Author Topic: 20/20 World Cup  (Read 27088 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: 20/20 World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 13:30:10 PM »
I"m going to Trent Bridge on Thursday, SA V England should be a great game, hope the weather stays fine. 2 Horse race nearly sevens, gotta be a great bet, especially how they played against us.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 15:10:46 PM »
They are currently 16.5/1

There is the issue that they don"t have to win to go through ... but the odds ridiculous.

L

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 15:30:25 PM »

I"m going to Trent Bridge on Thursday, SA V England should be a great game, hope the weather stays fine. 2 Horse race nearly sevens, gotta be a great bet, especially how they played against us.

It looks like Pakistan might just have enough ... though already two dropped catches ... (four vs England)

South Africa look like the team to beat.

L

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 23:44:04 PM »
South Africa pretty hot (especially in the field)

Collingwood isn"t the right captain for 20/20 or anything - thoughts?

L

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 23:54:22 PM »

agree. Though to be fair Colly is captain by default rather than selection. Unfortunately our best captains are not good enough T20 players and KP has burned his bridges for the time being.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 00:00:07 AM »

agree. Though to be fair Colly is captain by default rather than selection. Unfortunately our best captains are not good enough T20 players and KP has burned his bridges for the time being.

KP bores me on the whole - he unbalances the team - always a side show.

His recent interviews are ridiculous - all about how he doesn"t go to the physio when injured - he knows best - or rather wants to take the IPL money and run ...

Captaincy sideshow

Homesick sideshow

What are we going to get for the Ashes?

L

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »

Can"t agree about Captain"s in 20/20, with the short game the captaincy doesn"t really come into it.  With a 6 over power play the benefit is with the Batsmen, as the infield can be beaten and runs scored easily.  It becomes a bowlers game when early wickets are taken and the pressure increases to score quick runs.

You can"t really set a field to defend runs in 20/20 or make bowling changes to turn a game around.  It"s basically a lottery and the team that gets the momentum will win, this was South Africa yesterday.  If England had got the momentum then Graeme Smith"s captaincy wouldn"t have made any difference.
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
Was at Trent Bridge yesterday. The Kiwis were awesome with bat and in the field, okay it was only Ireland  ;) but they were terrific. What a let down England were. KP was the only batsman taking the attack to the bowlers ( Louis,, what you on!) So a real disappointment as a spectacle.
20 / 20 is a batsmans game, short boundaries and great wickets, but thats why people like it, everybody loves to see the ball flying to all parts. Collingwood as a skipper I don"t like, but as Logie says captaincy during the game has little impact, the pre match plan is where all the decision making goes on.
Yesterday for example what were Englands plan after posting 111? To win they had to take early wickets, so surely Broad and Anderson should have opened! If they were already resigned to losing then lets try a reduce the net run rate for later in the tournamnent, in which case open with Dimi. I leave you to decide.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »

Yesterday for example what were Englands plan after posting 111? To win they had to take early wickets, so surely Broad and Anderson should have opened! If they were already resigned to losing then lets try a reduce the net run rate for later in the tournamnent, in which case open with Dimi. I leave you to decide.

Got it in one  ;D
North London Poker Club

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 22:14:09 PM »

Can"t agree about Captain"s in 20/20, with the short game the captaincy doesn"t really come into it.  With a 6 over power play the benefit is with the Batsmen, as the infield can be beaten and runs scored easily.  It becomes a bowlers game when early wickets are taken and the pressure increases to score quick runs.

You can"t really set a field to defend runs in 20/20 or make bowling changes to turn a game around.  It"s basically a lottery and the team that gets the momentum will win, this was South Africa yesterday.  If England had got the momentum then Graeme Smith"s captaincy wouldn"t have made any difference.

Interesting points - it"s not just a coin flip for me - S Africa defended a very small target against NZ.

Astute bowlers adapt

Batsmen can adapt too ... why apart from Pietersen do the English batsmen get so obsessed with playing square of the wicket?

Don"t get me wrong Pietersen is England"s best player ... but he unsettles the weak around him - when he fails they fail.

He should be the captain - but blew his feet off in a Roy Keane style huff - and someone needs to sort it out - it"s just so tedious to watch.

Mega paid under performers.

England looked good against the despicable West Indies in the Tests - but now look more like a jellyfish.

They rolled over Pakistan (who played terribly).

It reminds me of how England used to be at football ... bumble along ... beat weak foes and crumble against the stronger teams ...

Capello now looks to have it well sorted ...

... who is going to sort it for English cricket?

Louis

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 22:18:54 PM »

Was at Trent Bridge yesterday. The Kiwis were awesome with bat and in the field, okay it was only Ireland  ;) but they were terrific. What a let down England were. KP was the only batsman taking the attack to the bowlers ( Louis,, what you on!) So a real disappointment as a spectacle.
20 / 20 is a batsmans game, short boundaries and great wickets, but thats why people like it, everybody loves to see the ball flying to all parts. Collingwood as a skipper I don"t like, but as Logie says captaincy during the game has little impact, the pre match plan is where all the decision making goes on.

Who sets the plan before the game?

Where is the plan B?

Who is going to inact it (if there is one?) ... it cannot be a coach on the sidelines ... or is that what they were waiting for?

Is this why England failed to declare in the West Indies ... and win the series?

Weird to observe ...

L

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 00:50:23 AM »

Interesting points - it"s not just a coin flip for me - S Africa defended a very small target against NZ.

Astute bowlers adapt

Batsmen can adapt too ... why apart from Pietersen do the English batsmen get so obsessed with playing square of the wicket?

Don"t get me wrong Pietersen is England"s best player ... but he unsettles the weak around him - when he fails they fail.

He should be the captain - but blew his feet off in a Roy Keane style huff - and someone needs to sort it out - it"s just so tedious to watch.

England looked good against the despicable West Indies in the Tests - but now look more like a jellyfish.

It reminds me of how England used to be at football ... bumble along ... beat weak foes and crumble against the stronger teams ...

Louis

Don"t think anyone has said it"s a coin flip, depends on which team is dominating the game, very difficult to change the course of the game when it"s going away from you.

The batsmen will try to play the ball to the areas where there is space, gaining two rather than one, a lot of this space is square of the wicket, hence the shots in this direction.

I have a personal opinion on KP, great player to have in the team, but is not a Captain. Let him get on with his job and stroll around like a show pony, he"s got the talent and can get away with it.  If fit, Flintoff would have been the 20/20 Captain.

Most cricketers are not Mega paid, this is a 20/20 competition, view it in some perspective for what it is, a short form of the game which is entertaining, draws the crowds in and is fun.

Good to see the despicable Windies outplay India tonight  ;D
North London Poker Club

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 00:55:02 AM »

okay it was only Ireland  ;)

hoi we got further than the Aussies

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »

Astute bowlers adapt

Louis

Don"t think anyone has said it"s a coin flip, depends on which team is dominating the game, very difficult to change the course of the game when it"s going away from you.

The batsmen will try to play the ball to the areas where there is space, gaining two rather than one, a lot of this space is square of the wicket, hence the shots in this direction.

I have a personal opinion on KP, great player to have in the team, but is not a Captain. Let him get on with his job and stroll around like a show pony, he"s got the talent and can get away with it.  If fit, Flintoff would have been the 20/20 Captain.

Most cricketers are not Mega paid, this is a 20/20 competition, view it in some perspective for what it is, a short form of the game which is entertaining, draws the crowds in and is fun.

Good to see the despicable Windies outplay India tonight  ;D

It was described as a lottery ... which I suppose is more random than a coin flip!

West Indies want to play the 20/20 ... and pretty impressive so far.

In the Tests they didn"t turn up ... which is "criminal" in professional sport.

First cricket I ever watched on TV was the "84 series England Vs West Indies.

They were an amazing side - but it was an epic fight in individual tests - there was real pride at stake.

Flintoff and Pietersen much more bothered by the IPL dollars ... and both injured (or carrying injuries).

KP - Show pony - part of the problem - he prances about so when he fails it creates a great ripple of what now.

Flintoff would be a good captain in that he would have the balls to make a decision - and the personality to add something to the team.

Flintoff in the last Ashes (in England) - a tremendous performance - but what since from the team?

As a total aside - I was thinking about Eddie Hemmings the other night - would have been interesting in the 20/20 game.

Louis

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »

under performers, possibly

mega paid??? surely not
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06