Author Topic: Usain Bolt  (Read 17327 times)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Usain Bolt
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »

I"m looking for odds on him going below 9.50 before or at the next olympics.

anyone know where I can get this, or willing to take the bet?

I would prefer to bet on someone breaking 9.50. Gay"s run was also phenomenal and I think he is capable of breaking the new record. Also Gatlin is back next year, though it remains to be seen whether he is still competitive with these two.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 16:07:34 PM »

I would prefer to bet on someone breaking 9.50. Gay"s run was also phenomenal and I think he is capable of breaking the new record. Also Gatlin is back next year, though it remains to be seen whether he is still competitive with these two.

Gay was almost two metres behind Bolt!  He needs to knock more than a tenth of a second off his time to get close to Bolt, and he simply isn"t capable of doing that.  Gatlin was never that quick, and the only one who is physically capable of getting under 9.6 other than Bolt is Powell.

(all imo of course).
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 18:40:35 PM »

Gay was almost two metres behind Bolt!  He needs to knock more than a tenth of a second off his time to get close to Bolt, and he simply isn"t capable of doing that.  Gatlin was never that quick, and the only one who is physically capable of getting under 9.6 other than Bolt is Powell.

(all imo of course).

Yeah, the odds are against Gatlin. He wasn"t doing these times back then but neither were these guys. But the standard has moved on, so we"ll see if he can do his thing again. Powell is a strange case. I used to think that he was the man, just didn"t win when he should have, but he has been beaten so many times now. I still think he has it in him but I don"t know that we will ever see it. Gay has improved his time a lot and was only two-hundredths outside Bolt"s Olympic time, which everyone thought was unmatchable. Bolt has only ever twice gone faster than Gay did on Sunday, albeit on the most significant occasions. The way things are going, I think Gay could do 9.6, but I have to agree that the person most likely to break Bolt"s new record is Bolt.
A question for the pedants (no apostrophe) - what is the fastest time in which 100 metres has been run?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 19:08:57 PM »

A question for the pedants (no apostrophe) - what is the fastest time in which 100 metres has been run?

Must be a leg of the 4x100 -- can"t be arsed to look it up tho

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 22:08:24 PM »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 23:37:37 PM »
bolt is 1/50 to win 200m on betfred!  strangely still prob gd value :)
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »

It used to be in the 200m, and it was Michael Johnson (although Bolt might have eclipsed that when he broke the world record for the 200m in Beijing).

BUT, in a 150m straight line run recently, Bolt did a 100m in less than 8 seconds.  So I"m guessing that"s the record.

What was the overall time?

L

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »

It used to be in the 200m, and it was Michael Johnson (although Bolt might have eclipsed that when he broke the world record for the 200m in Beijing).

BUT, in a 150m straight line run recently, Bolt did a 100m in less than 8 seconds.  So I"m guessing that"s the record.

link for under 8secs??  I thought it was just under 9?!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

link for under 8secs??  I thought it was just under 9?!

I heard someone talking about it, so no link. Sure they said 7.xx seconds - but might have mis-heard.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Under 8 wud b lightning!  Never say never - I know he ran 100m in the Manchester 150m in 8.7 sumthing which is crazy crazy fast!!

gatso

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
first 100 was 9.9, last 100 was 8.72

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
What about the middle 100 :D

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 14:13:48 PM »
You"re on the right lines, in that it is the flying start that makes the difference. Given that he was never able to break 10 seconds for the 100m, it is surprising that Johnson"s time for the last 100m of his 200m WR at 9.20 was actually faster than Bolt"s equivalent 9.32, but he was slower over the first 100m. However these are way off the times achieved in relays, where 9 seconds has been broken more than twenty times, most notably by Bailey, Greene & Burrell and four times by Lewis. Carl Lewis still held the two fastest automatically-recorded times, 8.85 & 8.86, right until 2007 when Powell did 8.84.

However, none of these came close to Bob Hayes, who won the 1964 Olympic 100m by a mile, equalling the WR 10.0 despite having the inside lane of a cinders track chewed up by the 10,000m. In the semis, he was the first to break 10 seconds, clocking 9.91, but the time was disallowed due to wind-assistance. He then came from way behind to win the relay almost single-handedly, running the anchor leg in 8.50 despite old technology track, spikes, clothing, training, diet, etc, etc and the disadvantage of having to run in black-&-white. Just to make it a real Alf Tupper moment, he forgot one of his spikes and had to borrow a left one. For some reason I don"t understand, manually-timed 100m have 0.24 added to compare with automatically-recorded. I understand timers" reaction times being added to gun starts, but not to relay splits. Anyway, Hayes" converted time is 8.74. No doubt he was one of the greatest athletes ever. He is the only man to win a gold medal and a Super Bowl and last week became only the second gold-medallist to enter the NFL Hall of Fame.

In the 08 Olympics, Bolt ran 8.98 and Powell 8.70, finally "breaking" Hayes" time. Bolt almost equalled that in his 150m WR this year, covering the final 100m in 8.72. Gay has also broken 9 seconds. For me though, Bob Hayes ran the fastest 100m ever. Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDfT0ucUfc&feature=related

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 14:25:26 PM »
OMG that was awesome, and that was in the old days when time was faster. ;)