Author Topic: An interesting decision  (Read 17157 times)

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
An interesting decision
« on: March 03, 2014, 17:36:05 PM »
I played the £20 deepstack at Leo"s in Liverpool on Saturday night and this pretty interesting scenario came up.

We"re playing 7 handed with 15 left in the tournament in total.

I"ve been playing fairly aggressively ( for me anyway) and have worked my way up to approx 120k at 2k/4k blinds.

I"ve raised frequently into the big stack at the table ( approx 350k), and left most of the rest alone... however, in this hand I"m raising into the tightest player on the table.

I"m UTG + 1, and raise to 9k with  8c 7c and the bb calls ( approx 200k)

The flop comes  ad1 2c 4c

The bb checks, what do you do now?
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
Re: An interesting decision
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 17:58:07 PM »
Aren"t there normally 3 cards on the flop? ;)

Looseish open, but depends how table has been playing. Anyway, regardless of the third card, I cbet whatever size cbet is your norm. I"d guess about 50-60% pot or so.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 18:07:45 PM »

Looseish open, but depends how table has been playing. Anyway, regardless of the third card, I cbet whatever size cbet is your norm. I"d guess about 50-60% pot or so.

I can see 3 cards on mine :/

Red Ace, 2 and 4 clubs
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 18:31:32 PM »
I think with the call I would put him on at least an  A s so just check for a free card in this instance ,
I think he"s gonna re-raise you so check
What u gonna do if you raise and he jams , so a free card would suit me at this time

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 18:48:25 PM »
How much are you planning to bet for him to be jamming?!!?!

I bet out for about 11k and expect him to fold fairly often. If he is a tight player do we not think he raises here with an A? Perfect flop for us to bet at IMO, as we actually have a bit of it.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 18:50:40 PM »
Min raise pre, the extra 1K won"t be affecting any villains decisions.

I like a c bet now.

30% pot seems plenty to me and again I don"t expect 30% or 50% to change villains decision much if at all. I don"t expect villain to be folding any one pair hands but can get lots of other hands to fold that we are happy to see folding now - broadways, connectors etc. Even a tight villain will be peeling a lot more than just Ax so that doesn"t worry me.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 20:53:33 PM »

Red Ace, 2 and 4 clubs

Strange, I just have the 2c and the 4c on mine (Chrome).

Now I"m looking for it I actually don"t have the Ace of Diamonds card image to click on now I"m making this post.

So with the Ace being there you can cbet towards the lower end of your bet sizing here if your intention is to pot control the hell out of this hand. If however you fancy a chance of a double up, then a half pot cbet gives you two 2/3 pot barrels to get it all in by the river.

If your opponent is the perceptive sort, then varying your bet sizing may not be the best idea - what has your standard been?
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 21:49:18 PM »

I think with the call I would put him on at least an  A s so just check for a free card in this instance ,
What u gonna do if you raise and he jams , so a free card would suit me at this time

This is scared thinking, A"s are a huge part of our perceived range so we should cbet 100% here, especially so since we have the flushdraw. The problem with the free card option is that our equity takes a big drop on missed turns.

If villain has a tightish 22+,ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,AJo+,KQo

we are ~40% on this flop. When we miss the turn that number is almost halved to ~ 22%.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 22:09:32 PM »
I"d have to have a read not to c-bet here, just don"t need to bet more than half pot, most live players at this level don"t really pick up bet sizes, just bet 8-9k again as a default
Looking forward to making my first day 2

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 22:42:10 PM »

Red Ace, 2 and 4 clubs

Strange, I just have the 2c and the 4c on mine (Chrome).

Now I"m looking for it I actually don"t have the Ace of Diamonds card image to click on now I"m making this post.

So with the Ace being there you can cbet towards the lower end of your bet sizing here if your intention is to pot control the hell out of this hand. If however you fancy a chance of a double up, then a half pot cbet gives you two 2/3 pot barrels to get it all in by the river.

If your opponent is the perceptive sort, then varying your bet sizing may not be the best idea - what has your standard been?

Every c-bet I"ve made has been between 45-65% of pot. There"s 20k+antes in the pot, so approx 24k in total.

Min raise pre, the extra 1K won"t be affecting any villains decisions.

I like a c bet now.

30% pot seems plenty to me and again I don"t expect 30% or 50% to change villains decision much if at all. I don"t expect villain to be folding any one pair hands but can get lots of other hands to fold that we are happy to see folding now - broadways, connectors etc. Even a tight villain will be peeling a lot more than just Ax so that doesn"t worry me.

I was min betting + a tiny bit every time I raised, therefore the reasoning in my bet sizing. 30% of pot to me seems a little small, as that would be in essence less than my initial raise?

How much are you planning to bet for him to be jamming?!!?!

I bet out for about 11k and expect him to fold fairly often. If he is a tight player do we not think he raises here with an A? Perfect flop for us to bet at IMO, as we actually have a bit of it.

That"s pretty much the reasoning I had in mind when I did c-bet.

If he jams in this instance, he"d be betting nearly 200k into a 24k~ + my bet size. He might 3 bet, call or fold, but I would never expect a jam in this instance.
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 17:57:01 PM »
I"m liking the feedback so far.

What happened next:

I did c-bet the flop to 13k, and after not a lot of thought, he reraises to 38k.

To me there"s a lot to think about here.

1) He"s seen the cards I"ve raised with a couple of times, I"ve been mega strong, and knowing that, thinks I may be trying it on?
2) He has Ax and thinks he can get me off the pot
3) He"s protecting a hand he has against the flush draw.
4) Compared to his previous bets, he"s made this one relatively quickly

The decision here obviously is: fold/call/raise/shove.

What"s the order we do the above?
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 19:06:33 PM »
Fold and its not close.

No where near deep enough to chase a flush draw with less than 100K back. Player as described has Ax a lot of the time here and is seeing top pair and looking to pile in money. Sets out there too.

If he has decided to bluff/semi bluff then he will often choose better flush draws than yours to do it with.

Smaller bets pre and on flop will give us all this information for that little bit cheaper as well.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 19:10:50 PM »
I know it sucks bet folding a flush draw but this does not make checking back the flop better either.

Assuming you jammed and he folded 9,10 of clubs or something...

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 19:26:34 PM »

Fold and its not close.

No where near deep enough to chase a flush draw with less than 100K back. Player as described has Ax a lot of the time here and is seeing top pair and looking to pile in money. Sets out there too.

If he has decided to bluff/semi bluff then he will often choose better flush draws than yours to do it with.

Smaller bets pre and on flop will give us all this information for that little bit cheaper as well.

This
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 22:13:22 PM »

Fold and its not close.

This

+1
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013