Author Topic: 888poker UK & Ireland Home International Team Championship  (Read 24948 times)

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
888poker UK & Ireland Home International Team Championship
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 18:58:09 PM by Chipaccrual »

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
Re: 888poker UK & Ireland Home International Team Championship
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 22:47:20 PM »
Structures for each event can be found here

Travel tips for Newcastle can be found here

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 20:25:48 PM by Chipaccrual »

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
Teams in the UK & Ireland Home International Team Championship will be captained by the following players:-

England A - Jack Prime
England B - Steve Bayliff
Scotland A - Stuart Oliver
Scotland B - Louis Manson
Wales A - Steve Roderick
Wales B - Darren Shallis
Ireland A - John Murray
Ireland B - Ger Smyth Snr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 18:38:23 PM by Chipaccrual »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 20:26:18 PM »
Teams will be posted here as they are announced.

England A

Jack Prime                   Warren Fenwick        Glenn Laming             Don Roberts               Phil Tompkinson
(Non Playing Captain)

England B

Steve Bayliff                 Matt McKinlay          Dave Howard             Andy Kingan
(Playing Captain)

Wales A

Steve Roderick              Dan Owston             Dylan Herbert            Richard Rudling-Smith
(Playing Captain)

Wales B

Darren Shallis              Warren Jones             Ben Young                David Rudling-Smith
(Playing Captain)

Scotland A

Stuart Oliver                Chris Kelly                Ian Burnett                  Grant Speirs
(Playing Captain)

Scotland B

Louis Manson                Mary Martin                David Blacklaw                  Shug Cairnie
(Playing Captain)

Ireland A

John Murray                Ger Smyth Jnr                Dawn Dineen                  Brian Frew
(Playing Captain)

Ireland B

Ger Smyth Snr            David Pilkington           Maxine McKinlay             Des O"Duffy
(Playing Captain)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 00:41:07 AM by Chipaccrual »

TightEnd

• Platinum Member

rudders

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 15:02:46 PM »
A few questions/suggestions....

As it is the home nations what happens if one of the teams is in a position to win the competition and are up against their fellow countymen (not team mate)? Is team play/ soft play accepted/allowed?

what about in the mtt what happens when there are eight welshmen on the final table is team play allowed.

can I suggest that no countymen play eachother heads up.

My feeling is that soft play may be permissable but not collusion (ie folding the best hand, three bet folding to squeeze a non country man/team mate out of a pot. etc)

It is a team game after all but I think we need strict guidance on this avoid any confusion/misunderstandings

regards

Rudders

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 16:08:12 PM »
No team play or collusion will be permitted, same as any other APAT event

the HU part of the competition will obviously be drawn so that no two team mates play each other

the SNGs will obviously only have one player per team per table

the MTT will start with no two players from the same team on the same table. After that, as tables break yes it will happen but you are expected to play all out with no soft play.

rudders

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
soz Rich just to be a pedant- in the HU not just team mates but fellow countrymen too?

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:56:35 AM »

soz Rich just to be a pedant- in the HU not just team mates but fellow countrymen too?

no that"s not the case

In the MTT for sure there will be 1 player from each of the 8 teams on the starting tables

In the SNG its likely

In the HU we"ll try to avoid it

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »

No team play or collusion will be permitted, same as any other APAT event

the HU part of the competition will obviously be drawn so that no two team mates play each other

the SNGs will obviously only have one player per team per table

the MTT will start with no two players from the same team on the same table. After that, as tables break yes it will happen but you are expected to play all out with no soft play.

I keep reading line 1 again and again ... "No team play ... will be permitted" ... it is a TEAM event ... how is this going to be judged? What are you to do in a marginal spot?

Various points:

Do I need to look to defeat my own team members? - I assume no - but please confirm.
Do I need to look to defeat the "Scotland A" team? - I assume yes - but please confirm.
If towards the end the MTT the title is between say Wales "A" and Scotland "B" can we target Wales "A" over Scotland "A" ... all we would be trying to do is win the event (is this allowed)?

I think everyone agrees that collusion is straightforwardly not allowed - but at the margin trying to win the event may be construed as "soft play" vs any other opponent.

For me it is obvious that you should look to exert pressure on your key opponents - but the flip of that coin is you may as a result favour your other national team or some other team.

Guidance would be great : If that is as simple as no collusion and look to maximise your team"s points that would be great.

Louis

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
Ideally, it seems to me, that you should treat it as an individual game but scoring points as a team.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
Guidance would be great : If that is as simple as no collusion and look to maximise your team"s points that would be great.

Pretty much this

Do I need to look to defeat my own team members? - I assume no - but please confirm. Trickiest area, but No explicit collusion permitted. You might not want to beat them but if a situation demands it, then don"t soft play to avoid it. Points system is such (off to check...) that a winner is better than two nowhere finishes

Do I need to look to defeat the "Scotland A" team? - I assume yes - but please confirm. Yes

If towards the end the MTT the title is between say Wales "A" and Scotland "B" can we target Wales "A" over Scotland "A" ... all we would be trying to do is win the event (is this allowed)? No, target both the same. Scotland "A" should not receive any preferential treatment

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
On point 3 :

"If towards the end the MTT the title is between say Wales "A" and Scotland "B" can we target Wales "A" over Scotland "A" ... all we would be trying to do is win the event (is this allowed)? No, target both the same. Scotland "A" should not receive any preferential treatment."

If we now change this to Wales "A" and Scotland "B" going for the title ... but we elect to target Wales "A" over say Ireland "A" in order to try to win the competition? If we try to win the competition vs Wales "A" then Ireland "A" in a sense get preferential treatment but it is only becuase of the competition dynamics, it is not that we are trying to favour them or anyone else.

In the orignal example we are seen to favour Scotland "A" but it is just the competition dynamics at work ... surely it is reasonable to look to win the competition.

I don"t want to be in a position where people cry "soft play" when it is actually hard play FTW.

L

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
As long as it is competition dynamics, not soft play towards the other team from your country, fine

In practice, a lot of these things are subjective

p.s Do not tell the other Scottish player your hand if heads up in a key spot!

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 13:02:03 PM »
Great work - Scotland "B" FTW!  :)