Author Topic: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog  (Read 187314 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2012, 05:07:39 AM »
A Very Vegas Vacation - Day 11

The Company Is Sundered

And lo, it was on the seventh day of their joint sojourn (and the eleventh in this adventure) that the merrie company of Ger the Wise, Don the Unshaven and Paulie the Rotund was divided as Ger and Don were, perforce, required to return to their native lands whilst the gallant Paulie continued on his trek alone.

Checkout time is 11am, which is a shock to the system when you aren’t used to leaving the room until midday.

However, we all managed to check out and dump our bags at the bell desk before heading back indoors for some breakfast.

Silly time to do it really as everyone is having breakfast at 11am apparently. We queued for a while at the Cafe in Harrahs watching the degenerate gamblers ( Diamond Status) get priority over us mere mortals.

However, we were eventually seated and I tucked into what can only be described as a significant portion of a pig slapped on a plate. Coffee and OJ...you betcha!

Don very kindly picked up the check thanks to his luckboxing a chop at Caesars the day before. We were done by noon, I guess and with nothing to do until check in time (for me) and flight time for Ger and Don there was only one option. Pai Gow.

We sat for a couple of hours until Don went for a wander so we said our goodbyes then and Ger shook my hand a little while later and disappeared into the mists of legend via taxi to Terminal 3 of McCarran airport.

I jumped in a can to the Venetian making sure to tip the cab driver heavily for the short journey.

Here’s a small tip for for you. Your minimum spend in a Vegas cab should always be $10 even if he’s driving you next door. The poor sod has probably had to queue for some time in the rank at wherever you picked him up.

Now your lazy azz comes along and wants a cab from Harrahs to the Venetian. Sure it’s a 10 minute walk but you’re lugging 35kg of bags with you and you really don’t want to walk.

So he has to carry you that short distance, giving up his place in the queue and join the back of a new queue.

Tip the man. I apologised for the short haul and gave him $15 for a $5 fare. I’m a high-roller me.

Check in at the V was a lovely procedure and much nicer than other places I’ve visited. A short walk to the elevators and a long walk down the corridor to my suite (thank you very much).

Feck me you get a lot of room for your money. I’d never shell out normal rates for all this, I just don’t need it.

Two main televisions, one for watching in bed and another (with DVD player) in the lower level lounge area.

Oh, and another in the bathroom in case you need to watch the news while brushing your teeth.

Separate shower and bath...frankly, I prefer the bath/shower combo but each to their own.

Separate WC as well, with shatphone in case you strain something and have to call for medical assistance I guess.

Remote control blinds and curtains.Wired internet (no wireless seems odd) but no biggie.There’s even a friggin’ printer by the desk.

A remarkably comfortable bed...utterly gorgeous.

I declined the $45 a night upgrade for a Strip view which means I get a view of the mountains in the distance across a roofscape and the sound of air conditioning units. Actually, it’s like white noise...quite restful actually.

I lounged for a while just taking it all in.Lucky I’m not really paying for it. Thanks Holiday Inn Points.

However, the siren song of poker was calling, although I stopped off at the Grand Lux Cafe first for some, as usual, top notch food and Blue Moon.

A mere 6 hour session for a grand total of....nothing...I think I may have broken my streak. I broke EVEN...hell, with the $2 an hour comps I might even have some out ahead. I’ll take it.

A later night for me than has been the case before and I watched some TV for an hour or so even after getting back to the room. I guess I finally succumbed to the tender mercies of Morpheus about 2.30.

Bliss.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:45 AM »
A Very Vegas Vacation - Day 12

A Kryptonite Immunity?

As I said before, the bed here at the V is very comfortable and what withe the late night before, I slept very well indeed.

I pottered around the extensive room before emerging at my normal time of noon. I was in a funny kind of mood. My stomach was telling me that it needed something but I couldn't make up my mind what it was.

The Grand Lux was kind of busy and I'm not a real Food Court fan. Noodle Asia, perhaps but it just seemed wrong to each asian food for lunch.

I eventually settled on Rattlecan again for the proximity to the poker room and the simplicity of the menu. Beer and burgers basically.

However, I wasn't really ready for a heavy meal so I settled on chicken strips, just an appetizer really. Just something to satisfy whatever vague need my belly seemed to have. A couple of beers helped to.

I lingered over the second beer before making my way into the Poker Room and being seated immediately.

Could I improve on NOT losing any money this time? As it turns out, I could and over a 6 hour stint made $150...not bad, it'll just about cover my food bill for the day.

Speaking of which, I'm not really a restaurant type person, I'd rather sit at the bar and eat which is why the Grand Lux gets my adoration so much...that and it's by the restrooms and near the elevators.

A rack of ribs and 3 Blue Moons (the third of which was complimentary, thank you) and I was stuffed.

I considered going back to the table but decided not to. The dynamic when I left was already starting to change to a more...erm....challenging one so I elected to take the win and leave it there.

I mithered on the slots for a while before deciding to call it a night. I really have to check out some other eating establishments tomorrow.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2012, 00:26:56 AM »

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #423 on: December 31, 2012, 23:29:46 PM »
Great updates Paulie and that room at the Venetian looks awesome. Happy New Year.
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #424 on: December 31, 2012, 23:44:45 PM »

Great updates Paulie and that room at the Venetian looks awesome. Happy New Year.

yep, enjoying this v much. Happy New Year matey.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #425 on: January 01, 2013, 18:20:31 PM »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2013, 18:54:10 PM »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2013, 19:00:28 PM »
Vegas trip sounds awesome, we need a few of us out there again next this year, enjoy the rest of it
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2013, 19:06:02 PM »
Happy New Year Paulie xx

Supernova

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #429 on: January 01, 2013, 21:29:04 PM »
Wonderful writing as ever Sir Scribe, happy New Year -xXx-
APAT UK Team Championships 2011 18th
APAT Welsh Championships 2012 13th
APAT European 2012 6max 3rd Bronze Medal
APAT Home Internationals 2012 Omaha S/E 3rd
APAT WCOAP 2013 Stud S/E 14th
APAT WCOAP 2013 H.O.R.S.E S/E 7th
APAT English Championship 2013 3rd Bronze Medal

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #430 on: January 02, 2013, 19:33:00 PM »
A Very Vegas Vacation - Day 16

New Day, New Year...Same Sh*t

Somehow I managed to avoid the bear last night...perhaps the Irish coffee I was on at the end helped.

Well, here we are, the first day of 2013 folks and we’ve survived the Mayan Apocalypse.

The schmuck who first said it would be on 21/12/12 obviously had no clue since December probably didn’t even exist in the time of the Mayans. I tried to start a rumour on that date that the calculations were so precise that it had been narrowed down to 6pm Pacific Time...like THAT existed then too.

People were asking if New York would get it three hours early...morons!

On a personal front, my own apocalypse on the poker front continued after a healthy steak, eggs and hash browns breakfast in the Courtyard Cafe.

Perhaps it’s variance, perhaps 4/8 O8 isn’t my game after all. Dunno, I used to do all right here.

Admittedly, it took four hours to lose the $100 but I could see which way the wind was blowing, so I got up and wandered off; without a plan.

On a side note, I have to confess that I’ve broken into the reserve cash I brought with me. This is the money I’d hoped to come back with (at least) but brought just in case. Poker has not been as kind to me as I had expected and the first week or so playing table games intermittently with Ger has eaten a chunk I wouldn’t normally have used.

Plus, three weeks is a LONG time when you’re eating and drinking as well as I am; but then I am on holiday and I deserve it. I refuse to start eating cheaply on holiday...false economy I call it.

No-one’s fault but my own and, as I said, it’s a planned reserve....I haven’t hit the ATM yet and don’t plan to.

I considered a movie but wasn’t in the mood. I needed something mindless, cheap and with beer. Unfortunately, Stu Ward wasn’t available so I settled for $5 Pai Gow with a $1 bonus.

That did the trick. I sat there for several hours with a great bunch of people having a ball while the lovely Cheryl brought me a bottle every time she came round. I think she might have been on roller skates a couple of times.

Now you’d expect the hottest cocktail waitresses to be in the swanqiest (censor spelling) places in Las Vegas and to a certain extent that’s true. What is also true is that a lot of the places are unionised and seniority counts.

That means that a 50 year old waitress with many years in gets priority about which shifts she works. Ask Ger about some of the somewhat dubious lookers at Harrahs.

Where they aren’t unionised (AFAIK) then the girls tend to be (sorry) hotter. The Orleans is one such place. The poker room at the IP used to be the same.

Not sure I can get a photo, I don’t have the testicular fortitude to ask. Suffice it to say, they eye candy is pretty tasty.

Anyway, after sitting there for about 4 hours I was $3 in profit (not including the beer bonus which I had mulllahed) so I tipped that to the dealer and went in search of food.

Big Al’s Oyster Bar caught my eye. Not that I was planning on oysters. I like them but they go down too easy and in my state there was a good chance they’d come back the same way.

Nope, I huge bowl of Louisiana gumbo please. Utterly gorgeous with a some hot sauce thrown in. Even with my prodigious effort I couldn’t quite finish it...almost but not quite.

After that I could feel a food coma coming on so sometime around 10.30 I went back to the room and chilled watching TV.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 19:39:40 PM by Paulie_D »

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #431 on: January 02, 2013, 19:42:41 PM »
2 things....

I considered a movie but wasn't in the mood. I needed something mindless, cheap and with beer. Unfortunately, Stu Ward wasn't available so I settled for $5 Pai Gow with a $1 bonus.

harsh  :o

After that I could feel a food coma coming on so sometime around 10.30 I went back to the room and chilled watching TV.

you edited that JUST in time  :P
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2013, 20:10:26 PM »
Excellent read Paulie really enjoying these blogs, thanks.

Shame the poker is going in the wrong direction.. So I think a little fandango run good is in need, duly sent sir..

Good luck keep up the great write ups.
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #433 on: January 02, 2013, 20:12:14 PM »

Hey, sometimes you don"t see the speelling mistakes until after you"ve posted.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2013, 20:16:15 PM »

Hey, sometimes you don"t see the speelling mistakes until after you"ve posted.

I see what you did there!!

Still insanely jealous. Coming back with us later this year please?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013