habits?

imho in mtts u can play a solid type style, a high variance try to win chips style so u can bluff a bit more lol to gain or lose later or a mixture of both strategies...

the hand above [2nd one] is ok"ish until the the river imo, quote - His hand just looked a lot like what it was - a one pair hand trying to get to showdown.
so the river re-raise sizing is way to small imho.... and remember to embrace and accept that things will go tits up when u are trying to use a high variance try to win chips style [lag or maniac whatver u want to call it].. :)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 15:58:01 PM »

Very happy value betting that turn. I think that, given player type, lower pocket pairs are not folding, can value bet lots of rivers too albeit thinly.. Also helps protect my hand against broadway combos on the turn.

My impression is that 3b pots tend to play out more straightforwardly postflop, you really think there are 3 streets of value here with bottom pair.

I understand that 99-JJ will peel the flop here but I would defo expect all broadway hands other than Qx and flush draws to check fold the flop, even in the hands of this obvious station.

Maybe this being a value line explains the very small sizing but we really should be trying to bluff versus villains extremely weak turn donk, there are ~23bb"s in the pot at that stage.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 18:12:36 PM »

all poker players DO NOT play an unexploitable strategy, THE COUNTER STRATEGY isn"t to try bluffing unexploitably, the decision tree for this is about a billion billion......

Wouldn"t worry about that, that was just an in-joke ;)

Can"t add to what already has been said. Hand 2 is FPS in the wrong tournament without reads as you. It"s not a terrible idea as Brendan says, and I agree with Dean in that I prefer raising turn and can"t expect a fold on the river.

Whilst I like the blocker and the equity aspect of 3b bluffing with Ax, I do prefer a wheel kicker and suited.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 18:13:55 PM »

I have hired Perry as my new poker/life coach. At the moment we are working on bluffing unexploitably..

:D :D :D

Nut response. Wd Sir.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

CW86

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • King slug
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 18:21:10 PM »

I have hired Perry as my new poker/life coach. At the moment we are working on bluffing unexploitably..

:D :D :D

Nut response. Wd Sir.

^ +1 He is worth every penny :)
TEAM GOTHAM (Robin....ffs)

Riddled

• Staker Licensed Player
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 19:25:17 PM »

I assume his two small turn and river bets are to try and control the pot size. Did you deem these to be block bets at the time?

His hand just looked a lot like what it was - a one pair hand trying to get to showdown.

I would play some diamond flush draws like that on the turn. I wouldn"t want to raise fold them and raise - get it in might be a bit thin so would call relatively often then raise river when the flush hits.

I don"t think the line is ridiculous, a tad spewy though. I thought he would struggle to call with a queen, let alone an 8. Turns out he was a fish and didn"t fold any pairs ever. I probably shouldn"t have done this when he had been at the table about 3 hands and I was readless.

I"d have struggled to fold a pair getting about 8-1 on the river. If you are gonna bluff a fish you have really got to make it stick and probably should bluff raise the turn bet rather than the really small raise on the river.

But preflop is so unnecessary with what is a terrible hand, but I guess you know this.

Oh, I think pre is ok.. seems like a decent hand to have as a 3bet bluff, blockers... will have position when called. . It all goes wrong from flop onwards, not 3balling random aces like this that often though.

Errrrrr.....

I post these hands so I am not accused of being a huge nit any more! I do play some hands well - honest.

Send more money, k thanks bye.

Have you been speaking to Perry?

Perry"s 10 point guide to bluffing unexploitably

Lesson 1 -Always be out of position

Lesson 2 - If you do find yourself in position, take your thinking level, deduct 1, continue to think at this level for the remainder of the hand.

Lesson 3 - If your not already all in, your not trying hard enough.

Lesson 4 - Always wear a jaunty hat, even when playing online.

Lesson 5 - It never hurts to start a bluff by putting the chips in and then winking at your opponent.

Lesson 6 - If you make double reverse floating your standard line, it is no longer considered FPS.

Lesson 7 - If people say you suffer from FPS, you have probably out grown them as poker players.

Lesson 8 - By not looking at your cards, no-one can pick-up any physical tells, so never look, even at the board. In fact, just keep your eyes closed.

Lesson 9 - Never tell the truth about your hand, even if you have somehow found yourself in the unfortunate position having your cards face up. Just keep insisting that a mistake has occurred either with the establishment or the software.

Lesson 10 - On the rare occasion that one of your immense bluffs get picked off, grip your cards tightly and refuse to show them to anyone. Remember, all publicity is good publicity.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 19:38:22 PM »

I assume his two small turn and river bets are to try and control the pot size. Did you deem these to be block bets at the time?

His hand just looked a lot like what it was - a one pair hand trying to get to showdown.

I would play some diamond flush draws like that on the turn. I wouldn"t want to raise fold them and raise - get it in might be a bit thin so would call relatively often then raise river when the flush hits.

I don"t think the line is ridiculous, a tad spewy though. I thought he would struggle to call with a queen, let alone an 8. Turns out he was a fish and didn"t fold any pairs ever. I probably shouldn"t have done this when he had been at the table about 3 hands and I was readless.

I"d have struggled to fold a pair getting about 8-1 on the river. If you are gonna bluff a fish you have really got to make it stick and probably should bluff raise the turn bet rather than the really small raise on the river.

But preflop is so unnecessary with what is a terrible hand, but I guess you know this.

Oh, I think pre is ok.. seems like a decent hand to have as a 3bet bluff, blockers... will have position when called. . It all goes wrong from flop onwards, not 3balling random aces like this that often though.

Errrrrr.....

I post these hands so I am not accused of being a huge nit any more! I do play some hands well - honest.

Lesson 2 - If you do find yourself in position, take your thinking level, deduct 1, continue to think at this level for the remainder of the hand.

Lesson 5 - It never hurts to start a bluff by putting the chips in and then winking at your opponent.

Lesson 6 - If you make double reverse floating your standard line, it is no longer considered FPS.

Lesson 7 - If people say you suffer from FPS, you have probably out grown them as poker players.

Lesson 8 - By not looking at your cards, no-one can pick-up any physical tells, so never look, even at the board. In fact, just keep your eyes closed.

Lesson 9 - Never tell the truth about your hand, even if you have somehow found yourself in the unfortunate position having your cards face up. Just keep insisting that a mistake has occurred either with the establishment or the software.

Lesson 10 - On the rare occasion that one of your immense bluffs get picked off, grip your cards tightly and refuse to show them to anyone. Remember, all publicity is good publicity.

Deserves own thread.

I"m looking forward to Vegas :)
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

CW86

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • King slug
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 20:31:08 PM »

Errrrrr.....

6 is utter genius. Love it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 20:40:30 PM by CW86 »
TEAM GOTHAM (Robin....ffs)

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 20:47:25 PM »
No. 6 is now on my white board above PC
Team Gotham - The Joker

Serial APAT Underachiever