Author Topic: Cheltenham festival  (Read 32420 times)

bigredders

• Gold Member
Cheltenham festival
« on: February 25, 2010, 14:46:01 PM »
It"s getting to that time of year again folks!

Any ante-post gems anyone?

My big fancy is go native for the champion hurdle, though lost a bit of value with Zaynar last week!

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: Cheltenham festival
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 14:54:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzDO9ZqppY

Has to be a massive favourite^^^^^^^^
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 14:59:07 PM »
lol, lets just hope Go Native has his weetabix on the morning of the race!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 21:05:32 PM »
quite fancy Kyber Kim in the champion Hurdle, but all the value has gone there already tbh
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:24:37 AM »
I"m sweet on Go Native for the champion.Every one"s been slating his wins this year,saying they were falsely run races but he has a blistering turn of pace.On decent ground with a strong gallop everything should suit imo.
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 18:12:37 PM »
The major races (apart from the Champion Hurdle) look like Nicholls/Walsh penalty kicks as I cannot see Master Minded, Big Bucks & Kauto Star getting beat (bar them falling).

Champion Hurdle is wide open, I like both Kyber Kim & Go Native but will look around for some better value.

Interesting to see how Dunguib goes in the first race of the meeting.  He has looked very impressive so far but I won"t be lumping on, much better value in the place markets.

The races I really like to get stuck into from a betting point of view are the big handicaps, weights are released this week so will start formulating a plan of attack then.

Cannot wait for the festival to start, my favourite racing time of the year!!!

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 21:53:54 PM »

The major races (apart from the Champion Hurdle) look like Nicholls/Walsh penalty kicks as I cannot see Master Minded, Big Bucks & Kauto Star getting beat (bar them falling).

Champion Hurdle is wide open, I like both Kyber Kim & Go Native but will look around for some better value.

Interesting to see how Dunguib goes in the first race of the meeting.  He has looked very impressive so far but I won"t be lumping on, much better value in the place markets.

The races I really like to get stuck into from a betting point of view are the big handicaps, weights are released this week so will start formulating a plan of attack then.

Agree about Dunguib, he might well win but not at that price. His poor jumping could well find him out at Cheltenham. I really like Oscar Whiskey in the supreme. It was a fairly well reguarded horse he beat in his last race. Giving him 6 pound, he couldn"t have done it any easier. At 12"s in most places well worth an ew bet.

Will look forward to listening to your views on the handicaps james, they are races that i struggle with at the festival. :)

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 13:24:05 PM »

Agree about Dunguib, he might well win but not at that price. His poor jumping could well find him out at Cheltenham. I really like Oscar Whiskey in the supreme. It was a fairly well reguarded horse he beat in his last race. Giving him 6 pound, he couldn"t have done it any easier. At 12"s in most places well worth an ew bet.

Will look forward to listening to your views on the handicaps james, they are races that i struggle with at the festival. :)

For any that are interested, Paddy power are doing a money back special if Dunguib wins. Quite unbelievable value!

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 19:07:26 PM »
They did the same last year with Cousin Vinny and got him beat.  Still an amazing offer if Dunguib turns out to be as good as he has promised so far.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 19:10:01 PM »
Interesting that they are also 3/1 (with a run) Dunguib for the Champion Hurdle, perhaps they know something...

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 20:04:46 PM »

Interesting that they are also 3/1 (with a run) Dunguib for the Champion Hurdle, perhaps they know something...

I have noticed that in a few other places too. Surely not....

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 19:35:55 PM »
i"ve backed 2 in the champion hurdle - Celestial Halo and Punjabi ... for the supreme Menorah [only a dabble] ....
william hill - Razor Royale [liked his run back in November] and A New Story e/w in the cross country...

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 21:48:53 PM »
For the first time for several years I"m not going, but I"m off work every day of the festival and will be glued to the TV every day of Cheltenham. My observations for day one are as follows:

1) Supreme novices hurdle. Dunguib is a worthy favourite, but taking into consideration that he is far from fluid over his hurdles, he is completely unbackable at his current price. I fancy Get Me Out Of here at 6-1 who has at least proved his credentials in a big field against more experienced opponents.
2) Arkle Chase. Probably the most competitive renewal of this event in the years I"ve been following racing. I"ll be backing Somersby who finished 3rd in last year"s Supreme Novices Hurdle and I think looks even better over fences. After winning the Arkle, I expect him to step up in trip and give kauto Star something to think about in the next King George.  
3) William Hill Handicap Chase. David Pipe"s The Package has attracted a stack of money this week and seems to tick all the right boxes. If Our Vic runs, I think he represents great value at the current 25-1 and I"ll also be keeping an eye on Palypso De Creek who I"ve backed for the Grand National at 100-1
4) Champion Hurdle. Again a very open renewal with at least 10 horses in with a genuine chance. Current favourite Go Native has the most bombproof form and at 7-2 I feel is a very reasonable price. However, he is far from unbeatable and there is value elsewhere. I raved about Starluck before last year"s Triumph Hurdle and after cruising to the last, he folded rather tamely to finish 4th. However, the Triumph Hurdle is run on a different course to the Championship and the average race time is several seconds longer. With that and the fact that the ground is likely to be a little bit quicker than last year, I think that Starluck being the quickest horse in the field on the flat will be there or there abouts. I also expect Celestial Halo to be involved. He was also a very high class flat horse (7th in the St leger) with a good record at the festival (won a Triumph Hurdle, 2nd in last year"s champion) and probably won"t have too much competition for the lead. His last run was poor, but he will be wearing blinkers for the first time, so I will be amazed if he isn"t involved in the finish.
5) Cross Country Chase. On the whole it is madness to back anything not trained by Enda Bolger whose entire year seems to revolve around this race and the 2 cross country events at the Punchestown festival. This year I would be very interested in Monkerhostin if he takes part. He is very versatile having won a Tote Gold Trophy over hurdles at 2 miles and several decent races over fences at 3 miles. Last time out, he defied his 13 years to win again and at the current 14-1 is well worth a look          
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 13:12:33 PM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 12:59:04 PM »

For the first time for several years I"m not going, but I"m off work every day of the festival and will be glued to the TV every day of Cheltenham. My observations for day one are as follows:

1) Supreme novices hurdle. Dunguib is a worthy favourite, but taking into consideration that he is far from fluid over his hurdles, he is completely unbackable at his current price. I fancy Can"t Buy Time at 6-1 who has at least proved his credentials in a big field against more experienced opponents.
2) Arkle Chase. Probably the most competitive renewal of this event in the years I"ve been following racing. I"ll be backing Somersby who finished 3rd in last year"s Supreme Novices Hurdle and I think looks even better over fences. After winning the Arkle, I expect him to step up in trip and give kauto Star something to think about in the next King George.  
3) William Hill Handicap Chase. David Pipe"s The Package has attracted a stack of money this week and seems to tick all the right boxes. If Our Vic runs, I think he represents great value at the current 25-1 and I"ll also be keeping an eye on Palypso De Creek who I"ve backed for the Grand National at 100-1
4) Champion Hurdle. Again a very open renewal with at least 10 horses in with a genuine chance. Current favourite Go Native has the most bombproof form and at 7-2 I feel is a very reasonable price. However, he is far from unbeatable and there is value elsewhere. I raved about Starluck before last year"s Triumph Hurdle and after cruising to the last, he folded rather tamely to finish 4th. However, the Triumph Hurdle is run on a different course to the Championship and the average race time is several seconds longer. With that and the fact that the ground is likely to be a little bit quicker than last year, I think that Starluck being the quickest horse in the field on the flat will be there or there abouts. I also expect Celestial Halo to be involved. He was also a very high class flat horse (7th in the St leger) with a good record at the festival (won a Triumph Hurdle, 2nd in last year"s champion) and probably won"t have too much competition for the lead. His last run was poor, but he will be wearing blinkers for the first time, so I will be amazed if he isn"t involved in the finish.
5) Cross Country Chase. On the whole it is madness to back anything not trained by Enda Bolger whose entire year seems to revolve around this race and the 2 cross country events at the Punchestown festival. This year I would be very interested in Monkerhostin if he takes part. He is very versatile having won a Tote Gold Trophy over hurdles at 2 miles and several decent races over fences at 3 miles. Last time out, he defied his 13 years to win again and at the current 14-1 is well worth a look          

Good points....

I have also had a saver on Starluck for the champion, if he were from a big stable he would be half the price. Also backed somersby for the arkle.

Here"s an ew lucky 15....

Oscar Whisky - Supreme novices
Somersby - Arkle
Starluck - Champion hurdle
Advisor - Triumph hurdle

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 13:18:37 PM »
Did anyone spot my deliberate (ish) mistake?. Can"t Buy Time is a chaser who ran in the last Grand National and will not be running in a novice hurdle at Cheltenham. I actually meant to recommend Get Me Out Of Here who has the same owner. Doh! Schoolboy error
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one