Author Topic: Estonia Satellites: A Word from our sponsor?  (Read 11716 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Estonia Satellites: A Word from our sponsor?
« on: April 27, 2010, 20:59:08 PM »
I"m not available the weekend of Vienna so I haven"t been paying close attention to the sats but observing from afar it seems we have struggled to get the numbers.

Therefore, I have a proposal for Estonia.

Is it possible that betfair could "guarantee" 1 x seat + expenses package for each of the satellites to drive interest?

I also think we would get more interest for the standard 3 sats leading up to the direct buy-in rather than 2 weeks worth

Thoughts?
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: Estonia Satellites: A Word from our sponsor?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 21:00:53 PM »
Very keen on players views here.

Post away.   ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 21:53:21 PM »

Very keen on players views here.

Post away.   ;D

FFS I am going anyway

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 22:38:32 PM »

FFS I am going anyway

Me too....probably!
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 00:06:43 AM »
I want to go
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:11:21 AM »

Is it possible that betfair could "guarantee" 1 x seat + expenses package for each of the satellites to drive interest?

I like the idea in principle with my usual caveat that it"s a "use it or lose it" proposition. That is, the seat and package are not transferable or sellable.

With a guarantee like this I foresee problems with "overlay hunters" poaching onto something specifically put in place to encourage attendance.

Anyway, I suspect that the "guarantee" would be unnecessary as the mere fact of having it in place would ensure that it wouldn"t be needed...if you see what I mean.

With all that said...I do like the idea for overseas events and even extended to other nationals....petrol and hotels ain"t that cheap you know.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
IMHO these tournaments abroad are only going to suit people who can afford to go to such an extravagant event and for local players in that country.  Its not just the entry fee, which is mostly what these sats offer, the added expenses of travel, accommodation and spending money abroad is huge and for the likes of me and, I am sure, many others, is in no way achievable to attend.  I struggle at the best of times to make the UK ones as the cost of travel is going up all the time and the cheap flight options are few and far between as well as rising hotel costs.

Mary Kivlin

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »

I"m not available the weekend of Vienna so I haven"t been paying close attention to the sats but observing from afar it seems we have struggled to get the numbers.

Therefore, I have a proposal for Estonia.

I also think we would get more interest for the standard 3 sats leading up to the direct buy-in rather than 2 weeks worth

Thoughts?

Good idea IMHO, as Mair says these trips are financially prohibitive for a lot of peopke, and this would be a good way of generating more interest in the Sats, and the chance for someone to bag a cheap seat.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »

IMHO these tournaments abroad are only going to suit people who can afford to go to such an extravagant event and for local players in that country.

Quite true....I"d decided that instead of a trip to Vegas for the WSOP this year, I"d try and make as many APAT Nationals & DTD as possible. My choice...

...but Austria was just about swingable but is still going to run £400 easy, add Tallinn on top and that"ll run even more which make my attendance possible...but not entirely probable...no matter how much I"d like to have that experience.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:29:27 AM by Paulie_D »

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 13:49:39 PM »

I like the idea in principle with my usual caveat that it"s a "use it or lose it" proposition. That is, the seat and package are not transferable or sellable.

With a guarantee like this I foresee problems with "overlay hunters" poaching onto something specifically put in place to encourage attendance.

Anyway, I suspect that the "guarantee" would be unnecessary as the mere fact of having it in place would ensure that it wouldn"t be needed...if you see what I mean.

With all that said...I do like the idea for overseas events and even extended to other nationals....petrol and hotels ain"t that cheap you know.

I think it"s likely that every one of the satellites would have an overlay if one package was guaranteed for every satellite - I think the only way it might work is if there was one guarantee in total. Maybe something like make every satellite a feeder to a super satellite, so all the seats would be won from that and one package would be guaranteed.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 19:14:23 PM »

That"s kind of what I was thinking. The existance of the guarantee should mean we will reach the level of buy-in that the guarantee was representing and then won"t need the guarantee because we"ve reached it.....due to the guarantee!! Simples  ;)

Is that a paradox?

Hopefully it will affect the mindset of people who want to play but see that there are only 9 people registered (i.e. $180 assuming a $20 sat) a couple of hours before the game when 20 would be needed to guarantee one package.

In that scenario I know I would register, given the presence of a guarantee - without one I might not. Plus Leigh et al would be doing their thing on this forum, other forums, FB, Smoke signals etc  ;D

Its not just the entry fee, which is mostly what these sats offer, the added expenses of travel, accommodation and spending money abroad is huge and for the likes of me and, I am sure, many others, is in no way achievable to attend.

I understand your point Mair but this would be for a $400 package so $120 seat plus $280 expenses - winners would probably have to top this up but it will go a long way towards.

I think it"s likely that every one of the satellites would have an overlay if one package was guaranteed for every satellite

Why do you say that Jon? One of the sats for Vienna got quite close without the guarantee

FFS I am going anyway

That"s great Duke but you will still play the rebuy if there is one..... won"t you......please  ;)
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 19:32:38 PM »
I can see where you are coming from honest, looking for that guarantee of 1 package so it encourages people to play.  The only point I was trying to make was that even tho this may well be a gr8 addition to the S4 calendar for some, the majority of people will struggle to attend.

When most poker sites advertise tournaments abroad their packages are far superior and include travel, accommodation and the likes which encourages people to play the sats and want to go.

With the small amount left over after the seat for this one there is still quite a lot to add to the total cost, and therefore, not worth it.
Mary Kivlin

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 19:35:50 PM »

I think it"s likely that every one of the satellites would have an overlay if one package was guaranteed for every satellite

Why do you say that Jon? One of the sats for Vienna got quite close without the guarantee

Quite close to the seat value or quite close to the suggested package value?
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 19:40:41 PM »

Just checked and it was 12 for $240 so maybe "quite close" was a bit of an exageration. Still 60% of the requisite players for the package value??
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 19:55:34 PM »

Just checked and it was 12 for $240 so maybe "quite close" was a bit of an exageration. Still 60% of the requisite players for the package value??

The answer is that I just don"t think there would be the demand for it, and I don"t think that shows any evidence otherwise.

The satellites with a package might be interesting, but for something like future London based tournaments maybe.

i.e. Plenty of demand but higher than average costs
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341