Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner-Runner  (Read 45576 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Re: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner-Runner
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
haha.. i"ll def carry on shoving that porridge into me bellys, ASDA do a syrup porridge for girls if that helps!!

Rest is also the key for me.  But it"s a tricky business.  I need to get the miles in, and need to increase the number of miles I run in a week - but at the same time I can"t increase it too quickly as I need to take days off for rest/recovery, and also if I increase the mileage/speed that I run, then the recovery will take longer and I"ll be increasing the risk of injury as well.  I don"t want to get an injury before London.

Think the maximuscle createmax is the only real solution here as it will mean less rest time + more endurance. Agree its v expensive tho.

Given its for chartity and the time you make may not increase cash probably better to donate the money to the charity instead.

Sod the ice baths, cold shower wont do anything other then smash up pecker!  Bag of peas more productive
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »
Went out this morning for an 8 mile run.  After 3 miles, I start to feel a pain in a toe on my left foot.  I decide to finish after 4 miles, expecting to see some rubbing on my toe or something. 

Nope.  I take my shoe off, and the end of my sock is red from blood.  A small stone, barely visible had managed to get into my sock and had wedged itself between my toes.  After I"d cleaned the blood away, there"s nothing to see except a minor scratch.  Bloody annoying though.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 23:16:01 PM »

Went out this morning for an 8 mile run.  After 3 miles, I start to feel a pain in a toe on my left foot.  I decide to finish after 4 miles, expecting to see some rubbing on my toe or something. 

Nope.  I take my shoe off, and the end of my sock is red from blood.  A small stone, barely visible had managed to get into my sock and had wedged itself between my toes.  After I"d cleaned the blood away, there"s nothing to see except a minor scratch.  Bloody annoying though.

No pain - no gain eh

Really admire you for this Dan, I could never do it even when younger - so hats off -- just do it in the time and get those double/treble ups as well

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 14:16:26 PM »

No pain - no gain eh

Really admire you for this Dan, I could never do it even when younger - so hats off -- just do it in the time and get those double/treble ups as well

Yes, the pressure"s on now from those promises of what they"ll donate if I do it in under 4 hours, or under 3 hours 45 minutes, or even bloody 3 hours 30 minutes.

Anyway, I got some new running shoes today. 

http://www.prodirectrunning.com/prodinfo.asp?DPID=RUN-401-002-094&DEPT=401&BRAND=2&SS=1

Will be trying them out tomorrow morning.

The ones I already have are fairly light, but these are like slippers (but easier to run in).

I got a running magazine thrown in with my trainers, and was just flicking through it and reading about Haile Gebrselassie"s marathon times (his world record is 2hrs 3mins 59secs!) - and they are frighteningly quick.  He always has a smile on his face as well - even when he had to drop out of the London Marathon a year or two ago.

In the same magazine I was reading about Nell McAndrew.  She"s an excellent marathon runner - her PB is something like 3hrs 10mins.  So she"s wayyyy quicker than me - and far better looking as well.  She did it in 3hrs 22mins last year so if she"s running it this year and looking at a 3hrs 30min time, she might be my ideal pacemaker...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 14:19:59 PM »
blatent norkage

give yourself a 10
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 14:23:52 PM »

she might be my ideal pacemaker...

She"d be ideal to run behind, motivation or what

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 14:24:38 PM »

she might be my ideal pacemaker...

She"d be ideal to run behind, motivation or what

She has an ideal behind to run behind.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 14:27:05 PM »
Here she is going shopping:

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 14:28:55 PM »

My pacemaker is now in overdrive

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 14:38:42 PM »

My pacemaker is now in overdrive

Do a search on Google images for Nell McAndrew.

I"d plug your pacemaker into the mains...

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 14:40:17 PM »
Those trainers - I saw a great Discovery Channel program on the making of them where they were demonstrating the Gel used in them. They dropped a raw egg onto the amount of gel used in each trainer from 72ft and it didn"t break!!

This wasn"t it (app it"s been removed from YouTube :( ) but shows the same thing from a much lesser height

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTsXpbLfRU[/youtube]

Here"s a funny clip about the technology

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=26Mb3C8ZhYw[/youtube]

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 15:01:44 PM »
Cheers for those Neil - I"ll have to search out that documentary now!

A lot of running shoes have huge midsoles and heels to absorb the shock of the foot (more accurately the heel) hitting the ground.

However, when I first started running, I had problems with my ITB (liotibial Band).  This was to do with landing on my heel when I was running (as encouraged to do so by my trainers), but wasn"t the way I ran naturally.  I did some reading on the web, and found a great article written by Gordon Pirie (a top-class distance runner) who criticised the shoe manufacturers for encouraging people to run "incorrectly".  Instead he was adamant that people should land on the forefoot rather than the heel and utilise the body"s natural shock absorbers (the knee primarily) rather than relying on huge midsoles.

I got myself some shoes with very little mid-sole cushioning, and ran how I felt comfortable, and the ITB pain went instantly.  So that"s how I"ve continued to run since.

Interesting piece about it here:
http://crossfitatlanta.typepad.com/newsletter_archives/2007/06/june_7_2007.html

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 15:07:55 PM »
I may be exaggerating on the 72ft drop as there are reports on Blogs from folk who say the egg-drop demo and it was 30ft;

Quotes from Blogs found on Google;

marga - I guess asic"s gel cushioning is state of the art. I"ve seen one time on TV how they test their gels. They drop an egg from a 30 feet high elavation and the egg won"t break after landing on the Gel.

that bowerman pair is my first (and last) nike
running shoe, made in china siguro. ive been
an asics believer ever since i saw that 30-foot
egg-drop demo on an asics gel mat on the
Discovery Channel. amazing egg! (haha) :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 15:12:44 PM »
So I"ve bought well if I need to save an egg from an upstairs window of a burning building?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 15:18:16 PM »

Those trainers - I saw a great Discovery Channel program on the making of them ...

So Kinboshi mentions trainers and Nell McAndrew, and the bit you noticed was the trainers?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341